Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 34 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 132 33 34 35 36137 »
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 9:34 am
You've turned out a nice looking vessel and drawing there Zephyr, I think the masts look good as they are :) On an aesthetic note as Clonecommander6454 pointed out the area at the base of the funnels looks a little empty but that is your prerogative as to whether you put anything there 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 11:06 am
It's looking better.
Anyway, you have a copy-paste error on the forward 40mm.
Also given the timeframe I find it unlikely that she'd carry boats. Instead I'd replace them with two 40mm guns.
Oh and remove the 20mm gun from the funnel. It has a lousy arc of fire and you're never going to be able to keep it supplied with ammunition.
And remove the wires that runs from the mast to the fantail. One look at the catapult should tell you why.
Lastly I'll second the raked funnels. They'd definitely look better on this design.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 1:23 pm
Boats - On the Grenadier class design somebody had asked about the boat being shipped on there, and I mentioned in passing that
Quote:
I left the boats on there as it is a tradition to have at least some ships boats on cruiser sized and up vessels. Like most traditions, it sometimes flies in the face of common sense, but thats how we do things...
Its just one of those things that I want to stick with.

Any suggestions on what could be put on the funnel, or just lose that position altogether?

The wires that run to the fantail... I had considered explaining those away by saying "The single catapult is offset to port, and only launches to port", but that sounded weird even to me. I was looking at the Wichita and just saw how they solved the problem, by having the wires higher on the staff astern of the crane. I'll just have to add an ensign staff I guess.

Looking at it, I can see a few spots where I can add some more 20's midships. Fixed the forward 40mm.

Still not sure about the raked funnels. I honestly think the straight ones look better. But thats just me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Fair enough I suppose. You're going to need a way to launch the boat though

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 1:41 pm
There are davits behind it. The forward davit is at the front of the forward boat cabin (kinda hidden by the fact it seems to blend with the trailing edge of the forward funnel) and the aft davit is right behind the 2nd port in the aft boat cabin. I admit, since they seem to blend in with the funnels, they are kinda hard to see. Maybe I should color them a bit darker to make them more visible?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 2:31 pm
She is (now) looking better, especially the aft hull, and overall its a pleasing design. I will happily retract my doubts on so many dual 5.25-in mounts, but I'm not sold on the distribution and type of light aa. Certainly the 40mm Hazemeyer was around, but it was'nt that satisfactory in service, though better that the multiple 'pom poms'. Likewise the twin 20mm was okay, but again, in service it was found too light against determined attack. I woul go for a bog standard dual USN 40mm twin, and re-arrange the mid section to accomodate more; and drop the bow mount as it looks too exposed. And I'm voting for astright funnels :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 2:46 pm
You'll need something quite a bit larger to launch them. Check out the davits on the post-war LSTs to see just how large.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 3:42 pm
larger davits...check.

Bill, do you mean the 40mm twin Bofors?

Of course, another way to look at the 20mm question is that we are looking at it with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, and what is apparent now may not have been so apparent then as they were being built. *shrug* Just a random thought.

As for the bow mount... I'm kinda like Colo in that regard. Yeah, I know its exposed, and the gunners will most likely be very wet most of the time,... but damned if I don't like the looks of it. :lol:

EDIT: I'll post an updated version tonight after I get home from work. Right now, I need to go lay down for a bit since I was up until 4:30 drawing things, then got back up at 7:30 so I could get some stuff to the Post Office before the lines got too long, and had to feed the cats (they were rather insistent on that one).

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Quote:
Bill, do you mean the 40mm twin Bofors?
Yes, I'd probably choose the USN twin, as it was in service in WWII; the alternative is the RN twin, but that was a post-war adaption, after the Hazemeyer, and the mulitiple pom pom. Even then, the USN decided that the smallest calibre to disintegrate an incoming plane was 3-in/76mm, but that was against piloted guided missiles aka kamikaze planes :)

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Hazemeyer was one of the best AA guns around at the time.. I know it's not from the USN though ;)

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 34 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 132 33 34 35 36137 »

Jump to: