Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 29 of 43  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page « 127 28 29 30 3143 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 16th, 2012, 5:34 am
I gotta go with Ace on this one. IQ =/= ability to draw SB style ships. I know any number of folks with very high IQ's who could not draw an SB ship to save their lives.

Now, I wholeheartedly agree with pointing out some of the sillier things that some have drawn, but to gratuitously insult them and predetermine they must be in a vegetative state because they don't know the finer points of ship design? That is crossing the line, in my opinion.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 16th, 2012, 7:08 am
Agreed. We have to be careful here, of becoming the very thing we presume to deride. As to IQ, my late brother in law was priviliged to work with Stephen Wiltshire (Google him) as his teacher between 1979 and 1987 when he was not recognised, and though undoutably a genius he is also autistic.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 16th, 2012, 7:17 am
Exactly as Ace, Zephyr and PB said, my brother is (to be modest) quite smart (IQ probably 140+?) and he once tried his hand at SB, needless to say he couldn't do it (it was awful, an utter abomination), Inutoland's drawings may lack some things but his enthusiasm is enviable! Its practice not IQ that determines a drawing.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 16th, 2012, 4:19 pm
The thing that bothers me the most about the NS crowd is not the lack of knowledge for how ships are drawn but rather the attitude that our site serves as a Lego bucket for them to use at their will, and crediting and contributing is always secondary.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 16th, 2012, 4:44 pm
I sent an invite to someone I knew from high school who serves/served (looks like it's past-tense at this point) in the Navy, so I'm curious what the opinion will be of these monstrosities :P (though I'm honestly expecting the invite to be declined)

Speaking of which....
Zephyr wrote:
I gotta go with Ace on this one. IQ =/= ability to draw SB style ships. I know any number of folks with very high IQ's who could not draw an SB ship to save their lives.
Said acquaintance of mine probably wouldn't be able to draw accurate ships despite having served on a Flight IIA Burke for some two to three years (and I should add, went to Annapolis on a scholarship). Like I said, there's an element of training involved too. Your engineers are going to have the training, that's what they go to university and ultimately get paid to do - otherwise it's a matter of being self-taught. All of my training, for example, is a combination of self-taught and leveraging off of engineering principles from an entirely different field of study...that I kinda-sorta dropped out of from college, to boot. Which means that there are probably a lot of things crappy about my high-end ships too that I'm unaware of. My brother is a lowly civilian electrical engineer, and his drawings would probably suck too because once again he lacks the training needed to understand specifically naval engineering (and he doesn't give a damn about ships anyway). Now there are people extremely qualified in naval engineering on this board - RP1 has publically provided the credentials in that area, for starters, so I'd PM him on legitimate engineering questions (of course for the very reason of his engineering skills, he's a bit busy).

I don't know how else I can emphasize the importance and difference between intelligence and knowledge and especially training. In one of his earlier books Mark Twain actually had a great quote: "The difference between a turnip and a truffle is a matter of training. Cauliflower is merely cabbage with a college education." (an aside/fun fact: Mark Twain actually invents the concept of fingerprint forensics in this very same book) Yes, I'm more than well aware of Einstein's quote "imagination is more important than knowledge." In my current field of study and work, it's something I emphasize on a daily basis. But when it comes to engineering principles, you can't do jack-squat without at least some training."

Let it be known that Shipbucket is a great training tool for self-starters, though.
Quote:
Now, I wholeheartedly agree with pointing out some of the sillier things that some have drawn, but to gratuitously insult them and predetermine they must be in a vegetative state because they don't know the finer points of ship design? That is crossing the line, in my opinion.
That's true, and see above.

...on the other hand there are some drawings that suggest that they've never even stared at a picture of an actual warship. On the gripping hand however, other drawings highly suggest a very deliberate and carefully-laid sci-fi aesthetic. Those drawings actually suggest a very high degree of skill and understanding for what they are. (also an extra cookie for anybody who gets the sci-fi reference I snuck in there)
Colosseum wrote:
The thing that bothers me the most about the NS crowd is not the lack of knowledge for how ships are drawn but rather the attitude that our site serves as a Lego bucket for them to use at their will, and crediting and contributing is always secondary.
I think at this point it's just going to be a fact of life we're going to have to deal with. A lot of people who are on here are aware of Shipbucket primarily through NS - hell, I'm one of them.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 18th, 2012, 6:46 am
Hippo's posts and requests for help being moved to here.

Why? Because I can, and the act of asking for help gets him out of this thread.

Hippo - This is not a punishment - I am doing this because you want to improve. I like that.

-TimothyC

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 26th, 2012, 1:05 am
http://bagera3005.deviantart.com/art/US ... 0#comments
I like reading some of the comments on this one.
Quote:
Excellent ship, the bow looks a lot like the bow of an Arleigh Burke-class DDG.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 26th, 2012, 8:34 am
He got banned for, well, being an idiot who wouldn't follow directions.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 26th, 2012, 9:50 am
you get the funniest things when you compare his stuff with how it should actually be :P
I mean : http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/ ... ra3005.png
or
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... t%203C.png
xD
he actually banned me from commenting on his deviantart because I tried to correct the flaws of his designs xD for example that he put all the azipods the wrong way around, after which he commented that 'they are like that on shipbucket' xD

[Profile] [Quote]
Raven
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: May 28th, 2012, 6:19 am
Bagheera aka Kightkat aka Paul Brown, he does have talent, but ADD is an issue.

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 29 of 43  [ 428 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 127 28 29 30 3143 »

Jump to: