Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy 1958 Amphibious Landing Ship DesignsPosted: April 20th, 2014, 12:03 pm
I habe to say those are some very interesting designs. THW third LST is by far my favourite.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy 1958 Amphibious Landing Ship DesignsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 4:04 pm
This is LSD Design Study DL/B.

[ img ]

Again, this was powered by two Y100 steam turbines for 20,000shp. Deep displacement was 8,000 tons and speed at that displacement was 22kts.
This smaller LSD could accommodate two-thirds of a battalion and six LCM in the stern well. The plan in the book shows 13 tanks and 5 self-propelled guns. The vehicle stowage on the upper deck had a ramp to the main internal vehicle deck, the upper deck doubles as a helideck for at least two Sea King-sized helicopters.
As for the DL/A drawing I have added some Bofors and two LCA, these are not on the basic plan in the book but I feel they would have been added. To lower costs I have omitted any fire-control, its possible CRBF might have been fitted but most likely they would have local fire-control only.

The LSD's were priced at £5-8 million, I'm assuming the DL/A would have been the higher price and DL/B the lower price.

Thanks for all the comments on the DL/A drawing guys. I have slightly edited that drawing since.
Ace, I have no dimensional data on these ships. I have scaled them from the Sea King shown on the plans, clearly they are such rather than the more usual Wessex of this period (rotor diameter 62ft). DL/B seems much closer dimensionally to what became Fearless.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy 1958 Amphibious Landing Ship DesignsPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 8:50 pm
Really handsome designs!

Last edited by odysseus1980 on September 10th, 2015, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy 1958 Amphibious Landing Ship DesignsPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 8:53 am
Fantastic series of drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: