Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 10  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 27th, 2012, 12:49 pm
In this AU, tea party movment is exaclty what I make it to be.

And I consider it being quite plausible.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 27th, 2012, 1:10 pm
Shall it be a cup of tea sir?!

It's a interesting read this.

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 27th, 2012, 4:03 pm
Good story. Overall, well thought out and damn well written, but it is an AU after all. I really don't think that naval engagement in the Persian Gulf would be that one sided.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 27th, 2012, 11:32 pm
I have to agree, well thought out overall, with a bit of concern to the plausibility of a one-sided Naval engagement between US & Soviet Forces. Mainly due to the fact that if the USN had to face a peer Blue-Water Navy like itself, weapons development would have been different, particularly in the AShM area to deal with the Soviet Surface Fleet and its carriers.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:46 am
The hardest part in creating your imaginary fleet is to then think what the enemy would do, and answer it ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 28th, 2012, 5:00 pm
:lol: Should we get Erik_T & TimothyC to make the USN of GollyVerse? :lol:

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 28th, 2012, 6:47 pm
Gollevainen, I really admire Your imagination and an effort You've made to create all the backstory for this AU!
That said, I must also admit that - as a historian - I just don't consider this scenario (it's history) plausible at all. Of course, this is YOUR AU, so essentially if You say that "this and that happened in that manner" then it has to be so. :)
My biggest reservations are about the extent of Finland's expansion into Siberia and Far East. I mean, having Finland up to Ob river and perhaps a third state, more along the lines of (real-life) Far Eastern Republic in all the areas east of Ob river would be (in my humble opinion) more reasonable, given the geography, historical and economical procesess etc.
But of course it's Your AU, Your fun (in the first place), and of course it's already too late to change anything major in it, so let's just continue this very interesting thread. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:00 pm
Heh, I find Finish far east far more plausible than many other factors in this AU....But the proplem with "Historically plausible" in AU ideas is that if you try to make it as plausible as possiple, you eventually end up only repreating the OTL as it is de facto the sole plausible scenario there is. Everytime you venture into "what if " area you bound to change and alter the reality.

Thus IMO "Historial plausibility" shouldn't be that big thing in AU scenarios. More important is the overall cohesion and the concept of the scenario. For me AU's are way of having fun and playing with your imagination.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:16 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
For me AU's are way of having fun and playing with your imagination.
Well, not everything here played well with my imagination. ;)

When I was referring to "historical plausibility", I didn't mean that "in real life X happened so there couldn't be Y outcome in Your AU", since in alternative universe it could - by very definition - easily happen in a completely different manner, but rather "how things work in history, related to geography and - to lesser extent - in economy". In this particular case, I don't believe in the possibility of creation and maintaining of a country with such geographical shape in this part of the world.

But as I said, it's Your AU, therefore if You say so, it has to be so. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Alternative Soviet Union & Warsaw PactPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:45 pm
I probably missed this somewhere but why is Serbia part of the Soviet Union but not Croatia and I think it would be extremely difficult to even control the balkans for an extended period of time
but as eswube says its your au
an excellant one by the way

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 10  [ 93 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10 »

Jump to: