Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 10th, 2014, 9:51 pm
Hi heuhen,

A quick question (and I realise I'm very new at this, so I'm expecting that I've missed something, apologies if it's something blindingly obvious) - wouldn't the mass of the island put that ship quite off-balance? I'm sure I remember reading elsewhere on this site about a WWII never-built that ended up having holes in the sponson because of the problems caused by the off-centre mass...

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 10th, 2014, 9:54 pm
yeah, I would suggest island on the one side and overhang on the other, otherwise you have to use an asymetric hull to keep the deck level :P

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 10th, 2014, 10:44 pm
Rather ironic that something called a "Polar" class would subject the embarked aircraft to such a vicious pounding from the weather. I question whether or not even the elevator would be workable in a heavy sea, never mind the forward deck park.

It's cute, I just don't think it would work.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 10th, 2014, 11:47 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi heuhen,

A quick question (and I realise I'm very new at this, so I'm expecting that I've missed something, apologies if it's something blindingly obvious) - wouldn't the mass of the island put that ship quite off-balance? I'm sure I remember reading elsewhere on this site about a WWII never-built that ended up having holes in the sponson because of the problems caused by the off-centre mass...

Regards,
Adam

There are many way's to solve it' for. example on modern carriers they mount all the heavy equipment and machinery of cent for compensating the weight.
acelanceloet wrote:
yeah, I would suggest island on the one side and overhang on the other, otherwise you have to use an asymetric hull to keep the deck level :P
it's possible but then I need to lift the hull so I get enough space for an lift.
erik_t wrote:
Rather ironic that something called a "Polar" class would subject the embarked aircraft to such a vicious pounding from the weather. I question whether or not even the elevator would be workable in a heavy sea, never mind the forward deck park.

It's cute, I just don't think it would work.
most of the time the forward are will not be used.

I have might sure that the hull is designed in such way that it shall throw most of the water away of the hull.

hm... I might have an idea.

1. lift the already tall hull by one meter. it would improve the hangar space a bit.
2. move superstructure from port to starboard.
3. move lift from starboard forward to aft port. and re-arrange the helipads.
4. on forward deck, add an cabin area. perhaps an type of flex-version?

Note: the ships need some mistakes, since this one shall be the ship that showed Haram what to do and not to do, and thus create the 140 meter version Batch 2 and 3 (Batch 1 is only 125 meter's")

for me at the moment the Polar class look like an frigate the have misunderstood it's mission! and gave us an ... what shall we call it? an freak of some kind!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 12th, 2014, 9:14 pm
I have updated Polar class. you can see it on page 2. I think I solved some of my problems on it. (to much on a small hull)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 12th, 2014, 9:24 pm
I think that's much better, although I'd be tempted to move both the VLS and the 76mm aft to the O-1 level. The liferaft disposition isn't very appealing to me, either. I might plate in the fantail; I'm not totally clear on why it's open, other than just because it seemed nice.

Uh... where are the gas turbine exhausts?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 12th, 2014, 9:49 pm
I'm also not clear on the lone STIR. Ticos and Burkes have been doing gunlaying from fixed phased arrays for decades.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 12th, 2014, 10:00 pm
erik_t wrote:
I think that's much better, although I'd be tempted to move both the VLS and the 76mm aft to the O-1 level. The liferaft disposition isn't very appealing to me, either. I might plate in the fantail; I'm not totally clear on why it's open, other than just because it seemed nice.

Uh... where are the gas turbine exhausts?

moving the VLS and 40mm twin to the superstructure I can do.

Lifterafts. that I can do. open due to an experience we had in Norway a couple year ago when an twin hulled passenger boat, crashed and sank. an the enclosed lifteraft could be released since there was no power to them, and those lift raft that had power was damaged. It ended up with almost all passenger died that day.

This is an No funnel design (exhaust in the hull design!). just like you can find on Visby class. or on that French Frigate. by using and Norwegian solution by cooling down exhaust by using an sort of gas.
erik_t wrote:
I'm also not clear on the lone STIR. Ticos and Burkes have been doing gunlaying from fixed phased arrays for decades.
I added it because I though it could be nice with that extra capability in helping out the main radar illuminating target. but I agree to with you, and radar like these vessel should be more than advance enough to handle multiple target's.

So that STIR is going away!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 12th, 2014, 10:05 pm
I don't think you're going to be able to submerge LM2500s far aft the same way the Visby does.

I don't think exposed liferafts are unreasonable, I just think I'd try to move them aft somewhat and, if possible, split them into more than two groups.

You have heavy 30mm and 40mm on the same hull? This seems sort of silly.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Haram RerampPosted: February 12th, 2014, 10:21 pm
erik_t wrote:
I don't think you're going to be able to submerge LM2500s far aft the same way the Visby does.

I don't think exposed liferafts are unreasonable, I just think I'd try to move them aft somewhat and, if possible, split them into more than two groups.

You have heavy 30mm and 40mm on the same hull? This seems sort of silly.
engine:

the turbines is around midships. where one LM2500 is placed more forward than the other. so you get this:

exhaust/air LM2500 -------- Exhaust/air Diesel
Electric motor's ------ LM2500 (generator) - Diesel generator
Electric motor's ------ Diesel Generator - LM2500 (generator)
Exhaust/air Diesel -------- exhaust/air LM2500

removing 40 mm for 76 mm on next update.

btw. remember MEKO A200 http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attach ... g_warp.jpg

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attach ... san_02.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: