Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 523 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 18th, 2012, 8:53 pm
Thanks for the refences.
Colombamike wrote:
If you draw this ship, the version must be the "1946-1948".
Because, at best, the first ship will be "keel laid down" by mid-1943, hull launched by late 1945 and commissioned by mid/late-1946.

Your drawing must be have:
- twin 76mm replacing quadruple 40mm bofor
- any single 20mm, and only a handfull of twin 20mm
- same radars/sensors used on the Salem/Worcester US cruisers (ships completed around 1948)
So the only chance to see montana commissioned in 1945 would be an improbable keel laying in mid 1942 just after they where approved by congress right?

[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on September 20th, 2012, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 18th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bow looks like it curves upward kinda steep. Shouldn't it have a more-elongated look to it? If Turret A fired just as it sat, it'd take out the tip of the foc'sle.
-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 18th, 2012, 9:08 pm
emperor_andreas wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bow looks like it curves upward kinda steep. Shouldn't it have a more-elongated look to it? If Turret A fired just as it sat, it'd take out the tip of the foc'sle.
-Matt
The bow flare it's just as it appears, obviously firing the guns forward at 0° elevation would rip apart the forecastle, but this feature is common on late US battleships; the Iowas looked about the same when talking about shape:
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 201944.png

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 18th, 2012, 9:38 pm
Colombamike wrote:
BB1987 wrote:
I'm thinking to also show the battleship in a possible configuration as commissioned with a stronger 40/20mm AA suite (montana beign commissioned in 1945 with a 3 year building time like the Iowas?) and another one for later ships (coming around 1947 or later) with 76mm guns for AA.
YES
If you draw this ship, the version must be the "1946-1948".
Because, at best, the first ship will be "keel laid down" by mid-1943, hull launched by late 1945 and commissioned by mid/late-1946.

Your drawing must be have:
- twin 76mm replacing quadruple 40mm bofor
- any single 20mm, and only a handfull of twin 20mm
- same radars/sensors used on the Salem/Worcester US cruisers (ships completed around 1948)
He can draw the ship however he wants.

It would make sense to draw it as designed, and then possibly a version like colombiamike suggests.

Up to you BB1987, you're the artist! Everyone else is just a spectator!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 18th, 2012, 10:20 pm
I think i will keep the one with 20mm orelikons and 40mm bofors as an own design then, after all every phisical model i saw around the internet shows AA armaments akin to the Iowas, and they are good references for other details.

Also, is correct to use boats from this sheet or they are only postwar ones?
[ img ]

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 19th, 2012, 7:58 pm
Might help:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm
The vast majority of that boat sheet is strongly postwar. There isn't a single boat on it that I can certainly say existed before 1950, although I am not an expert on this.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 19th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Well, I can certainly say that all the motor launches and motor boats did exist during the Interwar period, at least from 1930, if not earlier. The Mks 2 and 5 whaleboats did so likewise. The personnel boats did not, however, exist till post-1950. Others are simply developments of earlier designs. The glaring omission from the list are all the boats from the pre-1930 period! Maybe one day I'll fix that, though...

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 19th, 2012, 9:38 pm
BB1987 wrote:
Also, is correct to use boats from this sheet or they are only postwar ones?
I used boat plans from the book published in 1967 but I'm pretty sure (judging by the plans from the HNSA website) the motor launches/boats as well as whaleboats and plane rearming boats from this sheet were used before and during WW2.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: September 19th, 2012, 10:07 pm
Yes, they were!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 523 »

Jump to: