Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Kretoxian
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 8:05 pm
After applying all the suggested changes and changing it a bit after seeing this photo:

[ img ]

this is how it is now:

[ img ]

Better or worse?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Much better! :)
But as for the shading of rounded elements like smokestacks - it's (from right to left) dark shade - medium shade - light shade.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 8:23 pm
You're getting there but,... there appear to be a separationline between the deckhouse proper and bridge; very faint, but it'd add to the detailing. Also, your bridge windows seems to be of unequal width, whereas the hi-rez photo you supplied indicate equal width. Furthermore, you've omitted to show the tarp-covered railing behind the bridge, on the same deck level as your minute bridge wings, which, btw, according to the photo, needs to be longer, and substantially clearer than they are right now; and also, evidently covered by a tarp. As for the guns, the shield roof is straight, slanted down from the back. Yours are depicted as being rounded at the end. The barrels are way too thick; I'd suggest two pixels, one dark grey on top of a black line, to emulate the lighting, which is from above. Also, don't hesitate to look at other artist's solutions to such things as to how to properly (or believably!) depict an awning or a set of tarpaulins. You'll find troves of valuable info doing thus!
And, most importantly, I can spot, by looking at the photo, several missed opportunities to detail your otherwise very nice and grand vessel. I'll let you check that for yourself.
In fact, I think I can claim this for a vast majority of SB:ers: we hunker down around our photos and plans and spend an inordinate time scrutinizing every single detail, to explore what we can add, what we shouldn't, what we can't add etc. I can tell from your drawing above, that you too, have that innate capability!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Your ship is using one of these 4" guns. Perhaps with a different shielding. (in that time era there was many different shielding for guns)

[ img ]

Detail vise there are things that I would do different, but I am on holiday at the moment, and there are many people on the forum that is a better teacher than me!!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 9:31 pm
Thank you Heuhen for helping my argument out. I've a problem presently uploading stuff, so you did good there. As for the 4"-guns they appear to be the Mk XIX singles or equivalents. Certainly the Mk XIX:s shield can be used to advantage!

[Profile] [Quote]
Kretoxian
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 10:34 pm
Ok, thank both of you for your corrections, after applying them this is how it is:

[ img ]

I hope that lightning is ok this time...

I guess that another detail to correct is the anchor. I looked through the model files but all of them seem to be too big!

BTW if any of you want to read in English more about the most important battle where this was sunk click on the link below:

http://www.marinavasca.eu/en/combate-de ... hp?o=5&a=5

and also this is where i got the technical data and the base drawing of the ship:

http://marinavasca.eu/en/ficha-buques-l ... p?id=4&o=4

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 10:52 pm
I feel so embarrased. :oops:
When I wrote about shading, it was supposed to be "from left to right" so completely opposite - in other words: it should be lighter on the side of the bow, and darker on the side of the stern.
(bangs head into desk)
I am so sorry for that and I beg You for forgiveness - it's just not my day it seems.
(btw. there are some ships around that have been posted and even uploaded to main archive with shading "other way round", so maybe it would be accepted without changing it)

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 11:04 pm
I think the hull detail lines are a bit dark.. you could deffinetly make them slightly lighter(especially the UW ones), but that's really up to you.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 11:18 pm
I looked at your sites, and while they, indeed, gave a most valuable general side elevation of the Nabarra, the submitted photos of the real ship should still be studiously scrutinized for the correct shape and form and size of details. You are getting very close to a finished product. There are still a few "ehems" that need to be addressed, such as the (collapsible?) bridge wings, with tarp covering and the fact that, while you, indeed, noticed the missing railing behind the bridge house, you've got two colors now for the same thing; beige and grey, since the railings atop the bridge house also have tarp covering. I compliment you on the shape and appearance of your beige tarp. Now, why not use that as a model to shape the covering atop that bridge as well as the bridge wings? Tarps doesn't need to be beige, though, for some curious reason that is the most common color choice among artists here. If they're grey, they're grey! However, I'd take pains in doing them slightly darker than the superstructure color and also include the "ribs" of the railing behind it. Alas the guns doesn't look quite right. Didn't you notice the Mk XIX? Compare it with your photographic evidence!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: BOU Nabarra -Armed Trawler-Posted: March 25th, 2013, 11:34 pm
under the bridge window you are missing the navigation lantern. it shall have an green color to it. with a black-grey (rgb: 41,41,41) background.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: