Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 30 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 128 29 30 31 3265 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: One last go at the blasted thing...Posted: December 16th, 2011, 3:22 pm
Atlantian Electric Boat Company - Future Surface Combatant (FSC) - Combatant III (C3)

Concept I
[ img ]

Concept II
[ img ]

Tentative Specifications:

Length: 182.8m
Beam: 21.3m
Draught: 7.6m
Displacement: ~10,000tonnes standard load ~11,500tonnes full load.
Propulsion: IFEP through 4x 36MW RR MT-30 gas turbines and 4x 6MW MTU Diesels
Range: 12,500km @ 20knots - 6,200km @ 30knots
Endurance: 120 days
Crew complement: 380 plus 40 air crew and berthing for 50
Speed: 33knots maximum - 30 operational maximum - 20 cruising

Armament:
1x 127mm/62* in the A position
1x 72 cell MVL in the B position (strategic length)
2x 27mm x145 twin CIWS in P1 and P2 positions
1x 64 cell MVL amidships (utility length)
2x Twin 324mm lightweight torpedo tubes
2x EuroRAM missile CIWS in the x position
Additionally there are two OTO Melara hit role RCWS' with FNH M3 12.7mm HMGs and two M134D 7.62mm Gatling guns fitted. There are pintle mounts dotted around the ship for this number to be increased as and when necessary.

Weapons to be carried include: MGM-11 long range strike missiles (Tomahawk replacement) Kingfisher Mk.III anti ship missiles, SM-3 and SM-6 long range SAMs Mica-VL EM and IR short range SAMs and VL-ASROC stand-off anti submarine weapons. Mica can be triple packed into all variants of the MVL so far produced.

Other weapon options include: 35mm x228 DP twins, 40mm/70 DP twins, 76mm/62 DP singles (SR and DART) 127mm/54 and /64 singles, 155mm/52 and 155mm/62 singles (a twin 155mm/62 is in the prototype stage)

Sensors:
Guardian 375 DBR
Gatekeeper 400S surface search radar
Leviathan 100 targeting radar
Argus 100 electro-optical targeting gimbal
Neptune 600 multi function sonar
Seamaster 350 nav-radar

Electronic Warfare:
Caerus B multi-spectrum jammer
AAE 'HArK' hard kill countermeasure dispensers
Blizzard A en-masse chaff dispensers
Blizzard B en-masse flare dispensers
Blizzard C acoustic decoy launchers
Medusa A IR/Laser jammers
Cricket A IFF interrogators

Communications:
Multi-band VHF/UHF
Ku band SATCOM

Aircraft:
2x MH-212B Fulmar multi-purpose helicopters and the capability to operate 2+ Schiebel CamCopter S-100 UAVs
Other potential options include the AAE Mosquito UAV, MH-70 and MH-155. The helicopter deck can take anything up-to Merlin sized helicopters though they can not embark.

Boats & Landing Craft:
2x 10m Assault RHIBs carried in the well deck
4x 7m general purpose RHIBs carried amidships (P&S)

I think (read as hope) that should be everything with it now. Now to go start some other "proposed and prototype" designs... - Regards, Mark.

Last edited by Blackbuck on December 18th, 2011, 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 16th, 2011, 6:10 pm
Now we're talking!

Could you explain the disposition of the main phased array radars? It seems like you have an octagonal setup, with two of the legs of the octagon duplicated, for a total of ten arrays. This seems like very many more than you need! A square/diamond setup of four arrays is enough for full hemispherical coverage even with older PESA technology, and it appears that three arrays suffice with modern AESAs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 16th, 2011, 6:28 pm
There should be six arrays total namely because I had to resize the size of the faces when change to the oblique setup which would of reduced the number of T/R nodes per face quite drastically. I wasn't sure that the four oblique faces on their own would give truly total coverage hence the six faces...

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 16th, 2011, 6:41 pm
Four is enough. The Zumwalts only have three, and SPY-5 is also advertised to be fully 360deg with three faces. Four is still a good number, if you can ship them. Six gives you the ability to have very good performance in a damaged condition, especially if you have two triangular blocks distantly separated (although this can give some trouble with regards to safety of personnel). But you certainly don't want multiple faces looking in exactly the same direction, which you seem to have here.

If I were you, I'd go with something that looks like |> <|.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 17th, 2011, 7:46 pm
[ img ]

Main post for the cruiser updated. Now with added graphics ^ I presume that is what was meant by the |><| arrangement?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 17th, 2011, 8:18 pm
No. Let 0deg be the bow. If you had two triangular (or hexagonal) superstructure elements, the forward one could have arrays facing 0, 120 and 240 degrees, and the aft deckhouse had arrays facing 60, 180 and 300 degrees, you would have a pleasing arrangement. No target would be further than 30deg off of the boresight azimuth (meaning better effective aperture), and in a casualty mode, you could lose one full deckhouse and still have 360deg coverage (except the angle that was physically blocked by the remnants of the destroyed deckhouse).

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 18th, 2011, 12:52 pm
Updated the post again. First one has the triangular arrangement second shows an alternate approach with a single mast.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: ISE Aerial AssetsPosted: December 21st, 2011, 9:45 pm
Some of you may remember that some time ago in the non SB thread I posted up stuff for a sort of semi militarized security contracting company. The original sheet had ex USAF fast jets on it (insert chuckle). Now there's a revised setup... Plausible or implausible the organization is an important part of the AU world Atlantia occupies.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 21st, 2011, 10:43 pm
great

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: December 31st, 2011, 7:34 pm
In another spat of "I wonder syndrome" I've taken some steps backwards into the scenario and replaced the F/A-18s with F-15 and F-16s and their naval equivalents meaning in one form or another they will have been in service since 1976 (F-15) and 1996 (odd F-16 derived thing). F-15s would be replacing F-4Bs in naval service and Drakens on land which would provide quite a leap in capability. Once I finish writing up the histories of the aircraft I may well PDF them up and post them here for perusal and sneering.

On a different note I wish you all a happy new year!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 30 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 128 29 30 31 3265 »

Jump to: