Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 37 of 51  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page « 135 36 37 38 3951 »
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 16th, 2015, 3:51 pm
Rhade wrote:
Absolutely awesome, beyond words... Naixoterk excellent job!

No idea that Knights of Malta did operate a own "air force"... any more info about that?
That was the only aircraft owned by them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_ ... _the_order

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
  • Grumman F4F Wildcat/Grumman G-36
    Caproni Ca.135bis

[Profile]
deankal55
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 16th, 2015, 4:03 pm
Rhade,

The Knights of Malta were based in Rome, not Malta. Malta was a British colony when the SM.82s were marked with the Knights of Malta roundels. This was done because the treaty ending Italy's participation on the Axis side of WWII forbade Italy from having bombers. The SM.82s could be used as bombers, and in fact had conducted bombing missions during the war. They could also be useful for an organization that provided medical aid such as the Knights of Malta. So to keep them from being broken up, the Italian government got around the treaty requirements by transferring them to the Knights of Malta. In reality it was all a sham.

The SM.82 at the Italian Air Force Museum is marked in the SMOM roundels.

[Profile]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 16th, 2015, 5:31 pm
Radome wrote:
Beautiful drawing of a beautiful piece of a machine.
Any chance youll draw some of Israeli awesome paintjobs? :roll:
[ img ]
[ img ]
Israel - Bell AH-1F Tzefa
[ img ]

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

Last edited by darthpanda on February 17th, 2015, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile]
Radome
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 16th, 2015, 7:25 pm
Thank you!! :P
[ img ]

[Profile]
Cunardfan
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 16th, 2015, 10:24 pm
I've been going through the ole work in progress folder, this one of was mostly done so I finished it up. The Fairchild Metroliner was a small 19 seat twin turboprop commuter/regional airliner produced from 1981 to 1998.

[ img ]

My hometown airline Horizon Air operated Metroliner III from 1983 until December of 1997. This aircraft is depicted in the 1980s paint scheme.
[ img ]

Horizon again, depicted in the paint scheme introduced in 1992/3 until the aircraft's retirement with Horizon in December 1997
[ img ]

Cunard Line Ascania (final 1950s configuration)
Cunard Line RMS Aquitania

[Profile]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 17th, 2015, 9:22 am
@Darth Panda
Awesome work on AH-1F! :D

@Cunardfan
Nice work, but I have some reservations. First of all, the engine intakes look on Your drawing like they are symmetricaly surrounding the propeller cone, while in reality the intake is above the propeller.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ro_III.jpg
Also, it looks like the bottom part of the engine nacelle (below the wing) is missing part of the contour, so it looks like it was essentialy extending from the fuselage.

[Profile]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 17th, 2015, 8:16 pm
Let me tell you a small story about a B-24 bomber captured in Italy by Italians.

During a raid on the Sicilian city of Palermo on 24th February 1943, the B-24D-1-CO s/n.41-23659 'Blonde Bomber II', of the 343rd, 98th BG 'The Pyramiders' 9th AF. 'Blonde Bomber II', flown by the crew of Lt.Dan Story, was hit in one of the engines by anti-air fire, making it unlikely that they could be back to their base in Lybia, so the pilot decided to set course to Malta, but because of the horrible weather their orientation wasn't the best possible so they landed in an airfield of south-eastern Sicily located in the town of Pachino thinking that it was Malta.
After realizing their mistake they tried to take off but the rain had turned the runway into a bog so the local Italian authorities took the crew as POWs and seized the airplane.
Using the remaining fuel on the airplane depot, the Cpt. Giovanni Raino took off to Catania on 4th March 1943 in order to refuel the airplane with German fuel because the Italian one had less octanes than the American one making the engines to not work at 100% of their capability.
After refueling they had to take the airplane to the test center of Guidonia, close to Rome, that's why he painted white crosses and the Italian roundel underwings (in the pic, the first drawing), however it proved to be useless because the Italian AA didn't distinguished it as one of their own and opened fire. Fortunately for Cpt. Raino, the damage wasn't too serious and he could reach his destination, if only with two engines.

On 11th March 1943 the Luftwaffe applied to the Regia Aeronautica to hand over the B-24 to make some testing in Germany, so on 19th June 1943 Cpt. Raini flew the B-24 from Guidonia to Rechlin, Germany, this painted in continental Italian colours and civilian registration I-RAIN as many propagandistic photos of that year show. During the testings the airplane held its Italian markings and it was damaged during landing after a test flight by the German crew. After that incident it was never repaired because the Luftwaffe had already many other and better Liberators and they rather focused their efforts on other kind of airplanes.

Italy, Consolidated B-24 Liberator:
[ img ]

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
    Caproni Ca.135bis

Last edited by Naixoterk on February 18th, 2015, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile]
Imperialist
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 17th, 2015, 10:17 pm
I was thinking about doing that scheme for the Liberator at some point but you've done it justice, good work Naixoterk :)

Germany AU Thread
Luft '46 Thread

List of Aircraft with Acquired Data (Updated)
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p123956

[Profile]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 17th, 2015, 10:21 pm
Fantastic work everyone!

@Naixoterk:
Outstanindg work on the Liberator.
My only nitpick would be that "Mecklenburg-Vorpommern" was not-existent in 1943.
It was only founded after the German reunification in 1990.
As far as I know, Rechlin was part of "Mecklenburg" during the Third Reich.

But you might want to verify this for yourself, since this is just from the top of my head - I'm from a different part of the country...

[Profile]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: FD scale aircrafts 10 - The second generationPosted: February 17th, 2015, 11:03 pm
@Imperialist: Thanks!

@Maomatic: You're right, i just looked in wikipedia where Rechlin is and it told me where it is nowadays. I didn't bother to look where was it during WW2 era. Anyway i've corrected it.

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
    Caproni Ca.135bis

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 37 of 51  [ 505 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 135 36 37 38 3951 »

Jump to: