Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 22  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1422 »
denodon
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: July 19th, 2012, 1:45 am
Hmm, not sure about that configuration but it might be possible. For such a small vessel you might do well looking at the arrangements of coast defense ships and predreadnoughts to get an idea for how they were typically arranged and made use of the displacement they had. Usually they did not have super firing turrets (later design I think?) and only a few navies used turrets for their secondaries. Most used either case mates in the hull or the superstructure (in particular the corners) for locating them.

I would just keep the foremast with spotting tower and remove the main. That'd free up some weight, improve stability as well as removing that awkward location for scouts.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: July 19th, 2012, 10:53 am
It wasn't very unusual to have the spotting tower badly placed in relation to funnels. Take the... (looks it up)... British Lion class for example, where the conning tower is essentially built around the fore funnel, with the tripod mast being slightly aft of it. I'm not saying it's a good way to do it, but it is entirely possible.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: July 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Actually, Superfinring turrets came in just around this time, Orion had them in 1910, HMS Neptune in 1909. Also, lots of differnt ships had issues with spotting top locations, even the Dreadnought had hers sitting above the funnel, as did many earlier vessels. Also, (I need to find a synonym for that word) the secondaries are deck guns, not turrets.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: July 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm
Ah yes I forgot about the Orion.I know that many ships had spotting issues, I was just recommending that it might be something worth considering in your design. Deck guns eh? I suppose you're right. I would have used case mates in the superstructure if only to keep historical accuracy though your deck guns would be far more effect in bad weather conditions.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: July 21st, 2012, 6:45 pm
Now for Cenetian Submarines:
In 1912, Cenet purchased the HMS C20 from Great Britain. In Centian service, she was renamed as the CNF 8. She proved her worth during trials, and served as the basis for the Kol Class.
[ img ]
The most successful early Cenetian submarine was the Kol Class. Built from 1913-1916, these vessels were modeled after the British C Class, Cenet having aquired HMS C20 in 1912. As with the ship she was modeled after, the Kol Class boats performed exceptionally well underwater, and so-so on the surface. Of the 20 vessels built, 17 fought in the Second Russo-Cenet War, the others having been lost due to the weather. 12 Kol Class subs survived the war, and were decommsissioned in 1927.
[ img ]
Next is the Tümmler Class. I fixed this one up a bit (see page 9 for the old and not-so-good version).
The Tümmler class was built in the mid 1920's, and was Cenet's first large submarine. The class consisted of 27 vessels out of the 30 ordered, the last being cancelled in 1931 in favor of the Lunzhak class. Some of these boats survived long enough to see action in the Second World War, but their cramped conditions and relitivly short range restricted their envolvement to coastal defence and training duties. (At least one of the vessels of this class was present and active during the Battle of Komer Bay, and repotedly scored hits on atleast 2 Japanese craft.) There were no vessels of this class in active service by 1944.
[ img ]
In 1930, plans were drawn up for a replacement to the Tümmler Class subs. This was the Lunzhak Class. Constructed from 1931-1935, many of the 43 boats built saw action in World War 2, but by midwar were mainly used for lifeguarding duties with the allied carrier groups. One of the key issues with the Lunzhak was it's inability to dive quickly, which hampered it's effectiveness in combat. The last 7 boats of the class were cancelled in favor of the newer Folter Class.
[ img ]
In 1935, a team of Cenetian designers and engineers went to Europe to tour German and Italian shipyards and met with designers to get input and knowledge for designing the next generation of Cenetian subs. The result of this expedition was the Folter Class, the largest and most advanced Pre-war Cenetian submarine. from 1936-1940, 48 vessels were constructed. When designed, these boats were meant to correct the erros of the Lunzhak Class and also incorporate the knowledge gained from the Germans and Italians. They were the main Cenetian fleet submaine of the Second World War, and were highly successful. The last active Folter Class submarine was struck form the register in 1953.
[ img ]

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: August 1st, 2012, 2:17 pm
During the Fleet Modernization of the 1930's, plans were laid out for new classes of light cruisers. One of those was the Zhumlo class. These seven ships were designed for scouting and AAW, but with their 7.3" main guns, they could also do significant damage to similarly classed vessels.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: August 1st, 2012, 5:01 pm
Almost like mini coastal battleships in appearance at least to my eyes
Nice job!

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: August 1st, 2012, 5:16 pm
Short and top heavy, there will be problems with stability. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: August 1st, 2012, 7:54 pm
Very nice subs Raxar,IMO the hardest thing to draw.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Federation of CenetPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 2:48 am
Raxar, can I tell you that I just love some of your names! They're really sounding fanciful! :D :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 22  [ 212 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1422 »

Jump to: