Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 11  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 811 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 15th, 2012, 9:50 am
I think we should show torpedoes in some circumstances, but we can have it under the boat instead for above.

[Profile] [Quote]
graham
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 15th, 2012, 11:23 am
DG Alpha
Great drawing sorry if i am a bit late with this but I have put a couple of High rez photos at the link the one of Koln is when she visited Melbourne in 1935 it shows her with the changes to the heavy AA guns and directors just fwd of the aft 150mm turrets

Graham
Now living in the SHARK Attack Capital of the world - another surfer got munch up yesterday but is that a loss to the world ?

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/graham003/

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 15th, 2012, 11:48 am
Excellent drawing!!!! I like how you have done it! Oh I tast Irony when I did draw the ''Kaliningrad'' Hahaha

[Quote]
MOSQUITO
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 16th, 2012, 8:55 am
is really the underwater hull so different between this ship and the Nurnberg?

see this http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... rg%201.gif

From my remembering, this ship is:
3 shafts driven by 4 MAN 10-cylinder diesels (cruising) or 2 geared turbines;68000 shp

here there is only two shafts and the end of the keel is very slim?

just my advice :?

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 16th, 2012, 10:19 am
@graham: Thank for the photos, they really showed some details I had previously missed on some of my references.

@MOSQUITO:
Well, the Nürnberg is of a different class, so differences are possible. My sources give the Königsberg-class 2 shafts, driven by 4 turbines, fired by six oil boilers and 2 10-ylinder diesel auxiliary engines (the mast-like thingie behind turret B and the AA is the diesel exhaust pipe, btw). As for the underwater hull, this picture shows what it was like on the Königsberg.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 16th, 2012, 10:37 am
Oh DG_Alpha, are you happen to give me a proper explantion about the turret setup? I have never understand the German books about it heh, I can read it, but I just don't get it!

[Quote]
MOSQUITO
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 16th, 2012, 11:02 am
DG_Alpha : ok, i was searching for this site and you give me the answer, thanks

it is interesting, specially here: 2 shafts

http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/WeaponB ... raw/09.jpg

with the difference for the Nurnberg here: 3 shafts (central shaft for the diesel)

http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/WeaponB ... raw/13.jpg

Alvama:

with this drawing:
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/WeaponB ... raw/04.jpg

you could maybe see why are those turret not aligned (if it is your question):

for an adversary coming in front of the ship, there is only the front turret with 3 guns for replying,
but if the adversary could be put a little more on the left, the first rear turret as a wider angle of fire, as it is placed near the port side,
but if the adversary could be put a little more on the right, the rearmost turret as a wider angle of fire, as it is placed near the staboard side,

thus having 6 gun for returning the fire and exposing the minimum of the ship side....

;)

Last edited by MOSQUITO on July 16th, 2012, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 16th, 2012, 2:28 pm
@ALVAMA:
The Königsberg-class was built as a counter to the french Duguay-Trouin-class, armed with 4*2 155mm guns, but relatively unarmored. The Königsberg was supposed to work as a fleet cruiser, but also as scout and raider and at the same time stand up against its french counterpart. Triple turrets were chosen to reduced weight (as opposed to four twin turrets) while at the same time increasing firepower (one more gun). (Another early plan for the cruiser called for three twin 190mm turrets, but never came true).
Arranging two turrets facing aft was because of the ship's role as a scout and raider. Aircraft were forbidden by the Versailles treaty, so the cruiser had get in sight contact to the enemy for recon. With more firepower facing backwards, chances of survival were higher when retreating. However, to increase the forward firepower in the planned role as fleet cruiser the turrets were arranged in an asymmetrical fashion. As mentioned before, it allowed the turrets to turn a few degrees further to port/starboard. In an extrem situation, the tuurets could - with extrem high barrel angle - fire above the funnel and forward superstructure directly ahaed, although parts of the mast had - and could - be folded down for that. So yeah, the reason for the arrangement was basically to get the maximum out of the passibilities they had. I hope that helps.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 16th, 2012, 2:36 pm
DG_Alpha wrote:
@ALVAMA:
The Königsberg-class was built as a counter to the french Duguay-Trouin-class, armed with 4*2 155mm guns, but relatively unarmored. The Königsberg was supposed to work as a fleet cruiser, but also as scout and raider and at the same time stand up against its french counterpart. Triple turrets were chosen to reduced weight (as opposed to four twin turrets) while at the same time increasing firepower (one more gun). (Another early plan for the cruiser called for three twin 190mm turrets, but never came true).
Arranging two turrets facing aft was because of the ship's role as a scout and raider. Aircraft were forbidden by the Versailles treaty, so the cruiser had get in sight contact to the enemy for recon. With more firepower facing backwards, chances of survival were higher when retreating. However, to increase the forward firepower in the planned role as fleet cruiser the turrets were arranged in an asymmetrical fashion. As mentioned before, it allowed the turrets to turn a few degrees further to port/starboard. In an extrem situation, the tuurets could - with extrem high barrel angle - fire above the funnel and forward superstructure directly ahaed, although parts of the mast had - and could - be folded down for that. So yeah, the reason for the arrangement was basically to get the maximum out of the passibilities they had. I hope that helps.
Ahhh, Okay! Thanks that make sence! it's indeed what I readed in German, but this makes it clear! It still remains a bit odd though! Seening a ship with a setup like this! Haha

[Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Königsberg- (K-class) cruisersPosted: July 18th, 2012, 12:22 pm
[ img ]

Went back to the Königsberg and made some minor changes. I also corrected some shading and applied a different colour schme to each of the back turrets to show the non-centerline arrangement. I hope this works, but If you have better suggestions, let me know. Just in case you don't know: the lower aft turret is closer, the upper aft turret is farther away.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 11  [ 109 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 811 »

Jump to: