Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 921 »
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 12th, 2010, 5:05 pm
I am sure the DC would be willing to sell you the design of their CVN. :P And I too am wondering about using a Thales system for my carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 12th, 2010, 6:02 pm
I'm tempted, but I don't know if that could handle F-14 which is a definite requirement.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 12th, 2010, 6:05 pm
[ img ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Dido Klasse was so large that I decided it should be a CG instead, but there are limitations with its layout, so I tried three different schemes, including one with Sea Phoenix, which I think has great promise. Will any of these actually work, however?

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

Last edited by Obsydian Shade on November 13th, 2010, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 12th, 2010, 7:26 pm
Ok these have potential.
  • I'm not sure why you have the Mk-16 ASROC/Harpoon launcher midships on the design, as you've got what is presumably a 44 round Mk-26 Mod 1 in the A position on all of them. If you just want to mount Harpoons as it looks like on second inspection, I'd just mount two four-round Mk-141s as they would be smaller and weigh less.
  • You are using the old SPS-48 on these ships. I'd pull up the newer version from the USN Radar Sheet posted here.
  • I'm not sure why you have that radar on the secondary Mack, but I'd replace it with a more modern long range 2D set.
  • The aft end off all of the ships looks off.
    • On the first, I don't like that the aft gun has to fire over the hanger.
      1. Remove the aft gun.
      2. Slide the hanger forward to take up this space, while raising the landing pad up a deck
      3. Slide the Aft Mk-26 (I presume this is the 24 round Mod 0 mount, as I'm not sure you could fit the 44 or 64 round mods in the volume you have with the VDS fish right there) to where the landing pad is now
      4. Place the aft gun where the Mk-26 is now.
      • In Short, make it look more like a Kidd (then again, that's just my personal design aesthetic
    • On the Second:
      • You've got an AN/SPG-51 facing aft with the Sea Phoenix mount. I don't see a reason for this radar, or the WM-25 egg you have back there.
      • The Sea Phoenix mount itself is way too large for what I think you are trying to do. Remember in Shipbucket drawings missiles are drawn large to show detail, if they were not drawn larger than scale the width of the Standard missile's body would be just two pixels.
      • With the above in mind The current mount looks like a 12 round mount (one 6 round box [3 vertical, two horizontal] on each side of the radar).
    • On the Third
      • I would pull out the Mk-13 from where you have it, and slide the hanger forward, potentially extending hte hanger.
      • If you want you could keep the Mk-13, by mounting it aft, and bellow the landing pad (requiring you to raise the landing pad)*
*Yes while I am advocating raising equipment up a deck on both the first and third designs, by lowering some of the heavier equipment, the metacentric height would be lowered.

Last edited by TimothyC on November 12th, 2010, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 12th, 2010, 9:35 pm
I have to agree with Tim on this one. They do look good, but he has a point.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 12th, 2010, 10:01 pm
Actually I'm surprised he didn't think there's enough room forward for a twin-arm 26. BTW, that's what I think, just to let you know.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 13th, 2010, 10:30 am
As we speak, I'm busy making corrections. In the meantime, any comment on the carrier? I've never tried one before.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 13th, 2010, 1:31 pm
@ TimothyC: Your first suggestion was the winner for a completely double ended configuration, offering the most capability of the designs by far. Hopefully, everything is in the correct place. With the gunnery fire control egg, there wasn't enough room forward, so I had to settle for the option for placing one on each side of the mast, but as I understand it, they can do more than direct the guns, so there might be minor benefit in that arrangement.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 13th, 2010, 2:22 pm
Incidently, thanks to Wikipedia and Universe, and that huge honkin mast of his, I was able to correct some of the problems on the two BCG designs on page 6, as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 13th, 2010, 4:38 pm
[ img ]

Here is the carrier with some of the airwing, and defensive systems included.

Total Airwing:

Fixed Wing:
24x F-14E Super Tomcat-21
32x F-18F Super Hornet
4xEF-18 Growler
4xE-2C Hawkeye
6xS-3B Viking

Helicopters:
4xEH-101 ASW
2xEH-101 SAR

Probably going to have to really adjust my naval numbers after this....

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 921 »

Jump to: