Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 14th, 2013, 12:57 am
Revised:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 14th, 2013, 3:09 am
Facing a quandary. I can't decide what design I'd like to use for the Conqueror class...

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 14th, 2013, 4:32 am
Well the LEUT_East one gives you a hanger for two helos and the acelanceloet one gives you more missiles so I would say it depends on your overall fleet compilation and primary threat. Do you have a relatively small navy lacking a large amount of helicopter carrying ships yet facing an enemy with a legitimate submarine force that poses a threat, go with the LEUT_East. This design also provides more peacetime flexibility with the helos. Are you facing primarily surface warships and planes? Maybe go with the extra missiles especially if most wartime missions will be defending home where their will be ample locations other than your destroyers for helo operation. The designs are pretty much equal and generally similar considering they're both AEGIS missile destroyers, so I say it boils down to which one you think fills North Point's needs more, even if its barely, and which design you just is better style wise considering it's an AU.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 14th, 2013, 5:49 am
Why compromise?

[ img ]

Edited so that the image I wanted to show up now shows up.

Last edited by klagldsf on November 19th, 2013, 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 14th, 2013, 6:32 pm
With the relatively smaller SPY-1 faces, I think I would try to bear in mind that this isn't going to be a Burke/Tico-class AAW combatant (indeed, I'm skeptical of SM-2ER-class weapons being all that useful in service). Helos offer so much more flexibility in service that I would have a really hard time arguing in favor of Ace's drawing. I think an argument could be made for somewhat more gutsy radars in either case.

I also unashamedly love the look of the SPY-1-above-pilothouse superstructures, from a purely aesthetic point of view.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 14th, 2013, 6:43 pm
Hey Colo, why don't you designate the alternate "Conqueror"-class as CGs, renaming and keeping them too. I just think your first "Conquerors" are so pretty awesome, so I wouldn't want to not use them!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 14th, 2013, 7:00 pm
you might also have a go with the mirai design, which offers best of both (2 helicopters on an kongo, with a bit less missiles that is) or an atago (which looks less good then kongo, but has the advantage of being real and not loosing any missile capacity compared to the mirai) (speaking of the mirai, I should finish that drawing :S)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 15th, 2013, 5:05 am
You could just put SPY-1 on them. It would definitely fin on Ace's, but probably LEUT's too.

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 15th, 2013, 5:25 am
I have added SPY-1 arrays for a comparison.
[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: The Republic of North PointPosted: November 15th, 2013, 8:20 pm
erik_t wrote:
With the relatively smaller SPY-1 faces, I think I would try to bear in mind that this isn't going to be a Burke/Tico-class AAW combatant (indeed, I'm skeptical of SM-2ER-class weapons being all that useful in service). Helos offer so much more flexibility in service that I would have a really hard time arguing in favor of Ace's drawing. I think an argument could be made for somewhat more gutsy radars in either case.

I also unashamedly love the look of the SPY-1-above-pilothouse superstructures, from a purely aesthetic point of view.
Yes, I agree re: aesthetically. Hence why I went with those two designs at first.

I have to admit I am a total noob when it comes to modern systems - I just copy/pasted LEUT_East's SPY arrays because they were more detailed, and since this is an AU the objective is to look nice. ;) I didn't know it was a different SPY model. What I will probably do is just scale them up to whatever size used by the American aegis ships as that's what these designs are supposed to have.
Quote:
Hey Colo, why don't you designate the alternate "Conqueror"-class as CGs, renaming and keeping them too. I just think your first "Conquerors" are so pretty awesome, so I wouldn't want to not use them!
Eh, right now I've got six aegis ships in service which is already pushing it IMO. I'm going to go with the Castlemaine derivative (from LEUT_East) as the canonical Conqueror class, and will probably use the derivative of Ace's excellent Kongo as a design for a friend's nation who needs some ships.

Thanks again guys for all the feedback.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: