Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 32 of 54  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page « 130 31 32 33 3454 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 14th, 2012, 11:28 pm
I'll tinker with the canard it a bit more. I've had other feedback about the canopy looking a bit modern. Bubble canopies have been in use since the P-51, however, after a certain point, emphasis went away from dogfighting to interceptors and high-speed nuclear delivery, making visibility less a concern for aircraft designers, though certainly not the pilots that had the fly the things!

A bigger issue is I don't think the J-79 is going to power this beast. Wikipedia puts the most advanced version (that I don't even know when it will be available) of it at something like 18,000lbs of thrust, while I need 20,000-25,000lbs for starters. That means also footing the bill for Gyron, Iroquois, or RB.106's development, but at least there should be some nice tech transfers in the process.

One idea for a future power source might the the Olympus 593-610, but I doubt that will be available before the early 1970s or so.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Vehicles 5Posted: October 15th, 2012, 4:02 am
So recently Van and I have been jointly working on an AU, that pretty much gets rid of South America* (*Still under debate on how much is going to disappear). Anywho, here is the fighter my AU, Nua Avalon, developed:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 15th, 2012, 9:25 am
Very interesting design. Good work! :)

[Profile]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 15th, 2012, 9:39 am
Very cool Nighthunter, it will be great to see where it goes :)

[Profile]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 15th, 2012, 8:18 pm
Well, coming soon is the Trainer, the Fighter-bomber and the Wild Weasel.

[Profile]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 15th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Obsydian Shade wrote:
I'll tinker with the canard it a bit more. I've had other feedback about the canopy looking a bit modern. Bubble canopies have been in use since the P-51, however, after a certain point, emphasis went away from dogfighting to interceptors and high-speed nuclear delivery, making visibility less a concern for aircraft designers, though certainly not the pilots that had the fly the things!
It was also believed that radar made visibility less of a concern. You only needed to see in order to take off, land, and avoid hitting things. So aircraft canopy profiles were reduced to reduce drag.

[Profile]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 16th, 2012, 12:43 am
You make an excellent point there.

[ img ]

Probably the last version, this would enter service in the late 1970s to early 80s range, an attempt to milk the last use out of the airframes available, probably from a number of them that had been in storage. Improvements include F-15 radar, semi-conformal Aspide/Sky Flash carriage, upgraded engine, and improved RWR.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 16th, 2012, 12:55 am
I like it a lot!
Is the country still Great Britain or nueva Friesland ( sorry if I wrote down your au wrong )

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 16th, 2012, 1:04 am
Updated nation name, the nation is Nieuw Friesland, though the design is British. I haven't come up with a specific name for the aircraft yet, so I'm using the Hawker designation for it still. When the UK decided to dump the design, which was privately developed by Hawker, they searched for other buyers, and found the Nieuw Frieslanders interested, and willing to foot the rest of the bill.

Personally, I like the earlier versions better, as this design feels draggier, and less aerodynamic. It may well represent a limited run, though there is no reason some of the improvements, like the AAM carriage couldn't be backfitted to earlier versions.

[ img ]

[Profile]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale Alternate Universe DesignsPosted: October 16th, 2012, 8:32 am
It's very nice, but (sorry for being nit-picky :oops: ) I'm concerned with one detail, namely this:

[ img ]

EDIT: Actually it refers a bit to previous version too. Note, that the original P1121 had an exhaust of fixed diameter, and Yours is different.

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 32 of 54  [ 536 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 130 31 32 33 3454 »

Jump to: