Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1245 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 11th, 2012, 4:02 pm
RHAF AU has several Mirage F1CGM (equivalent to F1E),its backbone is the Mirage 2000 (EGM/-5,-9) and several F4E AUP/F-4EM.The latter is a fighter bomber,the AUP can fire AIM-120,IRIS-T and OMI-73E (AIM-7R made by Ordtech).For Mirages there is every weapon French Industry developed,most of them made by license.The Rafale-H is an -M with some modifications and will entered service soon (first 6 units will enter service in mid 2013) to replace from front line the older M2k.The F1 is used by Naval Squadrons of RHAF for anti-ship missions or attacking missions to enemy naval bases and it will be replaced by M2k.Also there are several Mirage IV-M (IV-PM). These old aircrafts are also close to retirement,into 2013/14. Next RHAF AU fighters will be Russian,such as Su-35 and the Su-34. Also the Yakovlev Yak-130 will replace the venerable R-233 (based to the T-33,reverse engineered and modified) in both training and light attack/close support. The Bucc S.52 Mk2 will be replaced by the Su-34.The program is now at the stage of talking for license manufacturing. The Rafale-H will again be capable of carrying everything French Weapons Industry has for it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 11th, 2012, 11:35 pm
Sounds goo, but why the Russian planes? Your logistics are gonna be complicated with American F-4s French Mirages and Rafales and Russian planes.
Also 5 different planes that share the same role is a bad idea and theres no really no reason to do this. The only country that has an air force like that is the Indian air force and thats defending a nation of 1 billion people. Unless this Greek nation is a lot bigger than the IRL one I don't see the need for five to four different types of fighters.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 12th, 2012, 12:22 am
Trojan wrote:
Sounds goo, but why the Russian planes?
Well it's not too implausible. Both Greece and Turkey have S-300s.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 12th, 2012, 12:25 am
Yeah I know but they don't have patriots and three other types of heavy SAMs to go with them
But it's not as simple as just them being Russian and not western which I believe was part of your point

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: October 15th, 2012, 8:20 am
Turkey does not has operational S-300 as far as I know,but they may have in the future.They bought one launcher and radars to evaluate and learn how to counter it.Real Greece has one battalion.

Now for this scenario.Hellenic Kingdom has a total population of nearly 17 million with the 4 Autonomous Territories included.Do not forget that to set up an production line for a new aircraft takes 2-3 years,especially when it is completely different from previous.So,RHAF AU will have its first operational Su-35s in about 2015,if talking complete in early 2013.

Note that in HLK the Ministry of Defense make every 5 years a defense program,but about two thirds of the money come from funds (Army,Navy,Air Force),a special bank account where anyone citizen can put money and a system similar with "liturgy" of Ancient Athens.( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_%2 ... _Greece%29).

The program goes like this: First it will come the Yak-130 for training and attack missions,it will provide also training to Russian weapons and flight characteristics of the Su-34/35.As it will be the main training aircraft of RHAF AU in the years to come, it will have the software to simulate Rafale (this last is on development by defense software companies). Rafale-H (fictional) can also use the IRIS-T and Meteor missiles together with French missiles and will replace also the F-4E. The Mirage IV is planned to be phased out until 2014 together with the venerable Mirage F1.So,in 2015 RHAF will be ready for flying the Su-34/35.

As for Long Range SAMs, HLK co developed with South Korea the Ajax-M,a missile which is similar the Taiwanese Sky Bow.Ajax-M Mk1/Mk2 use semi-active "NTU Tartar" guidance, while Mk3 use "Track Via Missile" guidance,which system is a cross between S-300 and Patriot PAC-3.There are 3 squadrons of S-300 in RHAF service (one in Cyprus) and one squadron of Patriot PAC-2M.The 350 Air Wing (real) has S-300,Patriot,OSA-AKM and ARIS V (HLK does not have TOR-M1 and Crotale) and the (fictional) 351 Air Wing have the 3 variants of Ajax-M.

The Ajax-M has its own history-this SAM named like this for political reasons. It is another variant of OMI-76(RIM-67ER). The original "Ajax" was -you guess it- MIM-3A Nike-Ajax which also real Greece had together with MIM-14 Nike Hercules.But in Hellenic Kingdom the MIM-3 modified to semi-active guidance,new single warhead and new solid fuel rocket engine for the second stage.It was designated "Improved Ajax",which phased out in late 1980s.The Nike-Hercules led to Erevos SRBM (NOT nuclear), one of the most accurate missiles built with CEP <10m.The MIM-14 did had some ground to ground hitting capability.

From this Hellenic-South Korean cooperation a new Fire Control System was designed and also solid stage electronics for radars.The first and second generations of Ajax-M use a vastly modified SPS-39 radar and the third a phased array radar similar with the AN/MPQ-65.There are plans to upgrade Ajax-M Mk2 with VTM guidance as well.

Before Patriot PAC-2 HLK bought for training half squadron of PAC-1, which later modernized to PAC-2M level. So the "one squadron" is actually 1,5 because it has more TELs.The PAC-2M has several classified local small modifications.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 10:57 am
Some thoughts for my AU Turkish Navy.I think that I have somewhat a better TDK AU than real.What do you think?

As remember,in my scenario Turkey has the Klasse122TN frigate.Real MEKO-200TN have 3 Sea Zenith,one front and two rear.Is it possible for an Klasse122 to have side-mounted Mk48 in hangar and a third Sea Zenith were there is the Mk29 in real German frigate? (Now my Klasse122TN has twin Sea Zenith in the position of RAMs).
Also,total number of Klasse122TN are 10 (4/122TN Track I,2 122TN Track IA,4 122TN Track II),first 2 built in Germany and rest in Turkey.So,Track I mod would have front Mk29 and 2 Sea Zenith on the hangar's rear edge and Track IA/Track II would have 3 as describe above.

My AU Turkish Navy is:

--6 DDG Gaziantep:(Basically is the never built US Aegis-DDG FY1979 combined with the "Perry" based on that hull with convectional "Tartar" radars and a Mk13 instead of Aegis and Mk26).Armed with a Mk45,8 Harpoon missiles and 4 Phalanx (latter positioned where original design had).Later received twin RAM rear.I do not think that USA would provide Aegis in Turkey in mid 1980s,besides then Aegis was at the final stage of development/trails.Note that RHN AU has also "Tartar" ships, the DDG Kimon Class with Mk13 GMLS (modified Tromp) and the 3 CGH Lysandros/Odysseus with the old Mk10 GMLS.USA always want to retain a "balance" between those two "allies/foes".Note also that my AU Turkey has almost double Air Force than AU RHAF.
--10 Klasse 122TN:(armed with 8 Sea Lance missiles)-see note at the end.
--8 Knox-TN Frigates:(In a hellenic defense magazine of 1991 there was a article about Knox Frigates because real HN aquired 3 ex-US units and proposed in a possible modernization the Sea Wolf missile in the position of rear Mk25/Phalanx and twin Phalanx behind funnel as Baleares Class had twin Merokas.).So TN goes for this,Sea Wolf/Sea Zenith (positions as above).Of these frigates, 5 are in Aegean and 3 in Black Sea.-see note at the end.
--6 Burak Class Corvettes: (Variant of Type23 OPV/100m) armed with Sea Wolf,OTO Melara 76mm and 4 Sea Lance,hangar for one AB-212TN (my opinion is that this a much more capable ship than the 5 ex-French A69 Corvettes they have in real world)
--A large number of missile boats (AU) : Dogan Class in my scenario is British,the Vosper Tay,armed with 8 Sea Lance missiles, Yildiz is same hull but with superstructure similar with Vosper VT203 (or Super Vita),all have 8 Sea Lance and the 35mm Oerlikon at stern as also Dogans.Last 2 Yildiz built had one RAM there.I retained the Lurssen Kilic Class (armed with 8 Harpoon and Oerlikon/RAM) since I could not find something better.
--Lurssen TNC45 : TN were the first export customer for this and have 16 total (all but 2 built in Turkey).Armament is Sea Lance or Penguin Mk1 or Sea Killer/Marte Mk2.Latter are classified as Kartal Class,other variants had different name.They are of early to mid 1970's design,so about the same period with the real Kartal ("Eagle" in English if you want).They were purchased to counter the Konon Mk1 FFGs of RHN-minimum Adis I range is 8 km (even latest -M version,due to flight envelope), range of rear OTOBreda Dardo is about 4 km and the front OTO Melara Allagarto cannot cover rear hemisphere.So Turks thought that a fast missile boat can intrude in the dead angle of Konons and hit them.Also note that Konons are fast for CODAD vessels but had notoriously slow accelaration in that era.Later props somewhat improved that,but her engines have to counter very long pitch.
--6 Klasse 420 Corvettes (originally 10,4 modified for surface warfare in early 1990's,they retaind the front Bofors ASW Mortar,though)
--8 Berk Frigates (as known,modified Claud Jones,built from 1962-1975 in my scenario as "Turkey Answer to Konon Class").In mid to late 1980's modernised with OTO Melara 76mm,Oerlikon 35mm,Sea Lance missiles and better electronics.
--Also they have Gearing Class DD (as RHN),12 total, which they modernised them together with RHN ones.I have them,are very close-not as real TN Gearings.
--My TN has an even larger fleet of Landing vessels (about double),since in my scenario one of their invasion scenario is to invade simultaneously to many Aegean Islands to panic Hellenes.Same scenario in Black Sea.
--TN helicopters are AB204ASW (11 originally),24 AB212TN (armed with Sea Skua Missiles) and 28 Sikorsky S-70TN (armed with Sea Skua,AGM-65F Maverick,Sea Marte Mk2).The AGM-65F can be fired from the old Seasprite,perhars this modification can be done to the S-70,the Sea Marte can be fired from AS-61/Sea King (and perhaps AW-101 of Italian Navy),also possible according to my opinion.Torpedoes are,of course Mk46 and Stingray.
--Also they will have several C-295TN with Sea Skua and (perhaps possible) Harpoon/AGM-65F and CN-235 of TCG which can also be armed with missiles or torpedoes (their claim).
--Also they have an enormous fleet of helicopters in their Army Aviation (about 120 SH-60 and >200 HU-1D,40 Mi-17T).Also their Air Force has more helicopters (about 50% of Army aviation minus the Mi-17).And do not forget the Turkish Gendarmerie.

The Klasse122TN

-First 4 (Track I) had 2 Sea Zenith CIWS at each rear side of hangar and a Mk29 front of the superstructure.Then,due to the threat of RHN missiles Turks thought to put one more Sea Zenith at front and Mk48 at each side of the hangar in Track II ships.Is this possible?

P.S The "Mk48" is from Elviras by acelanceloet,because it looked better from the old from original Klasse122 by MConrads,is there this Mk48 if this can be done?

The Knox-TN I describe above (Spanish Baleares had also twin quaruple Mk141,one each side,so this with the missiles at center has better weight balance):

Last edited by odysseus1980 on March 12th, 2016, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: February 4th, 2013, 9:32 am
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=35281.0

What about this?Is it plausible?If yes,UK could have a VC10MPA instead of the Comet/Nimrod.Also several other civilian aircrafts of the era could be modified.

P.S Also comment about previous post,please.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: February 4th, 2013, 9:55 am
The MPA looks certainly doable, but the problem with maritime patrol planes is that low-level flight is really hard on the aircraft. A civilian plane would probably suffer much more fatigue than a purpose-built MPA like an Orion or Neptune. Maybe not the best idea for hunting subs, but definitely good for long range recon and surveillance.

The Turkish Knox looks good too. I like the Sea Wolf/CIWS combination for dangerous waters like the Aegean.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: February 4th, 2013, 10:25 am
I'm always reluctant to cut holes in the body of aircraft, but I'm very much inclined to say that the VC10MPA is plausible as the VC10 had a very heavy airframe, and of all of the aircraft of it's era (DC-8, 707, ect) it could probably deal with both the structural changes and the flight regime the least badly.

Other than possible CIWS mount impingement on the hanger on the 122s, I don't see any show-stoppers at first glance.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: February 4th, 2013, 1:25 pm
So,only the VC10 MPA is somewhat plausible.I remember reading about it in a site about it (www.vc10.net).It was a very good aircraft for its era.

About the Klasse 122TN:My conclusion is that seems ok,right?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1245 »

Jump to: