Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
WhyMe
Post subject: Portugal - Bptista de Andrade class modernizationPosted: January 11th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Some time in the 1980's there were plans to modernize the Baptista de Andrade class corvettes. The ships would be equipped with Exocet anti-ship missiles, Aspide AA missiles and a 375mm Bofors depth charge launcher. It was never implemented due to lack of funds.

[ img ]

This drawing is based on a very schematic diagram showing where the weapon systems would be located. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about the electronics and since I'm a total dummy when it comes to it I would appreciate any input on possible directors and whatnot.

Last edited by WhyMe on January 12th, 2013, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Portugal - Bptista de Andrade class modernizationPosted: January 11th, 2013, 9:16 pm
I'm not going to risk any advice about electronics, but I can already say, that it looks quite nice (as a design - drawing looks awesome :) ).

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Portugal - Bptista de Andrade class modernizationPosted: January 11th, 2013, 9:36 pm
You'd need a director for the Aspide and a targeting sonar of some sort for the Bofors, but other than that it looks okay.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Portugal - Bptista de Andrade class modernizationPosted: January 12th, 2013, 12:26 am
Thanks, eswube ;)

Thiel, thanks for the advice. The drawing in the first post has been updated.
I've added the French hull mounted sonar DUBA-25 (since the ASW mortar would be probably of French origin as well, just like the 100mm gun).
Also I've added the Mk 115 director on a raised platform between the 40mm guns.
Is this set-up going to work? Can you think of a more realistic set of equipment?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Portugal - Bptista de Andrade class modernizationPosted: January 12th, 2013, 1:27 am
I would go for something a lot less massive, unfortunately I can't think of any systems off hand.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redav
Post subject: Re: Portugal - Bptista de Andrade class modernizationPosted: January 12th, 2013, 11:08 am
A pity this was never implemented :(

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: