Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 68 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 166 67 68 69 70137 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 1:18 pm
Just curious about something then. This hull is 50' longer than the UK Type 42 and they managed to fit a twin Sea Dart launcher on the forecastle and a 4.5" turret, all on a forecastle only 15' longer. Also, my freeboard there is 27', the Type 42 has only about 19'. I understand that the Type 42's had a reputation for being cramped, but by having only the missiles on the bow section that would seem to solve the cramping problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 1:44 pm
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
I think Mk 26 Mod 0 should be the max on this hull.
sorry to say it this harsh, but....... shut up when you don't know what you are talking about. the mod 0 is exactly the same size as the mod 1 and 2, apart from the length. and while length wise it is out of the question to fit an mod 1 or 2.... the problem why the mod 0 would not fit as well is beam. in the bow, the sides of the ship are sloped inwards, which makes the beam at the waterline (at that point much) smaller then that at the deck. so even when it looks like it could fit on an top view, inside this is not true. or in other words: I don't think it will fit at all.
Zephyr wrote:
Just curious about something then. This hull is 50' longer than the UK Type 42 and they managed to fit a twin Sea Dart launcher on the forecastle and a 4.5" turret, all on a forecastle only 15' longer. Also, my freeboard there is 27', the Type 42 has only about 19'. I understand that the Type 42's had a reputation for being cramped, but by having only the missiles on the bow section that would seem to solve the cramping problem.
depends on the internals of the launcher, which are unknown to me. it seems to be somewhere between mk 13 and mk 26 in size.... but I am not certain.
the launcher not fitting were you put it is described above.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 2:53 pm
well, this isn't the design anyhow, just a mash-up of parts to give me an idea, and to bring out ideas.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 6:36 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
the problem why the mod 0 would not fit as well is beam. in the bow, the sides of the ship are sloped inwards, which makes the beam at the waterline (at that point much) smaller then that at the deck. so even when it looks like it could fit on an top view, inside this is not true. or in other words: I don't think it will fit at all.
How about this then, swap places with the aft turret? Put the turret forward and the Mk.26 aft? Does that sound reasonable?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Another issue that strikes me is that it would look like wash would be a problem for that launcher. Remember, the Type 42 Batch II's had a lengthened fo'c'sle.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 6:56 pm
It was Batch III I believe that added the length. The mash-up I've got is about the same length as the Batch III ships I believe. I would rather do something like cutting back the size of the deckhouse, giving more space that way. Nothing is carved in stone on this as yet. I just slapped some things together to get some ideas flowing so I could give a good start in ernest for this class. Shortening the deckhouse would actually be my preferred option because for some reason I just really like the look of the Type 42 Batch III's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 7:10 pm
maybe something along these lines, or similar?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Slide that sonar forward of the Mk 26 (so the internals don't interfere with the machinery spaces or the magazine spaces) and I think that's a good layout.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 7:45 pm
Been so involved with the above the waterline stuff I didn't even think about the below the waterline gear. :lol:

Thats an easy fix.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 17th, 2012, 8:36 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Slide that sonar forward of the Mk 26 (so the internals don't interfere with the machinery spaces or the magazine spaces) and I think that's a good layout.
Something like this, then?

[ img ]

If this layout is now workable, then I can actually start working on the superstructure, give it my own twists, so it isn't just a Perryclone or Yorkclone.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 68 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 166 67 68 69 70137 »

Jump to: