Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 18th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Yes, on reconsidering, you could build two of these with the surplus 13.5-in from Tiger; and you've still got a pretty decent cruiser. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 18th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
I've already given my thoughts to Zephyr by pm, but yes, for this size hull I would suggest 15-in main guns, as these were pretty damned good compared to anything below that calibre. That aside, an interesting concept, and full marks for ingenuity :)
My initial thoughts on using 15 inchers was "Is there enough magazine space to have a reasonable amount of ammo, and wouldn't they be too heavy for a smaller ship?". And then I remembered the Roberts and Erebus classes, and they seemed to have fit 15's just fine. It's something I will have to consider. That would definately give the Captains class some significant firepower to deter anything smaller than a full battleship or battlecruiser from attacking.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 18th, 2011, 7:39 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Yes, on reconsidering, you could build two of these with the surplus 13.5-in from Tiger; and you've still got a pretty decent cruiser. :)
Hmm. As a matter of fact, this sounds like an idea. I do have some of the "Lion" class in my history (I call them the "Triumph" Class), 7 of them built between 1911 and 1915, with 2 of them sunk in combat and the other 5 decommed in 1938. I could move the decom earlier to about 1930-32 and use those guns, which would give me 20 available turrets. I had planned on having 5 Captains in commission, which would use 10 of those turrets, leaving 10 more to do something with. Probably convert them to use as coastal batteries, or maybe on a Roberts style coastal moniter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 18th, 2011, 8:16 pm
[ img ]
Moved the armor belt to a more reasonable position, and added another 2 pdr aft between the catapult and X turret.

I'm thinking I may want to add some more light AA, perhaps 20mm or 12.7mm, along the sides of the aft and forward superstructure? (Remember, this is early 30's and not WW2 era, so it would have more AA added later as well once aircraft became regarded as more of a threat than they were then. But this is for how they would have looked when commissioned in 1934-36.)

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 18th, 2011, 8:30 pm
Whoops... should have said this the first time- how about a small pedestal for that aft 2-pounder, just to give her a better field of fire?

Also, any number of 20mm would be appropriate.
As of 1935, they would have probably been considered sufficient, though not ideal, for AA defense.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 18th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Good looking one. As for small calibre AA fire, you seem to have the quadruple 0.5" Vickers mounting at the sides of the bridge. You also have 5 quadruple Pom-Poms, and in 1936 it was more than enough. You may want to add two more 0.5" Vickers mountings, just below the aft HACS (one each side-port and starboard).

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 19th, 2011, 8:50 am
Just a thought; to balance the design, you might consider another pair of 4-in twin d.p. forard of the multiple pom poms :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 19th, 2011, 8:55 am
Definitely interesting and nice looking concept.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 19th, 2011, 10:12 am
[ img ]

Additional twin 4" added forward, and an additional quad 12.7mm added aft.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor HMS "Anton Freeling"Posted: December 19th, 2011, 7:56 pm
One last thing would be that gap underneath the main mast. I would try to extend the main mast down there as to provide more stable support for the tower. instead of having it be welded onto the platform or have the support be off center to where the actual tower is.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 45 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: