Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: How bad is bad? (Star Trek Into Darkness)Posted: May 9th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Okay, I'm biased, but having been subjected to the trailer, I had to say something. I think the review say's it all; about ten light years at warp speed whatever from what was originally (and that means the first series with Shatner and co.) an original and exciting bit of SF :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/star ... eview.html

Cry havoc and unleash the Trekies :lol:

Last edited by TimothyC on May 17th, 2013, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Title edited for clairity

[Profile]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 9th, 2013, 11:00 pm
Do not listen to only one review, the person writing it might have a bis against the film.

I have just seen it and it is easily on par with Wrath of Kahn if not better.

[Profile]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 9th, 2013, 11:56 pm
how bad is bad?

It's bad if shit taste like shit...

but then that person that wrote the article are doing one mistake and that is to trying to see if it is similar to the old Star Trek, when this Star trek film is build around, what if and a parallel universe. (if I understand the film correct after the previous Star Trek movie)

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 10th, 2013, 2:06 am
I liked the new Star Trek film that came out a few years ago. I've only seen a few episodes of the old series and generally liked them as well.

[Profile]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 10th, 2013, 2:17 pm
The thing to keep in mind is this: The 2009 and 2013 Star Trek movies are not really reboots, as they've been proclaimed. In effect, it is an alternate universe as Heuhen stated. Chris Pine and crew are not replacing Shatner, Nimoy, et al. I am certain that if Da Shat could have played a 24 year old Kirk again, JJ Abrahms would have jumped at the chance.

I'd explain the whole alternate universe time travel thing, but such nonsense gives me nuclear powered cluster headaches and I've already got a conventionally powered migraine steaming it's way across my brain.

[Profile]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 10th, 2013, 3:11 pm
I haven't watched it yet, but I thought the first one was a decent film. Then again, I'm no Trekkie. In fact my only previous experience with Star Trek is watching a German dub of it on RTL when I was a kid.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 10th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Yeah... I only know the basics of the Star Trek storyline. So the J.J. Abrams reboot was hard to follow at first. Luckily I watched with a friend who has seen every single episode so he was able to explain it to me.

This thread got me wanting to watch the first film again so I did so last night and must say that it's definitely enjoyable... I think I am being dragged to the midnight screening of the new one with coworkers.

[Profile]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 10th, 2013, 5:54 pm
Well, shut ma mouth and call me Succotash :shock: Y'all ain't got ma point. (Reverts to Brit) My point dear shipmates is that I belong to that minority who consider Star Trek to be a wasted inheritance, beginning with the very first 'reboot' that gave us Jean-Luke Picard, a Frenchman played by an English thespian...what! I did try to watch it, seriously I did; but, it was like Little house on the prairie set in outer space, like watching paint dry. Us purists (yawn) enjoyed the pizaz of the original Star Trek - the polystyrene rocks and William Shatner being, well himself :lol: But that apart there were stories - actual stories, that gripped you, that made you think outside the norm. So, since then its essentially been down hill all the way. Which brings us to the latest crud. Um....interesting 9/11 in outer space? Or Die Hard in outer space? Or James Bond in outer space? Please, they even have the stock English villain; what is with you Septics? Are you still smarting from the war of 1812? haven't you noticed recently that most of the folk you find sinister are wearing tea towels on their heads? But that aside it just makes me weep to see what has become of the hope and aspiration of Gene Roddenberry's vision. At least they (the men in suits) had the decency to name the latest cash cow 'Star Trek into darkness', but you see, I've seen Jimmy Bond fighting on the roof of a train with the stock villain, so why oh why do I need to see new young 'bad acting' Kirk fighting on the roof of a digitally created space whatsit. To sum up, a formulaic 'block buster cynically engineered to appeal to teenage boys..............of all ages :twisted:

[Profile]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 11th, 2013, 5:18 pm
I agree with PB on this. I also watched the first reboot after seeing this thread. I remember having a go at it a couple of years ago and turning it off after 5 mins, reaching for the vomit bag - Kirk's mother giving birth in the escape pod, while brave ol' dad smashes his ship into the alien juggernaught... that did it for me. Now the new film is on its way out I wanted to watch the first one again and give it a fair go and this thread provided the impetus to get the film. As with all Hollywood blockbusters, you can't fault the graphics, sets, etc... I even thought the cast were ok. Its just the story lines are so damned awful and this applies to all the ST films that have been made. It usually involves some form of time travel, or connection with the 20th century. Angry Romulan seeks revenge by going back in time and blowing up Vulcan and earth... ok. How can Kirk be transported onto the enterprise when they are at warp speed??? There was some kind of half arsed explanation from old spock. Then the plan is to wind up spock-the-younger about his recently deceased mother, make him unfit for duty and take command of the ship... not logical. These are some of many parts of the plot that seemed tawdry and lazy. I'd like to know what percentage of time and effort goes into the screen writing of these films. When ever I watch these kind of films i always feel like I've been taken to a fancy restaurant, given a tasty meal and forced to drink a pint of urine to wash it down with.

I loved the original series when I was a kid, I didn't like the next generation when it first came out but warmed to it after a while, purely because it went on for so bloody long. After watching this latest monstrosity, I don't think I'll bother with the new film. Maybe I'll watch it with the sound off :P

[Profile]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: How bad is bad?Posted: May 13th, 2013, 11:54 am
However, they all were yesterday.
Today is now.
I will watch it. F**k the reviews (non personal abuse).

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: