Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 42  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1142 »
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: February 14th, 2013, 8:29 pm
How about a little history on how Izhmash ended up in the Empire of Britannia. It should be interesting if you know what Izhmash stands for ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: February 14th, 2013, 8:46 pm
You'll need a seriously big hand to reach the trigger and I suspect the recoil would break the stock fairly quickly. Historically pretty much everyone settled for something between 6.5 and 8mm.
As for the bayonet, it's not just too thin, it's too small. The handle should be no less than 4in long, 6in would be better.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: February 14th, 2013, 8:56 pm
eswube wrote:
Indeed bayonnet looks thin and calibre seems excessive (8mm would be probably enough), but most importantly I think that the wooden stock is too thin in the trigger area.
I have fixed the bayonet, the calibre is step up from the .303 and down from the .50 there are also quite a few 11mm rifle cartridges but I will take your advice on that ;) .
I will fix the wooden stock later.
WhyMe wrote:
How about a little history on how Izhmash ended up in the Empire of Britannia. It should be interesting if you know what Izhmash stands for ;)
I will do that tomorrow. but basically as Russia and it's predecessor states have been part of the Empire for over 500 years it stand naturally that a Russian arms manufacturer would be working for the Empire considering that Izhmash was founded in 1804 by Tsar Alexander I it makes sense that I use it.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: February 14th, 2013, 9:11 pm
It really looks like someone tried to adapt an old muzzle-loading rifle into a bolt-action - which, admittedly isn't entirely out of the realm of sanity, so don't feel too bad. That said, everything Thiel said. I don't know if you'd need a big hand to reach the trigger but it would be awkward to hold (once again, more like an early muzzle-loader or maybe even a very late musket).

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: February 14th, 2013, 9:14 pm
APDAF wrote:
Izhmash was founded in 1804 by Tsar Alexander I
Consider that whatever was founded in 1804 became "Izhmash" only in 1975.
As for bayonet size, here are a couple of examples from about the same technological time period:
Austrian bayonet M1873
American bayonet M1892

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: February 14th, 2013, 9:29 pm
You should really compare this drawing to the other gun drawings available to get proportions right. Right now it just doesn't look "correct".

Ignoring the idiocy of having Izhmash making firearms for the British Empire...

An 11mm rifle isn't too far out for the period mentioned (late 1800s). The Martini-Henry, for instance, used an 11.43mm cartridge. But it was a single-shot breech-loaded design and not a bolt-action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577/450_Martini-Henry

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: February 14th, 2013, 9:43 pm
Colosseum wrote:
-snip-
1) I sort of did with the M1891 Mosin-Nagant I will redo the stock and trigger area.
2) The Empire of Britannia is not the British Empire it also contains the German and Russian empires but that is for another time.
3) I know it's my favourite gun.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: May 11th, 2013, 6:34 pm
I have updated the drawing.

Fixed stock.
Added Imperial Symbol.
Made the rifle longer.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: May 12th, 2013, 2:57 am
It's still looking like someone took an 1860s muzzle-loading rifle and tried to convert it into a bolt-action for want and lack of anything better. Hell even the caliber of the weapon kinda supports that theory.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: May 12th, 2013, 11:10 am
It's got more in conmen with the Martini-Henry actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini-Henry

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 42  [ 415 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1142 »

Jump to: