Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 53 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 151 52 53 54 5590 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Check the colors of the hull near the propellers, as it doesn't seem to be the same color with the rest of the ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 10:03 pm
Thiel wrote:
How did you manage 32kts when the actual engineers couldn't?
It can, if it had the same type of steam turbines a heavy cruiser would have, which is certainly doable (it would make the ship a German version of an Indepenence/Saipan). My only question is why doesn't Ashley clarify that.
Ashley wrote:
It's likely to get caught in the 'reality vs. AU'-trap, I know. We don't leave the space of real physics in AU, we just create new or bend some existing timelines.
But it isn't physically possible because diesels generate gobs of torque, not horsepower. This is an extremely broad generalization but one is good for hauling stuff (which is why 100,000t tankers with a cruise speed of 15 knots have a single diesel engine) while the other is good for going fast (which is why carriers and cruisers have lots of steam turbines and lots of screws).

And the fix is incredibly simple - you don't even need to change a damn thing on the drawing, just say they swapped out the original specs for cruiser turbines.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Nice work!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 13th, 2012, 7:17 am
klagldsf wrote:
It can, if it had the same type of steam turbines a heavy cruiser would have, which is certainly doable (it would make the ship a German version of an Indepenence/Saipan).
Much less than a heavy cruiser. The displacement is 6.200 tons empty. 2 Brown, Boveri, & Co. steam turbines, 6 boilers, 69,800 hp, and 3 MAN double-acting 12-cylinder two-stroke diesels, 12,400 hp each. The diesels could add their power to the steam turbines.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 13th, 2012, 8:46 am
So it's COSAD then.

[Profile] [Quote]
dreadnaught111
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 17th, 2012, 6:41 pm
Just a Question:

Are you planning to make a map of this AU and/or show us some of the navies of the other Axis/Axis Aligned (Francoist Spain, Vichy France, the Italian Social Republic, Japan) and the other Allied (Britain, U.S., Rump Soviet Union, etc.) powers?

If not, I'd love to do my own AU with the other European Axis Powers. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 17th, 2012, 8:47 pm
dreadnaught111 wrote:
Just a Question:

Are you planning to make a map of this AU and/or show us some of the navies of the other Axis/Axis Aligned (Francoist Spain, Vichy France, the Italian Social Republic, Japan) and the other Allied (Britain, U.S., Rump Soviet Union, etc.) powers?

There's an open thread Japan here: http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1027. (I think it is still so)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 17th, 2012, 9:16 pm
As the founder of that thread, I've got several CLs and CAs planned.

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: History LinePosted: January 17th, 2012, 10:30 pm
1918: US Troops send more troops to France but suffer unbearable losses at Amiens
1919: US retreat from Europe, allies ask for armistice, Kaiser accepts, war ends
1920: uprisings in Germany, army stops communist revolt
1921: Kaiser Wilhelm II. retreats, people elect parliament, constitutional monarchy is accepted
1922: Naval Disarmament Treaty, August von Mackensen is elected as new Kaiser August II.
1923-1931: mostly as reality
1932: August II. retreats, Friedrich IV. is elected for Kaiser,
1933: Austria and some wishes to merge with Germany
1934: Austria, Germany, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania merge to the Germanian Empire under Friedrich IV.
1935: Slovakia and Slovenia enter the Germanian Empire, new disarmament treaty is rejected, rearmament begins
1936: Belarus enters the Germanian Empire, a new arms race has begun
1937: Czech enters the Germanian Empire under pressure
1938: Ukraina tries to enter the Empire but is hold back at the USSR with force
1939: Poland is invaded, germanian parliament is suspended by martial law
1940: Belgium, Netherlands and France are occupied, UK asks for armistice
1941: a short period of unstable peace in europe, Japan attacks USA
1942-1944: war rages at pacific, revolts at USSR, Ukraina declares independence
1945: Germanian diplomats endow peace at pacific, USSR decays
1946: the Germanian Empire invades the british isles, the UK is lost
1947: ex UK-colonies declare independence before overrun by germanian troops
1948: The germanian empire is led by the parliament again, Friedrich IV. retreats
1949: cold war between the germanian and japanese empires starts

This alternative timeline is not that unprobable as it might look like. History is just a chain of coincidences. This one was created by Dr. Martin Reuter, a historian at Cologne university. It was his dissertation. He died in 2010 in a car accident. Martin was a good friend of mine.

So there was no Hitler, no f**ing nazis at all, but the world has found its way to war anyway. Civilisation, moralty and ethics are a very thin shroud covering our barbarian nature. I am very happy to live nowadays and in reality. It could be worse. Much worse.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 17th, 2012, 10:41 pm
dreadnaught111 wrote:
Just a Question:

I would be happy to see more AUs on the KM46 timeline. Matt did a good start with his japanese thread. I made some steps into the direction of Bezo's greek AU. Make it work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 53 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 151 52 53 54 5590 »

Jump to: