Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 12  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 612 »
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 27th, 2016, 10:28 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Interesting choices of weapons.

Missed the credits on the M-46 130mm.
Oh whoops. I'll fix it!

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 28th, 2016, 1:46 am
There. I fixed it

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 28th, 2016, 1:52 am
I think I'm going to wait a bit to post the carrier here. I wanted to finish up the 1950's-early 80's before I post a design that i plan to date from the late 80's. I might post a WIP version of it for help with any design features that I may be missing.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 28th, 2016, 6:24 am
Is there a specific reason that nearly all your land systems enter service way earlier than IRL?
Top offender would be the Osa, for which I find a quoted (Soviet) IOC of 1972, and that's for the original version with the four, non-boxed missiles. The Osa-AK/AKM you depict is late-1970s, so a good ten years later than what you went for, and was not exported until the 1980s.
Even the M-46 is several years early for Soviet service, and 10 to 15 for export.
Even if you want to depict the CCCN as a privileged Soviet client, bear in mind that export versions were always produced once the most pressing needs of the Soviet forces were covered.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 28th, 2016, 11:56 am
citizen lambda wrote:
Is there a specific reason that nearly all your land systems enter service way earlier than IRL?
Top offender would be the Osa, for which I find a quoted (Soviet) IOC of 1972, and that's for the original version with the four, non-boxed missiles. The Osa-AK/AKM you depict is late-1970s, so a good ten years later than what you went for, and was not exported until the 1980s.
Even the M-46 is several years early for Soviet service, and 10 to 15 for export.
Even if you want to depict the CCCN as a privileged Soviet client, bear in mind that export versions were always produced once the most pressing needs of the Soviet forces were covered.
I see. That makes sense. I saw that the M-46 entered service in 1946 and therefore assumed that a date in the mid 50's would be OK for it to be exported. The Osa on the other hand I saw entered service in 1961, and I will admit that my date is a bit early. I will fix them later today, thank you for the tip.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 28th, 2016, 6:01 pm
may I recommend taking a bit more time for your drawings? most if not all look a bit unfinished now..... think about lights, mast fittings, hatches, mooring gear, radars, handrails, liferafts, flagpoles.......

also keep an eye on deck penetration of your systems, for example the AK-230 on your destroyer goes straight trough your pilothouse.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 28th, 2016, 8:40 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
may I recommend taking a bit more time for your drawings? most if not all look a bit unfinished now..... think about lights, mast fittings, hatches, mooring gear, radars, handrails, liferafts, flagpoles.......

also keep an eye on deck penetration of your systems, for example the AK-230 on your destroyer goes straight trough your pilothouse.
Ok I will. Thank you!

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 28th, 2016, 11:30 pm
[ img ]
-First purchased in 1959, the T/54 MBT was the first modern tank fielded by the CCCN army. It was acquired in small numbers for evaluation that year, and 40 more were purchased in 1961. After 5 more years in service, 30 additional units were purchased, as they were being phased out of service with the Warsaw Pact in favor of the T-62 main battle tank. The T-55M replaced them all in service in the early 80's, although by that time they had been replaced largely by the T-62, which was brought in during the mid-70's. They are technically still in service, but are rapidly being outclassed by modern MBT's developed to keep pace with the rest of the world. This image shows the T-55M and MB models that featured improved optics, gun systems, engines, and a modernized armor system.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 29th, 2016, 12:25 am
-Air force helicopters!

[ img ]
-The Mil Mi-24 was the CCCN air force's first operational attack helicopter. Before the acquisition of this fine machine, the air force relied on it's 18 rocket/missile-equipped Mi-2 utility choppers. The Mi-24 was first acquired in 1983, with an order of 12 initial production models. These could only handle rocket pods and cannons, and not the new anti-tank missiles being used by Russian and Warsaw Pact front-line states. Another order was placed for 16 choppers armed with AT-3 Sagger AT missiles in 1985. These machines also featured improved optics and communication. A further 32 of the newest model were acquired in 1988, and all are still in official service.

[ img ]
-The Mi-2 was the CCCN Air force's primary utility helicopter from it's introduction in 1978 until the present day. It was also the primary attack helicopter from 1980-83, when it was replaced by the Mi-24. A first batch of 16 aircraft were acquired in 1979, being used by Aerial Logistics Squadrons to transport troops, supplies, and equipment like mortars, light artillery pieces, and other items. 48 more of them were ordered in 1982. 8 of these were equipped with 57-mm rocket pods and heavy machine guns. They functioned as the Air Force's main ground support choppers until they were replaced. 10 more were ordered in 1982, equipped specially to fire AT-3 anti-tank missiles. 24 more were acquired in 1985, in utility configuration. They are all currently still in service, but are being augmented by more modern Mi-8 utility choppers. 12 were sold to Nicaraguan communist rebels in 1984, being used as light attack helicopters equipped with frag grenade launchers and 7.62-mm door machine guns.

RegiaMarina1939

Last edited by RegiaMarina1939 on November 29th, 2016, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Communist Community of Caribbean Nations!Posted: November 29th, 2016, 5:52 pm
RegiaMarina1939 wrote:
-Air force helicopters!
Now that's realistic IOC dates! Maybe a tad conservative at that ;)
OK; I'll se myself out...

The 1970s-80s evolution of your helicopter force sounds sensible and similar to that of some IRL forces. Developing a light-attack concept on the Mi-2 and then transitioning to the Mi-24 is good, but might have happened earlier, if helicopters were a local priority (see below).
The bit about the initial batch of Hinds not being fitted for (or delivered with) ATGMs and the rest carrying AT-3s is a nice touch too, though one assumes that a competent air force would have had them re-wired as soon as more modern models became available.

Still, I'm a bit surprised that you don't mention earlier helicopters. For a modern and geographically dispersed nation such as your CCCN, a dedicated transport helicopter like the Mi-8 should have been a priority acquisition at least 10 years earlier. Not to mention you taking about "more modern Mi-4 utility choppers" when the Mi-4 is the granddaddy of them all and should have been the first transport helo to enter CCCN service in the 1960s. Or is that bit just a typo and you were thinking of another model? Right know what you describe is akin to replacing Jet Rangers with Chichasaws in time for Operation Desert Storm...
Also, evolving from Mi-4 to Mi-8 to rocket-armed Mi-8TV and then branching out to Mi-24s would be more typical of Soviet-inspired doctrine, where the highlight is on assault landings and fire support, not tank-hunting. Not to say that your evolution is impossible, just atypical. Out of the Soviet allies I can think of, only Poland went this way, as well as Yugoslavia to an extent.

Of course, if you're preparing another post detailing the 1950s-70s history of the CCCN helicopter force, please disregard all of the above - except the Mi-4 part, of course.

Side note: are the non-Comintern relations of the CCCN so bad that they can't score helicopters from non-Soviet sources at all? An earlier side-order of some Alouettes or AB-47s or Westland Scouts would be another plausible start for a light-helicopter force, see e.g. Romania or Yugoslavia.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 12  [ 111 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 612 »

Jump to: