Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 7:55 pm
Similar to the RN's Invincilble class that were originally designated "Through Deck Cruisers" to avoid the axe in the 70's.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 10:20 pm
Congrats to Japan...hope she's a worthy successor to her venerable ancestor. Perhaps the her sister will be named Iwate?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 6th, 2013, 10:21 pm
The news came at the time Japan was remembering the first use of atomic weapons, as the 6th of August is also the anniversary of the first Atom bomb, dropped on Hiroshima on 6/8/1945.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 7th, 2013, 5:41 am
A friend has pointed out that the lifts, being sized for the S-80s are large enough for the F-35s, and the deck can support them. The only issue is the thermal coating, which he reminded me isn't even on the US big deck amphibs yet, so yes, they will be able to take F-35s.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 7th, 2013, 9:29 am
how do you know the deck can support them? is there any data about that released? (or could the hyuga not operate S-80s, and is that the reason?)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 7th, 2013, 1:58 pm
To be honest its huge jump from the Hyuga to the Izumo in terms of size, I suppose we'll see how much of a jump in operational capability as time passes

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 12th, 2013, 2:38 pm
Eh, not japanese but why spam another thread onto the board?

The Indians unveil their first new aircraft carrier:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013 ... ft-carrier

[ img ]

The INS Vikrant might be floating but it is little more than an empty hull right now. It still needs its main engineering insalled as well as its general outfitting and flight deck construction. Its way overbudget and behind schedule but thats to be expected given its the first domestic construction. I find it interesting that India beat China in this regard, though the Indian Navy has long been a blue water force.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 12th, 2013, 3:10 pm
blue water and blue water. do India have an complete Aircraft carrier fleet that can operate anywhere in the world.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 12th, 2013, 3:36 pm
I wouldn't consider an aircraft career the qualifier for blue water status, but yeah the Viraat is pretty active in and around the Indian Ocean. I believe she was getting a major refit in 2012 and I am not sure about her status right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Japan unveils largest warship since World War II (Izumo)Posted: August 12th, 2013, 4:04 pm
And the Indian ships are way behind schedule due to supply of steel, etc. Still, when the Russians complete the ship they are converting for India, that potentially gives them three carriers with a fairly complete air wing. Mind you, Vikrant isn't due to join the fleet until 2018 and Vishal until 2025. I guess that means the old Viraat keeps sailing on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous ... ject_71%29

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: