Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1113 »
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 4th, 2012, 8:59 am
Trojan
Thanks! I liked it very much as well. The problem is finding equally badass names for the rest of the missiles! ;)
The CIWS are 25mm.

eswube
I'm aware it was completly outdated by the 80's. I'm just saying, it was still in service.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 5th, 2012, 1:25 am
So, here comes TWO CGs! Since they are follow-ons I break my normal rule of biggest first.
Something I should mention is that the designation "destroyer" has fallen out of use in the Gotrige Navy by the 70's, as it is considered obsolete, since "destroyers" now practicaly perform the roles of cruisers, it all falls into that cathegory.
Anyway, punts it of with the Balder Class.

The Balder class was Gotrige's first purpose-built Surface target missile cruiser. It's most important features was the TAK-155 gun and the sixteenSurface Target Missile M/72: "Gungnir" missiles tubes. For air defence it carried the domestic long-ranged Air Target Missile M/73 "Nidhögg", and for close-range a heavily modified version of the Seacat SAM system. The class consisted of 16 units, carrying names of the different Norse gods, all entering service between 1976 and 1979. The last units would have the Seacat replaced by an all-new CIWS system(Not shown so far), a feature all the units would later adopt.
For being ship of such a new type they were considered a huge succes. Their only greater weakness was the fact that they initially had a rather poor short-range air defence, due to the obsolete Seacat system, something that was soon remedied.
They would continue in active service onto 1996, when most units were mothballed, and before the turn of the century, they would be scrapped.

[ img ]

The Oden class was intended to succed the Balder class with 12 units, but due to economical and political reasons, the class would be cut down to four:Oden, Frigg, Tor, and Niord. They were bigger than their predeccesors, an increase in size spent towards another TAK-155, a larger hangar for the helicopter, and more powerful radar and FC. They also, from the start, carried CIWS instead of Seacats.
Oden entered service in december 1979, but the rest of the class was momentarily put on hold for a year, resulting in them entering service '81 and '82.
Typicaly taking flagship roles due to their very powerful radar, these ships would be rotated in a pattern with three in service, one "on service"
(Bad pun intended).
Somewhat top-heavy, they wouldn't be as appreciated by their crew as the
Balder class, but the officers thought highly of them in their leader role.
Aged and very tired by 2010, two of these ships has been decommissioned and scrapped, while the other two remain in the reserve fleet, due to the fact that the government is reluctant to put out money for new ships.

[ img ]
Hope you like 'em! :D

Note: I know they have a slightly... unfinished appearance in some areas. The drawing process at this stage is extremly slow. I'll be updating them as I go, but can't think of anything at the momment.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 5th, 2012, 1:53 am
Interesting designs. I'm not too familiar with modern-ish style vessels (anything with missiles) but the funnels look a tad too broad for them given the types of propulsion you'd likely see in these vessels when compared to real ones of the period.

I would have given the Balder a much increased sheer on the bow as well similar to some of the soviet cruisers to give better sea keeping in the north sea (she looks very wet in a rough sea currently).

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 5th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Thanks! I'm pretty amateurish at "anything with missiles" as well(that's why I make my own missile and radar systems ;) ).
I've updated it according to advice now. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 5th, 2012, 6:51 pm
With Gas turbines you are going to need another set of uptakes on a ship this size, and I'd look at adding a bit more shear to the bow, and stick a missile system aft of the gun on the bow, because they look very lightly equipped.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 6th, 2012, 8:13 am
I'm not too sure about adding a missile system fore of the superstructure. I'll look into it though.
And, about the uptakes: What are those? I didn't even knew I've made them. I have very little knowledge on the ships of this era, especially this big... :?

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 6th, 2012, 8:41 am
The uptakes are the funnels. In most modern ships they have many distinct uptakes ducted into smaller funnels. Best examples are the Perrys for seeing how this is used in practice.

I prefer big uptakes from boilers belching clouds of exhaust steam and furnace smoke myself but each to his own.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 6th, 2012, 8:56 am
Oh.
I'll get to fixing it in a not too distant future then.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm
UPDATED!
I've neglected adding a missile launcher(of any kind) aft of the fore gun. After looking 'round for a bit I noticed several IRL designs does not feature missile launchers in the middle of the ship/superstructure, so I point to that as an explanation.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: AU Empire of GotrigePosted: August 10th, 2012, 12:24 am
What about moving the for gun forward and adding a launcher behind it
Not sure if it would fit but it's worth a shot as it would add a lot of capability to your ship

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 13  [ 122 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1113 »

Jump to: