Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
denodon
Post subject: T.S.S EarnslawPosted: February 8th, 2012, 6:23 am
Greetings,

I'm curious if anyone has yet drawn this beautiful looking Lake Steamer still operating from Queenstown. I did a search but did not find anything so I'm thinking I might give her a go at drawing as my first real life ship if I can find enough details (most of the photos I find all seem to be of the Port side and I don't have any plans showing whether her Starboard side is the same or not).

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: T.S.S EarnslawPosted: February 8th, 2012, 7:45 am
I believe it hasn't been done, Heuhen has done similar Norwegian Steamers but I believe no has done the Earnslaw. The portholes look awfully close to the water

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: T.S.S EarnslawPosted: November 10th, 2012, 12:41 am
Well as nobody has still done her and I've been in the mood trying to draw a real ship, here is a WIP of the Earnslaw as built;

[ img ]

I'm having to work solely from vague elevation drawings as I haven't been successful in finding many good pics of her in an as-built configuration. I plan on doing her as she is today as well but I want to get this done first. The mast is a stand in as are many of awnings but I've kind of got her shape there.

Btw the drawing I'm working from is this, you can what I mean by its lack of clarity;

[ img ]

Also could someone move this to real-designs considering it's a drawing WIP now? Thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: T.S.S EarnslawPosted: November 10th, 2012, 1:11 am
denodon wrote:
Btw the drawing I'm working from is this, you can what I mean by its lack of clarity;

[ img ]
That is a very good drawing with a lot of information!

you can see where the engine is placed (many steam ship of this size tend to have a skylight above the engine room) and where the boilers a placed.
open bridge, life boat, open deck and closed decks.

Open decks just in front bellow the bridge and forward to bow. there is also an opening between thee 1. class salon and the engine room superstructure.

my suggestion is to get someone to that have Photoshop or gimp to scale the drawing for you. I can't since this computer don't have any! (Borrowed computer, my computer is to the doctor!). What that person need is the size of the boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: T.S.S EarnslawPosted: November 10th, 2012, 2:00 am
Well the information I'm using comes from current operators website; http://www.tssearnslaw.co.nz/tss-earnsl ... formation/

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: T.S.S EarnslawPosted: November 10th, 2012, 8:08 am
My suggestion is to work on the hull and superstructure first, and then move on to the mast and lastly the stanchions and awnings.
Any way I'm hoping to see it completed soon.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: T.S.S EarnslawPosted: November 10th, 2012, 8:26 am
Yeah that's pretty much my usual workflow; underwater hull, above water hull, superstructure, funnels, masts/cranes, lifeboats, deck fittings, rigging and finally railings.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: