Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 28 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page « 126 27 28 29 3076 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: May 19th, 2012, 6:26 am
These ships served with the Hellenic Coastguard from 1950-2004.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: May 19th, 2012, 11:32 am
The current submarines of RHN.

[ img ]

Main difference from Zwaardvis Class is the propulsion:3 TAG 12V672SE80,1400hp each.

Question:Complement of Zwaardvis Class was 65-67,Walrus has 50-55,while a Type 209/1100 has only 31.I am thinking of combining electronics from these 2 submarines (I have a very good description of electronics used by Hellenic Navy Type 209 and have information about the Zwaardvis).How plausible is that?Can this submarine have a complement of 44-50 maximum?

-Note 1:The subclass Poseidon (4 last built) designed to have Exocet SM-39 (and Adis IIU).
-Note 2:Triaina class had a complement of 84.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 4th, 2012, 7:31 pm
As I said some pages back,Blach Sea Navy Command of RHN had 8 DD Hunt III Class,which loaned from UK during the WW2 and after the end of the War UK government decided to give them to RHN.Ships served in Aegean for about fifteen years when transferred in Black Sea.There all passed a modernization program in late 1960's,in which split in two variants:one ASW and an OPV/MLS variant.Also their machinery replaced with newer locally made boilers and steam turbines.Finally decomissioned in early to mid 1990's.
Since I have Dardo on them,I will need its director.But what radars do I need?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 4th, 2012, 8:58 pm
I doubt it would be worth it. The RDN considered the Hunt class to have "no real military value" as early as 1958. I simply don't see why you'd keep them around until the late sixties without at least one major upgrade before then you still have to deal with the fact that these are war built vessels and are unlikely to have much hull life left in them.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 5th, 2012, 1:36 pm
In the 1950's RHN budget was limited,so only a mid-size rebuilt in machinery and hull could be done,just to keep them alive.Weaponry remained "as was",but did received impoved ammunition both for guns and the Limbo ASW mortar.On the other hand,the Black Sea Command in early 1960's operated several Nestor class DDs which was designed in the mid 1930's and were worn out.So the rebuilt Hunt was a good offer (at free cost) and immidiately after the transfer the modernization program thought by the local shipyard.First unit actually recommisioned in 1965 and last in 1968,so the timeline is more mid 1960's than late.The ASW units passed in reserve in mid 1980's followed by the OPV variant later (before 1990).Only one survives in the local Naval Museum (the D-101 Perinthus) and all others became targets for various missile tests until late 1990's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 5th, 2012, 2:05 pm
That still doesn't change the fact that without a overhaul these ships will be comming apart in their seams by the early sixties and they still don't have any military value. If money are as scarce as you suggest then you'd be better off selling the lot for scrap and buying a smaller number of modern units.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 7th, 2012, 12:39 pm
Ok,more Konon Mk1 then (built in Messimvria Shipyard from 1959-1965) and only one original Hunt III in the local Navy Museum.

-Not even the Frontier Guard can use them as OPVs after a rebuilt?
-Armament guns only,for about 15-20 years.Timeline 1943/1956-1958/1964/1980 (Built/Refit/New weaponry/Decomissioned) for 6 units.Note the RHN does not throw out anything,especially guns-note that some (rebuilt/modernized) OTO Melara Allagarto are still alive in Black Sea Command and in Training Ship Aris A74.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 7th, 2012, 1:17 pm
Why would you retain a gun that they never could get to function properly?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 7th, 2012, 8:45 pm
I did not knew that about the Allargato.Ships with that gun in RHN were the Konon/Zeus Class,Evniki(Asheville-H) Class,Klasse 145/Karaolis Class,most of them in Black Sea.Yes,the gun had some problems but technicians of Black Sea Navy found a solution and fix it in early 1980's after using the method "trial and error".The Zeus OPV retained the Allargato in all their life,while Navy replace it with OTO Melara 76/62 Compatto from the Gearing Class DD in mid 1990's (8 guns total).

-Note that a version of Allargato 76/62 ("MMI") was still in service with Italian Navy in 2011 (Cassiopea class).

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Hellenian KingdomPosted: July 8th, 2012, 1:42 pm
I was aboard museum ship DD Velos today morning and I revised my AU Fletchers.They had originally 4 single 5"/38 guns and after refit only the two lower ones remain,with the other two replaced by Bofors ASW mortar.Thyella (Storm) Class had both rear guns removed for 8 SSM Adis I and one Bofors mortar.The Sfendoni Class ELINT/SIGINT variant had the same ASW equipment with Velos Class except the AUV Triton.Note that the sonar was the SQS-19 of Gearing FRAM I in all these Fletchers.

[ img ]

The OPV Zeus Mk2 built in Messivria Shipyard to replace the Hunt III together with the Konon Mk2B (or Konon ASuW).As all other ships of this class,are of very strong structure so many are still alive.The OPV variant has a complement of 88 (plus a specially trained medical team of 6).When Zeus Mk2 served in the Navy Command,they had sonar (which was removed before given to Frontier Guard) and complement was 104.Although she did not had ASW weapons except the Alouette/QH-50/ZH-50,Zeus Mk2 was patrolling together with her ASW sisterships for enemy submarines in Black Sea for more than 30 years.The FG OPV variant is identical with HCG one,but for the ESM on rear mast.Also received Oto Melara 76/62,when HCG cousins retained the Allargatto gun in all their life.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 28 of 76  [ 756 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 126 27 28 29 3076 »

Jump to: