Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 8th, 2012, 1:54 am
klagldsf wrote:
Scifibug wrote:
And the pandering continues.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/s ... 53043204/1

While I amire Ms. Giffords and hope for continued recovery her I do not believe her name should be used for naming a US Navy Minsweeper, er, I mean LCS.

1. She's never served in the Navy.
2. She is not a "Regionally Important American City or Community"
3. She's a living person.
You forgot #4, we're going to honor a victim of weapon violence with a ship designed to kill people with weapons.
So, you're saying that CV-67 and CVN-79 were/will be named inappropriately, or am I reading you wrong?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 8th, 2012, 3:27 am
The difference is in the case of Kennedy and Reagan, they were great leaders who actually served in some capacity in the Navy. In Gabriel Giffords' case, it's just the wrong kind of pandering. That's just my very political opinion.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 13th, 2012, 5:02 am
Now could I say the Japanese are the best? The never change their ship naming convention :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 13th, 2012, 5:07 am
^ exactly, same with the RAN more or less

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 15th, 2012, 6:51 am
I personally belive CVN-79 was innaprorpirate in the since that there already was a USS JFk, more so when you figure in the current Kennedy clan has done nothing worthy of the honor or even partakes in the naval service in over 4 decades.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 15th, 2012, 5:02 pm
It's not quite as appropriate as the old JFK is at least very close towards being taken off the register.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 28th, 2012, 4:19 pm
Page 6 of the report:

"Cost to prepare this report: $62,707"

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 29th, 2012, 11:59 pm
No wonder we are $13 trillion in debt

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: September 4th, 2012, 5:03 pm
I think the one thing the report misses is that perk of Naming warships for the SECNAV is a privilege and not a right one that can be removed. whats really incredible is how little respect Mabus has for the average sailor and Marine and how bad he has messed up his "Green the Fleet" initiative which is legitimately important.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: