Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 72 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 170 71 72 73 74137 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 6:03 am
Just link it in to the Fire Control System (FCS).

The SPG-60 is good for this - it can function (albeit with limitations) as a fire control set for missiles up to the SM-1MR (as was the case on the California class).

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 8:37 am
And here we have all groups.

Group 1 (1972-76)
[ img ]
1 x 4.5"/55; 1 x Mk.13 GMLS (16 SeaDragon); 1 x 8-cell Mk.16 ASROC (8 SeaTiger + 8 Reloads); 1 x 4-cell SeaDart (16 reloads); 2 x 20mm Autocannon; 6 x Mk.32 Stingray SVTT (2 x 3)

Group 2A (1976-78)
[ img ]
as above except: Mk.13 replaced with 1 x 4.5"/55; ASROC replaced with Mk.26 GMLS (32 x SeaDragon, 12 x SeaTiger); SeaDart replaced with 1 x 8-cell SeaSpike; aft position taken by 4 x Tarantula SSM

Group 2B (1978-79)
[ img ]
as above except: Twin angled funnels replaced with single funnel. Armament unchanged.

Group 2C (1980)
[ img ]
as above except: 20mm CIWS added

Group 2NK (1979-80)
[ img ]
Built in New Kandor yards for the Royal New Kandor Navy (Dominion)
as above except: 4.5"/55 replaced with 5"/54; Tarantula replaced with 4 x {exocet (still working on a name)}

Group 3 (1984-87)
[ img ]
as Group 2C except: Mk.26 GMLS replaced with Mk.41 61-cell VLS; Tarantula replaced with 8 x Scorpion SSM

other specs will be worked out prior to posting in my "navy almanac"

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 7:22 pm
I dont know if that phalanx has a very good field of fire in that location but I may be wrong
Looking very good though

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 7:27 pm
It's not great placement for the Phalanx, but it's not terrible either.

Which group of these is the planned Air Warfare destroyer? I ask because that group should have a 3D radar at the absolute minimum. Much more likely is a 3D set and a 2D set.

Edit: ASROC, being a surface to surface weapon is shown horizontally, and the VLS version is slightly different, and is on the USN parts sheet thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 8:31 pm
TimothyC wrote:
It's not great placement for the Phalanx, but it's not terrible either.

Which group of these is the planned Air Warfare destroyer? I ask because that group should have a 3D radar at the absolute minimum. Much more likely is a 3D set and a 2D set.
Groups 2 and 3 are both the AA types. I thought they already had 2D with the SPS-49? For the 3D, I probably ought have SPS-39/52 or 48, right? Suggestions on where to put them would be appreciated.
TimothyC wrote:
Edit: ASROC, being a surface to surface weapon is shown horizontally, and the VLS version is slightly different, and is on the USN parts sheet thread.
[ img ] Yeah, I know that. I just forgot to swap the images out.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 8:36 pm
SPS-49 is an long range 2D radar
SPS-48 would be the best 3d radar IIRC, and I suppose (ala spruance/kidd) you could simply replace the 49 for the 48.

EDIT reread timothy's post.... an second set would need an second mast :P I personally would just swap the 2, as you lack space a bit, but for optimal work you would need 2.... or you could use SPS-01 xD :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 8:46 pm
Ah. Yeah, I apparently misread. I thought he had implied "and" instead of "in place of". Thats what I get for just doing a quickread. D'oh.
I think the SPS-39/52 probably would be better given the timeframe though, as I don't think the SPS-48 came along until the mid/late 80's, which is after these were built.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 9:40 pm
Zephyr wrote:
Ah. Yeah, I apparently misread. I thought he had implied "and" instead of "in place of". Thats what I get for just doing a quickread. D'oh.
I think the SPS-39/52 probably would be better given the timeframe though, as I don't think the SPS-48 came along until the mid/late 80's, which is after these were built.
SPS-48 comes around in the 70s. The SPS-48E, which was a part of the New Threat Upgrade (NTU) was very nearly an all new radar. To that end, I could see the Group 2 getting SPS-40 and SPS-48, and the Group 3 getting the SPS-49 and the SPS-48E, with earlier ships getting backfit as funds allow.

I am sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.

As another point, the AAW ships might be better off with SPG-51s in place of one and in addition to the SPG-60s (2-3 SPG-51s and a single SPG-60). This will allow for longer range engagements against smaller targets. Remember, the California Class (designed as AAW ships) had 4 SPG-51s and an SPG-60 while the Virginia class had 2 SPG-51s and a single SPG-60. The Kidd class, which was considered as a lighter AAW ship with a relatively strong ASW secondary focus mounted the same electronics as the Virginias.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 10:58 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
SPS-48 comes around in the 70s. The SPS-48E, which was a part of the New Threat Upgrade (NTU) was very nearly an all new radar. To that end, I could see the Group 2 getting SPS-40 and SPS-48, and the Group 3 getting the SPS-49 and the SPS-48E, with earlier ships getting backfit as funds allow.
Do you have a link with the dates various radars were brought online? Everytime I try and look one up, I seem to find lots of info, but they rarely mention years.

TimothyC wrote:
I am sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.
No worries. My wife was pushing me out the door so we could go to the grocery store, so I didn't give as good a read as I could have otherwise.

TimothyC wrote:
As another point, the AAW ships might be better off with SPG-51s in place of one and in addition to the SPG-60s (2-3 SPG-51s and a single SPG-60). This will allow for longer range engagements against smaller targets. Remember, the California Class (designed as AAW ships) had 4 SPG-51s and an SPG-60 while the Virginia class had 2 SPG-51s and a single SPG-60. The Kidd class, which was considered as a lighter AAW ship with a relatively strong ASW secondary focus mounted the same electronics as the Virginias.
I'll have to rearrange some things, but thats not a bad idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
orihara
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 20th, 2012, 11:52 pm
As far as the Group 3 (and possibly the group 2) destroyers go, room can probably be found by moving the Phalanx aft to the NSSM launcher position, and sticking the mast for the 3D radar immediately aft of the stack. This will provide better fields of fire for the Phalanx, provide a fairly decent location for the radar, and possibly give you room to fit another missile director in. You do, admittedly, lose the NSSM launcher, but at least with the group 3, you can fit that into the Mk41. Alternatively, you may be able to fit it onto the fantail, but that's probably a less than stellar location.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 72 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 170 71 72 73 74137 »

Jump to: