Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
BrockPaine
Post subject: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 8:51 pm
I've had this 60% finished on my computer since - it appears - 2010. Since it's still never been drawn, I figured I should make some modest effort to finish what I start.

This is the Thai coast defense ship HTMS Thonburi, ordered from Kawasaki in Japan and laid down in 1936. (Her sister ship Sri Ayuthia followed in 1937). They were armed with 8" guns and powered by MAN diesel engines. In Siam/Thailand they were referred to as "battleships", and were apparently very well regarded. In January 1941, Thonburi and other ships of the Thai Navy operated along the eastern portion of the coast in support of ground operations against the Vichy French in Indochina. On January 17th, a French naval task force under Capitaine Berenger attacked the Thai forces at Koh Chang. Thonburi fought valiantly but was overwhelmed by gunfire from the French squadron. On fire and her magazines flooded, she was towed to Laem Ngob by HTMS Chang. There she was beached, eventually to be salvaged and placed back into service. After further adventures, she was decommissioned in 1959. Her bridge, mast, and forward 8" turret were preserved as a memorial at the Royal Thai Naval Academy, where they can be seen today.

[ img ]

Notes:
- I have absolutely no information about what's below the waterline on these ships.
- Details are taken from two drawings and a number of small, undated photographs. I was forced to use best judgment on a few issues due to the scarcity of information. The clearest photos, needless to say, are of the bridge and turret from the memorial at RTNA, and as nearly as I can tell, these details did not change substantially between her completion and retirement.
- Doesn't that swoopy fore-deck just look so nifty and Japanese? I just love it.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 8:54 pm
I love it! The fore deck curve makes it look slightly Yamato-ish, and something about the turrets really reinforce this impression! Fantastic work! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Thonburi main guns where the 200/50mm Type 3 Mod 1 (modell D turret) wich where also used on the Myoko class cruisers before their 1935-1936 reconstruction, you can find them here (the one at the bottom) and also use them freely on it as i've posted them on the IJN parts sheet

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 9:30 pm
BB1987 wrote:
Thonburi main guns where the 200/50mm Type 3 Mod 1 (modell D turret) wich where also used on the Myoko class cruisers before their 1935-1936 reconstruction, you can find them here (the one at the bottom) and also use them freely on it as i've posted them on the IJN parts sheet
I drew most of this, turrets included, prior to any parts sheets for IJN guns. I did look into using yours, but they don't match the scaling on my source drawings. Specifically, the gunhouse is six pixels longer in the back. Otherwise the dimensions seem to match up.

Now, what I could do is modify the length of your turrets so they'd fit. Would that be acceptable?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 9:39 pm
Looks very nice. Good work with somewhat forgotten but interesting warship!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 9:41 pm
a sad thing you have nothing on her hull, I would be interested.... anything like beam, displacement, depth and all those parameters, by chance?

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 9:47 pm
BrockPaine wrote:
I drew most of this, turrets included, prior to any parts sheets for IJN guns. I did look into using yours, but they don't match the scaling on my source drawings. Specifically, the gunhouse is six pixels longer in the back. Otherwise the dimensions seem to match up.

Now, what I could do is modify the length of your turrets so they'd fit. Would that be acceptable?
i didn't noticed it but you're right, Thonburi turrets are shorter, looking at the pictures from navweaps they look alike the model D turrets of the myoko but their back is not as long; i think it should be perfectly fine to use a shortened model D on your ship.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HTMS ThonburiPosted: February 12th, 2013, 10:09 pm
this is ll a could get hold of:

With low detail underwater hull:
http://www.thailand-diving.org/anglais/ ... _viewx.jpg

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... ip-015.jpg

What I can gadder out of this drawings is:

- the bow start it's lift at the gun bud it doesn't lift as vilant as you'rs do.
- she have probably two shaft since she have two engine. One single ruder at stern and apparently no keel! for the placement of the bilge keel, use logic and see on other pictures.
- here turrets look totally different of what you have drawn, take a look in the IJN part sheet and modify one to fit.
- there are more wiring in the mast!
- The front part or the superstructure is at an angle and not round or flat, you need to fix that
- the aft superstructure is to big.
- the funnel could need some work.
- here aft deck is under-detailed. in fact the entire ship is under-detailed and could need some more work.
- There are No shading.

here size is:
Length:252.66 ft (77.01 m)
Beam:47.25 ft (14.40 m)
Draft: 13.75 ft (4.19 m)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: