Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 64 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 162 63 64 65 66137 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 6:38 am
Thought I might try a modern DDG this time around.

[ img ]

Last edited by Zephyr on May 12th, 2012, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Hum looks like a nice draw Zephyr

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 3:11 pm
Where is the elan?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Well, that navigation radar is in an excellent position if the bridge officer wants to keep his coffee warm, but that's also the only good thing about it. Instead you should take the sixties era SPS-21 on the foremast and toss it as far away you can and put the modern nav set in its stead.
Since you've decided to cash out and by the full sized SPY-1 set you might as well use it, so toss the SPG-60ies as well. This should also make it possible to fit one more SPG-62. This is a good thing since there's no such thing as too many control links.
You might want to look at a more current surface search radar while you're at it, but whatever you do please place it over the center of the mast where it has a chance to support it. Sponsoon the crap out of the TACAN mast if you have to.
Anti ship missiles use rocket boosters when they launch. Rockets produce a whole lot of flames when they fire. Boats, wooden or otherwise, do not like fire of any sort.
You'll probably want to widen the the forward superstructure so you can mount the aft SPY-1 panels further apart. That way you can minimize your aft blind-spot.
There seems to be some sort of temporal disconnect between the front and the aft half of the ship. The front looks like it has been designed around the same time as the Arleigh Burke class where as the rear looks like it was designed before the Spruance.
APDAF wrote:
Where is the elan?
Witty comments are reserved for people who can design ships that don't look like office buildings or 70ies low-rent housing

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 3:46 pm
Thiel, I can always count on you be specific and to the point! :D Thanks, I really do appreciate it! I'll look at making those changes. Not sure what to do about the stern area though.

As for the unfortunate location of the boat, yeah, I kinda noticed that myself. :oops: Sadly, it was after the fact.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 3:48 pm
APDAF wrote:
Where is the elan?
:roll:
The "elan" is from the feeling of victory the crew gets after blowing the crap out of our enemies. That good enough for you?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 6:32 pm
It's a nice drawing with one hell of a bow but there is something aesthetically displeasing with it from my standpoint. Maybe your VLS would benefit from the addition of ESSM or a similarly shorter ranged missile? Also, perhaps include a couple of medium calibre crew served weapons, 20/25/30mm jobbies somewhere aft of the launches?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 6:46 pm
It's like Thiel copied and pasted from my brain.

A few other things:
  • The aft lattice mast looks a bit skimpy to support SPS-49.
  • The SPY-1 deckhouse should be much wider... probably the full beam, in fact. You want the after faces to be able to see dead aft, and right now I suspect they could not.
  • A SSM launch will annihilate your boats. This is non-ideal.
  • You're using an outdated satcom 'dog dish'. Likewise the rubber sonar dome. Please use the current ones.
  • Your Phalanx mounts do not have space to elevate!
  • Your fin stabilizers are very likely to interfere with your shafts. They should probably be forward of your forward main machinery space.
  • The rudder looks... weird.
  • Several spaces forward are unpainted (eg under the VLS).
  • You don't seem to have enough beam for your aft configuration. Stacking up a two-helo hangar (at least 30' wide), probably at least six feet on either side of it on the flight deck level, and then a boat-width on each side on the next level down (probably at least 12'), and we're up to 66'.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 7:27 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
It's a nice drawing with one hell of a bow but there is something aesthetically displeasing with it from my standpoint. Maybe your VLS would benefit from the addition of ESSM or a similarly shorter ranged missile? Also, perhaps include a couple of medium calibre crew served weapons, 20/25/30mm jobbies somewhere aft of the launches?
ESSM - 2004
Kasten Class - 1991

I know sometimes I fudge a year or two, but 14 years may be pushing it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: May 12th, 2012, 8:57 pm
erik_t wrote:
It's like Thiel copied and pasted from my brain.

A few other things:
  • The aft lattice mast looks a bit skimpy to support SPS-49.
  • The SPY-1 deckhouse should be much wider... probably the full beam, in fact. You want the after faces to be able to see dead aft, and right now I suspect they could not.
  • A SSM launch will annihilate your boats. This is non-ideal.
  • You're using an outdated satcom 'dog dish'. Likewise the rubber sonar dome. Please use the current ones.
  • Your Phalanx mounts do not have space to elevate!
  • Your fin stabilizers are very likely to interfere with your shafts. They should probably be forward of your forward main machinery space.
  • The rudder looks... weird.
  • Several spaces forward are unpainted (eg under the VLS).
  • You don't seem to have enough beam for your aft configuration. Stacking up a two-helo hangar (at least 30' wide), probably at least six feet on either side of it on the flight deck level, and then a boat-width on each side on the next level down (probably at least 12'), and we're up to 66'.
lattice mast - Its the same one as on my Mars class cruisers, but I can make changes to it.

Widen the SPY-1 deckhouse. Not a major issue. That can be done.

Yeah, boats under rockets motors = bad. Fix underway for that.

Satcom - outdated - drawing or the satcom itself? As for the sonar, I thought the "rubber" was what was in use during the 80's and 90's?

Phalanx unable to elevate - not sure what you mean on that one, it looks like the barrels are clear to me ... :?

Fin stabilizer - I just went with the location used on the Darings. It was an afterthought. I can move it or lose it, don't matter much to me. ;)

Odd rudder - easy fix

Hanger and landing pad have already been widened to full hull width. I'm just waiting to finish my other fixes before posting it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 64 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 162 63 64 65 66137 »

Jump to: