Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 3:33 pm
First you need to define the type of combat you want. Do you want Eggshells with Hammers? Do you want something like Run Silent, Run Deep? Come up with what you want first, then do the tech afterwords - with it being driven by the setting. Also, Atomic Rockets is an invaluable resource.
APDAF wrote:
galactic north
Define "Galactic North" (and yes, there is an answer that I would accept). This is an exercise in "words have meanings".
APDAF wrote:
It has 120 50mm rail guns mounted on broadside facing turrets in sets of three
Right now you've got such a limited traverse that the turrets are likely not worth it - you'd be better off with fixed mounts.
APDAF wrote:
nuclear batteries.
Define "nuclear batteries". Again, there are a family of answers that I would accept.
APDAF wrote:
It have Artificial Gravity plating provided by stolen Xi'sana technology.
That's a marginal reason for not being a torch ship.
APDAF wrote:
FTL is given by the Quantum field generator.
I won't knock you if you call it a magic box. Is it instantaneous? Do you have to go to special points to use it? Is it simply a nice way of avoiding Einstein?

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 4:05 pm
It's combat style is either "fill that X amount of space with lead" or a short range broadside akin to ships of the line.

Galactic North is generally towards the centre of the galaxy but it is only used by humans as they have only a small amount of territory.

I might as well go for fixed mounts given that.

In this case nuclear battery is small nuclear reactor which mainly powers the essentials I.e. life support, lights, and the main computer, when the Quantum field generator is being charged by the main fusion reactors.

Gravity plating has inbuilt inertial dampers that stops the crew and objects from flying during acceleration.

The quantum field generator takes days to charge so that the craft can jump, it creates a quantum tunnel in space time which takes mere seconds to a few minutes, it has a maximum range of 50Lys, but you should not be inside of a solar system as you could tunnel into a planet or star.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 4:14 pm
APDAF wrote:
It has 120 50mm rail guns mounted on broadside facing turrets in sets of three,
I almost miss this, looking at size of this "battleship" and number of barrels I can say that it will eat whole ammo stock in a sec.

- Fir...(end of ammo )..e!

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 4:16 pm
They fire very small pieces of metal about the size of a small coin.

I really doubt that the ship will run out of paint chips or other small bits of metal.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 4:18 pm
APDAF wrote:
It's combat style is either "fill that X amount of space with lead" or a short range broadside akin to ships of the line.
That really doesn't work very well. Why can't someone sit further out and start sniping you from long range (again, there is a valid answer, but I want you to come up with it). Also, what keeps me from having a laser equipped ship that dumps energy into the path of all of your bullets, and diverts them with gentle nudges?
APDAF wrote:
Galactic North is generally towards the centre of the galaxy but it is only used by humans as they have only a small amount of territory.
That's core-ward. If you treat the galaxy as a 2-D plane, the four main directions are Core-ward, Rim-ward, Spin-ward, & Anti-spin-ward.
APDAF wrote:
In this case nuclear battery is small nuclear reactor which mainly powers the essentials I.e. life support, lights, and the main computer, when the Quantum field generator is being charged by the main fusion reactors.
Oddly enough, you came close enough to a valid answer that I'll give you this one.
APDAF wrote:
Gravity plating has inbuilt inertial dampers that stops the crew and objects from flying during acceleration.
You said the technology was stolen, but this gets complicated.
APDAF wrote:
The quantum field generator takes days to charge so that the craft can jump, it creates a quantum tunnel in space time which takes mere seconds to a few minutes, it has a maximum range of 50Lys, but you should not be inside of a solar system as you could tunnel into a planet or star.
So if you don't need to be in a particular place to make a jump, a distant blockade isn't going to work - this means that your combat will take place over/around things (Things are important - like planets, asteroids, ect). This means that you're going to want high acceleration for long range flight - and that leads back to torch ships with lots of tankage being the most efficient path.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 4:27 pm
APDAF wrote:
They fire very small pieces of metal about the size of a small coin.

I really doubt that the ship will run out of paint chips or other small bits of metal.
In theory you shoot in one minute about 360.000 projectiles... I really doubt in your doubt about NOT running out of ammo. In your 100 m long barge. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 5:42 pm
Rhade wrote:
Movie standards goes up in last decade. This is in ... early 70' style.
Retro-styling is pretty popular now.
Rhade wrote:
APDAF wrote:
The physics should be at least believable to within the realm of possible but no well know physics.
That's doesn't make any sense :shock:
Honestly that's par for the course for the logic he tends to use.
TimothyC wrote:
APDAF wrote:
Oddly enough, you came close enough to a valid answer that I'll give you this one.
I'm going to have to slightly disagree though it's largely a semantics argument. A "nuclear battery" would be something like an RTG that uses passive nuclear processes to generate electricity. "A small nuclear reactor" would be called, well...a small nuclear reactor. Though that idea is sound at least - for deep space applications RTGs as we know them wouldn't be good for anything larger than an unmanned probe anyway (and that is indeed what they're used for in real life).

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 5:57 pm
I have always wondered how you "call targets" in space. I noticed in Battlestar Galactica they give "bearing" (standard 0-359 compass bearing) and "carom" (a "vertical bearing" from the ship). Is this the way this is done in real life?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 19th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Colosseum wrote:
I have always wondered how you "call targets" in space. I noticed in Battlestar Galactica they give "bearing" (standard 0-359 compass bearing) and "carom" (a "vertical bearing" from the ship). Is this the way this is done in real life?
We'll get back to you when we have real space combat. It's a good way to work. The next question would be if you use an internal reference or if you use one from the local primary (be it asteroid, planet or star).

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Neo-Terran Empire designsPosted: April 20th, 2013, 10:59 pm
I have updated the drawing.

I have added the side view as well a credits.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to β€œNon-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: