Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 10  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »
prairie canuck
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 15th, 2010, 5:18 am
From what I've read in numerous articles and other forums is there's a strong agenda to have "plug and play" systems as a part of the SCSC. With this in mind I imagined that the SM-3's and Tomahawks would be installed when the mission deemed it necessary. This also leaves the option to carry 8 Tomahawks or 8 SM-3's.
I was looking at the dimensions and didn't think they would fit in the Mark 41?

Thanks for the interest and if there's any other suggestions please keep them coming.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 15th, 2010, 11:19 am
Tomahawks are 20.5" (or 52 cm) in diameter, while a VLS cell is 22". The SM-3 Block II is 21" in diameter, so yes they fit. They don't fit in shipbucket scale because missiles are drawn larger for detail. Next time do your research.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 15th, 2010, 3:45 pm
why aren't you using the new oto melara 76 stealth gun?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=388

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 15th, 2010, 7:27 pm
deleted

Last edited by Colombamike on March 30th, 2011, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 15th, 2010, 7:39 pm
colombimike, some comments on your comments:
the APAR + smart-L will be used on the real ship. although it won't be looking like this, it is still an good idea for an air defence ship like this one. on the other points I more or less agree, but I would make an 48 cell vls for an ship that could be named destroyer.
with the gun I think you mean my new one?

prairie canuck, the missile directors are useless, as the APAR takes that task. other then that, look at colombimikes points and this ship might get good working!

[Profile] [Quote]
prairie canuck
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 15th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Yeouch! :shock: It's obvious why there's a beginner's forum and why I'm here. I guess I'll be busy for a while but thanks to all.
Oh and I did try to do some research on the missile diameters but there's not too many sites where that kind of information is available.

Decided to add the updated version here.
Attachment:
IROQUOIS NEW BUILD 6.GIF

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 16th, 2010, 1:56 pm
prairie canuck
You cann't place those gun mountungs on-top of the bridge or the hagar roof. There are deck-penetrations issues like power supply, ammo and spent-cartridges collection.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 16th, 2010, 5:23 pm
deleted

Last edited by Colombamike on March 30th, 2011, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 17th, 2010, 1:00 am
Novice wrote:
prairie canuck
You cann't place those gun mountungs on-top of the bridge or the hagar roof. There are deck-penetrations issues like power supply, ammo and spent-cartridges collection.
I think the only reason why people are in love with that gun mount is because it looks so frickkin' tacticool, mang.

[Profile] [Quote]
prairie canuck
Post subject: Re: Canadian Common Hull combatant ConceptPosted: November 17th, 2010, 7:40 am
Though I started with the Halifax CPF as the base it has left that design behind. Fitted as it is, it would be a four ship destroyer class. The same hull would be used for the follow on frigates but with a much reduced arsenal.

I've returned the CIWS to the Phalnax block II
Attachment:
IROQUOIS NEW BUILD 6.GIF

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 10  [ 94 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 510 »

Jump to: