Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 16  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 816 »
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 15th, 2011, 11:24 am
Now you might want to somehow lower the aft 5" director, which would be engulfed with smoke from the stacks. Also, you could switch out the positions of the torpedoes and stacks so they are farther away from the director.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 15th, 2011, 2:42 pm
I'm playing with it...moving the Director was easy, since I removed the aft-most 40mm director (I figured Mt. 40-5 is close enough to 40-4 and 40-3 that it would use either one of their directors.) And moving the stacks seems to create more breathing room for the Torpedo tubes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 8:46 am
New part!

While working on the Defiant class, I played with the idea of using the 155mm Vertical loading gunmount used on the Guided Missile Cruiser. To do so, I would need a redesigned gunshield. The result I got was a 155mm-62 Caliber vertical loading gun.

Optimum range of this weapon is about 15 miles, or about 19 using RAP projectiles. The weapon is capable of firing both Copperhead and Excaliber guided munitions, as well as many standard 155mm artillery shells.

New to this version is a cooling system within the walls of the gun, allowing extended periods of firing, as well as a reduced-RCS gunshield.

The mount is capable of firing 10-12 rounds per minute. 75 rounds are kept in three ready-use drums below deck.
Attachment:
teq_155_62_vlgm.png
Specifications:

Length: Gun, 62 calibers (31.5 feet); overall, 40.5 feet

Height: Above deck, 13 feet; Overall (including deck penetration), 21 feet (Basic installation, with no additional magazine spaces)

Weight: 60 tons

Elevation: -15 to +90 at 20 degrees per second (Firing angle is between -15 and +65)

Traverse: 160 Degrees port or starboard of center @ 30 degrees per second

This system is compatible with a wide variety of available fire control systems, and represents a standardized caliber for many nations.

In operation, the gun barrel elevates to 90 degrees, the breach block slides down (forward relative to the mount), and the shell and propellant are rammed from the top of the hoist into the breach. As the rammer retracts, the breach closes, and the gun depresses to the set firing angle. on the return to vertical, the gun ejects the spent casing at approximately 75 degrees, where it is ejected from the rear of the mount. Firing angle is limited to +65 degrees to avoid damaging the reloading mechanism.

Wieght

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 3:33 pm
I think it's time to hear about some ships in action, don't you? After all, most navies don't buy ships and then leave them at the pier. This "news story" depicts a fictional action during the military intervention in Libya.
Quote:
This Article is a work of fiction. It depicts a fictional engagement occuring during the 2011 Lybian Civil War.

Victoria Daily Tribune
May 19th, 2011

Conquerer, Fearless shell Jamahiriya Battery
At Sea with Cruiser Squadron 1-Two Tequilapolian Naval Vessels, TNS Conquerer and TNS Fearless, engaged Libyan loyalist artillery units near the coastal town of Zliten yesterday.
The engagement began around 7:30 AM local time, when Jamahiriya artillery units, moving along the coast from Tripoli, began shelling concentrations of civilian protesters within the town of Zliten, a coastal city near Misrata. Six self-propelled howitzers, supported by an unknown number of support vehicles, moved into a possition about 8 miles west of the town. The battery set up a firing line and began lobbing shells into the center of the city, where an Anti-Ghaddafi rally was underway.
An SH-60 Helicopter from Fearless, flying a patrol along the beach, reported the explosions visible near the center of town. At first, the aircrew reported the explosions as either IEDs or suicide bombers. When several shells hit the roofs of buildings, the aircrew then changed it's report to an artillery bombardment. Climbing several hundred feet, the helicopter was able to identify the location of the Jamahiriya battery.
Reporting to Commodore John Robert, Commanding Cruiser Squadron 1 aboard Conquerer, the crew requested immediate intervention. The Commanding Officer passed the word along to the regional air commander, who reported no air assets were available.
At approximately 07:40 AM, General Quarters was sounded aboard the two Dominator-class Guided Missile Cruisers. The ships entered Libyan territorial waters, closing the range to13 miles, and opened fire with their main guns, with a Firescout UAV from Conquerer acting as a spotter.

At 7:43 AM, the Libyan battery broke off it's attack and turned north, towards the beach, to engage the Cruisers. Fire from the two cruisers destroyed two supporting vehicles and an armored personnel carrier during the battery's transit. The battery stopped short of the beach, behind a sand burm around 8 AM and resumed firing.

Commodore Robert ordered Conquerer to continue firing conventional rounds to provide cover, while Fearless switched to the GPS guided Excalibur shells, and began to target individual vehicles, again with the aid of the Firescout.

At 8:20, the Firescout's cameras showed one self-propelled gun and several support vehicles fleeing the action, in the direction of Zliten. By this time, NATO Aircraft had arrived on scene and attached the retreating convoy with air to surface missiles.

During the engagement, Conquerer was hit by a pair of 155mm shells, which passed through her bow without exploding. The damage is not critical, and the ship is expected to remain on station for the duration of the deployment.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 4:08 pm
To be honest that sounds more like a job for a helicopter with ATGMs or rockets.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 4:12 pm
Probably. I wanted an excuse for the ships to use those big 155s, though...And the SH-60 was carrying Penguins, looking for Libyan surface craft.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Alright, friends, this design has two explainations: One in-universe, one real world.

In universe, this design (and that's all it is, it's a paper monster.) came about as a result of criticisms from the Legislature that the Dominator class, the largest and most powerful ships in the fleet, were suffering from, as one legislator put it, "An excess of obsolescence", to which the Navy responded with a new design. Much larger than Dominator, and fitted with a very advanced compliment of sensors, processing systems, and communications gear, the ship was tentatively identified as "CGC", a Guided Missile Command ship.

The real-world explaination is, this ship is the result of a Vicodin-induced drawing spree.

[ img ]

Length: Waterline: 608.5 feet, Overall, 628.5 feet

Beam: Waterline, 80 feet; Main deck, 88 feet; bridge wings, 94 feet

Draft: Maximum, 33.67 feet

Displacement: 14,500 tons

Powerplant: COGAG, 3 shafts, 6 x LM-2500+ Gas Turbines

Range: 4500 nm at 20 knots

Speed: 30+ knots

Crew: 30 officers, 320 enlisted

Armament:
2 x Mk. 4 155mm/62 caliber Vertical Load Gun Mounts

4 x Mk. 41: 2 x 64 cell Strike Length cells, 2 x 8 cell Self Defense modules

3 x Goalkeeper CIWS

Fittings for up to 16 Harpoon SSM

2 x Mk. 32 SVTT

Support Craft:

Internal small craft bay can carry up to 4 11m RIB, Remote Mine-hunting systems, and unmanned surface and submersible crafts

3 SH-60 or 4 SA.365 helicopters

Sensors:
APAR
SMART-L
SeaMaster Surface Search
2 x Kingston Marine Electronics Navigational Radars
1 x KME Multi-Function bow Sonar

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 9:03 pm
I have doubts about the APAR mast, that might not fit that well.... have to check it's internals though. I can't seem to find the seamaster. also, that ECM system is meant to have something on top if.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 9:09 pm
Seawatcher 100, not Seamaster...my goof, and it's right above the APAR array on the mast. I kinda went overboard on trying to cram as much as I could onto the mast.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: the Republic of TequilapoliPosted: October 18th, 2011, 9:13 pm
ah that explains it :P
also, you won't need all that. remove the IFF, the minisatcoms and the seawatcher, and move stuff around a bit until the APAR plates have one entirely free deck around them... and then some lights on the mast and you're done :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 16  [ 154 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 816 »

Jump to: