Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1823 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 12:25 am
The tertiary an quaternary gun batteries that are currently facing out of the page. You've got the primary and secondary batteries facing the right way, but the lighter, primarily anti-aircraft guns are not.

Edit:

Here is what I mean
[ img ]
The standard is that if a gun can train directly fore or aft, at zero elevation it should be show as such. If it can train in the right direction, but not at zero elevation, the smallest elevation that shows the gun barrels distinctly should be selected.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 12:26 am
I beleive Tim's reffering to the 3 medium and 4 light(?) AA guns along the side of the superstructure. They're facing out, not in an SB style side veiw. (Though, from that picture you've provided, I'm not sure if they could turn that far.)

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 12:37 am
If Tim is indeed pointing out the enclosed and open type 89 127mm guns at the center of the ship, then that may be a problem in itself. I understand that ship bucket has a specific standard, and I strive to comply with it at all times during a serious project. While I could turn them, that would be inaccurate to real life. Not because it was their standard positioning, but because the degree into which the top row's mounts were sunk into the superstructure. Plus, and it may be hard to see in my drawings, the Japanese placed traverse restriction bars along the gun tubs to prevent firing on the superstructure. This means, while the shielded mounts on Yamato 1944 could indeed aim aft aft fore ( but at around 10 degrees elevation to avoid their own restriction bars) the upper open mounts were so restricted that they in actuality could in no way aim aft or fore even with elevation (one of the may faults in Yamato's design). I can provide diagrams displaying this feature if needed. I will see what I can do, or if I am talking about the wrong thing than let me know.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 12:47 am
Erusia Force wrote:
If Tim is indeed pointing out the enclosed and open type 89 127mm guns at the center of the ship, then that may be a problem in itself. I understand that ship bucket has a specific standard, and I strive to comply with it at all times during a serious project. While I could turn them, that would be inaccurate to real life. Not because it was their standard positioning, but because the degree into which the top row's mounts were sunk into the superstructure. Plus, and it may be hard to see in my drawings, the Japanese placed traverse restriction bars along the gun tubs to prevent firing on the superstructure. This means, while the shielded mounts on Yamato 1944 could indeed aim aft aft fore ( but at around 10 degrees elevation to avoid their own restriction bars) the upper open mounts were so restricted that they in actuality could in no way aim aft or fore even with elevation (one of the may faults in Yamato's design). I can provide diagrams displaying this feature if needed. I will see what I can do, or if I am talking about the wrong thing than let me know.
I'd like to see that then. I don't have a problem being wrong, I just would like to see the evidence. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 12:53 am
The traverse and elevation bars were a good thing...without them, some AA gun crew trying to outdo the other gun crews on the ship and take out more planes than everyone else gets a little too overzealous, keeps firing, and accidentally drills a clip of 25-mm. rounds or a couple of 5-inch shells into the admiral's bridge. That would be a real bad day for everyone involved any which way you look at it. :lol:

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 1:07 am
Tim, Sorry I was writing my post when you posted :lol: . the shielded 25mm could be turned for and aft, except for the on beneath the Mainmast and the ones at the center of the "defense circle" in the 1945 version. As for the 127mms, here you go:

A 3D model that was Made for the History channel. While her listed look for Ten Go is inaccurate, the ship did look like this in March of that year. I did not mark the bars in that would make them less visible. They are located next to the tertiary guns, look like piping.
[ img ]

[ img ]

And the 1/10 Yamato at the Yamato museum in Kure, arguably the most accurate Yamato in existence:

[ img ]

Let me know what you think, and if necessary, I will make changes. Thank you for bringing up the issue. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 1:18 am
emperor_andreas wrote:
The traverse and elevation bars were a good thing...without them, some AA gun crew trying to outdo the other gun crews on the ship and take out more planes than everyone else gets a little too overzealous, keeps firing, and accidentally drills a clip of 25-mm. rounds or a couple of 5-inch shells into the admiral's bridge. That would be a real bad day for everyone involved any which way you look at it. :lol:
The design of her AAA emplacement in general proved to give huge gaps in coverage fore and aft. I laugh at the thought of aa crews firing into the superstructure :lol:, makes you wonder how many times that happened with other ships with pagoda masts.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 1:33 am
There are several photos that show the bars as well. And I imagine gun crews were well-trained aboard the various BBs, especially aboard Fuso and Yamashiro: "We don't fire past this angle or this height...these ships are ugly enough and they leak already...they don't need more holes in them." :lol:

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 1:34 am
Please accept my apology with respect to the 127mm guns - it looks like calculating the maximum train (as was done on a drawing before) would prove very difficult, and thus wouldn't be a productive use of the time. I'd like to see the 25mm turrets turned (those that could), but I won't raise any objections if you don't, as not doing so gives the quaternary battery a uniform look.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Yamato ClassPosted: January 28th, 2013, 2:28 am
Yeah, I think for this instance it makes sense to show them trained outboard.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 23  [ 225 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1823 »

Jump to: