Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 37 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 135 36 37 38 39137 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 7th, 2012, 7:52 am
Navweaps has a section on British naval guns
Also, I'd expect the ones that enter service before WWII to carry more boats and less LAA.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 7th, 2012, 8:08 am
Thiel wrote:
Navweaps has a section on British naval guns
Also, I'd expect the ones that enter service before WWII to carry more boats and less LAA.
ooh. Thanks for the link. That is nice.

Yeah, the first group, the Windwards, do have fewer AA guns, 2pdr's instead of 20mm and 40mm.

Rowdy36 wrote:
How about the 4.5in turrets used on a couple of the Dido class cruisers?

[ img ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_4.5_inc ... _naval_gun
OK, thats possible. Right now, I've switched to the 4.7" Mk XII on the Mk XIX twin mount, but that turret is a possibility.

I've changed the image of the Newydd's in the Class post to reflect the change in guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 7th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Got them updated with cranes and some more light directors. Images posted HERE

I believe I am fair well satisfied with them as is now.

Unless I have missed something else, that is.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 7th, 2012, 4:37 pm
You will not need the floating rangefinder IIRC. The Atlanta class used the Mk.37 directors exclusively for fire control. Before they received Mk.12/22 radar on the Mk.37 directors though, they did have a rangefinder above the bridge. This really depends on what time period you're displaying it.

Might be interesting to see this ship evolve with new radars and fire control suites added each year.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 7th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Yeah, I wasn't real happy with how they were placed anyhow. I'll erase them later today and re-update the images then. Other than that, though, do they look alright?

Development could be an interesting project indeed. I believe I might leave that for later on though, as I get more comfortable with radar develoment and what goes where and when and why. Thats one great thing about this fictitious country of mine, I am never finished with it. Some youngster on NS asked me one time if I was done, ... my answer was "Not yet, I'll probably be finished when they plant me.". It kinda went over his head, but since most of y'all here are more my age range and interest level, I'm sure you'll understand what I meant by that. ;)

Next up, though, I move back in time a bit more, to the late 20's - early 30's, for a class of heavy cruisers. Pretty much going to be analogs to the RN County class, but like the rest of the doodles I've been doing of late, I want to make them my own and not just line-for-line copies. Similar capabilities and such, but my own design. Y'all have infected me. I'm not satisfied with using RL designs anymore, I want unique! :lol:

Of course, once I finish with my cruiser classes back to the 1880's, I'm undecided whether to then try and do my Battleship and Battlecruiser classes, or Destroyers. Decisions, decisions. Aircraft Carriers, I think I'll wait until I get a few more skills and a bit more knowledge on design first. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 10th, 2012, 8:51 pm
The next project... Heavy Cruiser "Jupiter" Class. Four ships commissioned in 1927-9.

[ img ]

I need some help on the conning tower and aft superstructure details as I don't want to just go placing stuff at random. I'd like things to have a purpose. So, if there is something I missed, or a good location or better location for items, or a better looking aft mast (I'd like it to stay part of the lattice tower though), ... please, just chime on in.

The idea was to have a class of 4 large heavies to act as flagships for cruiser squadrons, 1 Jupiter per squadron, in fleet actions. While this rarely happened in practice as the cruisers were either parceled out in divisions or singly, depending on the mission, that was the theory behind it.

One thing to remember, this is the "as built" image, so whatever suggestions would need to fit the late 20's-early 30's timeframe. (The twin engine float plane didn't last long, they were all replaced by 1930 with additional IIIf's as they proved too large for cruiser operations. Original deployment, 1 T2D and 2 IIIF's.)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 10th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Looks fairly nice. I would probably stick with standard heavy cruiser armament arrangement though (2 turrets forward and 1 aft). What you have right now looks more like a light cruiser armed with 6" guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 10th, 2012, 9:45 pm
And quintessentially Japanese. There's definitely potential for however for it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 11th, 2012, 5:35 am
Yeah, the Japanese heavies of the 30's definately inspired this. Always have liked the look of those cruisers, they looked like they meant business.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 11th, 2012, 11:28 am
Kimono My House - 'I think I'm turning Japanese' ;) So yes, there is that influence; my only advice (so far) would be to reverse the hangar and catapult.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 37 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 135 36 37 38 39137 »

Jump to: