Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 18 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2027 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 10th, 2012, 12:16 pm
Bezo, I would agree that I was getting over-excited, indeed most vessels of that time did have ram bows, even if they did get smaller over time. The French, as you say, did go that way first although to be honest they had some pretty weird-looking ships (impressive and interesting, but unsuual).

Thiel, it seems by the early 1900s cruisers were starting to get some upper deck torpedo mounts. Perhaps one on each beam aft of the beam mounts? Quarterdeck torpedoes seem a rare thing. Mounting fixed tubes on the main deck would mean weakening the upper belt or placing the tubes outside the citadel. Underwater broadside is more common in this period but if your worried about ice etc. then it might not be a good idea.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 11th, 2012, 5:59 pm
[ img ]
Boat handling has been shuffled around a bit since I realised the boom I had wasn't long enough to reach over the side.
Boat compliment consists of two 23ft Motor Gigs, a 26ft Motor Longboat and three 26ft Longboats.
I'm still not sure what to do with the torpedoes. The two submerged tubes are only there to test the waters so to speak.
I'm considering mounting a rotating set of tubes on each beam (singles or twins) like it was done on the real life Valkyrien class

One detail I'd like some help with is the coaling scuttles, or rather where I should place them. I'm an oil man thru-n-thru and I find non-liquid fuels to be strange in the extreme.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 11th, 2012, 8:50 pm
Lovely design Thiel, but i think the torpedo tubes are badly placed. The torpedo room and the aft gun magazine share the same place, and I think it's not possible, so you might want to re-locate one or the other.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 12th, 2012, 11:16 am
[ img ]
Revised torpedo armament. Still need help on the coaling scuttles.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 13th, 2012, 12:58 pm
I share your lack of knowledge of soild-fuelled ships but I believe the coal scuttles would probably be along each beam along the deck. Most coal bunkers were fairly low in the ship, often as some kind of cofferdam system or behind the lower belts to give bouyancy and some degree of compartmentalisation. So I would figure on the deck plan they would be near the funnels close to the superstructure. Perhaps a couple near the torpedo tubes. I think such scuttles were quite small. I'm sure I've got a plan of an RN early battlecruiser with scuttle positions on it somewhere that I can dig out, perhaps on Torpedo Boats too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 13th, 2012, 1:20 pm
I've been going through my collection of blueprints from the era and it would seem you're right. I don't have any drawings that show the coal bunker themselves, but all the coal powered ships from about 1880 and forward have a number of what looks like round manhole covers along the edge of the deck that I think are coal scuttles. They certainly aren't for the artillery.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 13th, 2012, 1:48 pm
[ img ]
And here we go. Now I just need to add the props and a touch of shading to the underwater hull and it's done. (Famous last words)

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 21st, 2012, 11:44 am
[ img ]
Unless someone has something to add I think this version is finished. All it needs now is a template.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 21st, 2012, 9:27 pm
Beautiful work Thiel, but you might want to think about raising the funnels, by about 4 feet (8 pixels). This will give better draught to the engine-room as well as preventing the ashes from landing on deck when the ship steams slowly.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 10:38 am
I would raise the funnels a bit too. But generally it looks very nice so far (like the whole thread). Lookin forward to see more.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 18 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2027 »

Jump to: