Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 721 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 27th, 2010, 8:42 pm
:lol: This has made my day :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 28th, 2010, 2:05 am
Yeah it's like he put about as much thought into his nation's history as most people in NationStates do their capital ship designs :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 28th, 2010, 6:25 am
Har har.... Droll, very droll. The idea was the island has been a refuge for those seeking refuge or asylum from persecution or since its founding, first with refugees from the Thirty Years War, then French Protestants, later on surviviors of the Japanese Occupation of the NEI, and then finally those displaced by changes in African politics. It does not mean an island of vikingesque neo-nazis. Firstly, I wanted a bit of Europe transferred to the Indian ocean, that would stay european, then I had to come up with some rationale of the nation surviving as an absolute monarchy this late in the age, and ask myself, what sorts of people would back that govenment. Lastly, I wanted there to be some racial tension with the surrounding noneuropean nations, but it is not by any means a dominant trait of the country.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 28th, 2010, 6:36 am
[ img ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is one possible scheme I went with. Still likely have some fidgitity bits to add, but I wanted to get this posted. I should have taken care of most of the problems mentioned in the above posts. The DARDO on the stern is the Type B, non deck piercing model. (Can one ever have too many?) :lol:

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 28th, 2010, 7:00 am
Certainly very interesting. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 28th, 2010, 9:11 am
only one comment: I hope this ship has another powerplant then the (original?) steam engine. if there was an steam engine on board, the smoke from the funnel would make the SMART-L useless. other then that: WELL DONE, it looks great!

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 28th, 2010, 11:20 pm
The ships were laid down in Italy, in 1976, with the first vessel completed in 1980, and commissioned into service in 1982. They all use gas turbine engines. I had originally thought to have them as nuke boats, but the timeline for that isn't correct. I'm still not sure about some of the features, namely the control tower still looks a bit off, though I wanted to update it from its WWII state, as it, the main gun turrets, and the ship's bell are the only parts from the original vessels, except the third one, which was built from the turrets of the uncompleted Hawaii.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 29th, 2010, 1:00 am
Then your engines need more air both on intakes and exhaust.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 29th, 2010, 1:11 am
So, add another stack? What would the air intakes look like?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 29th, 2010, 1:42 am
Gas Turbines are depot level repair items, and as a result you need to be able to pull them out, that means that you need a big series of stacks, that double as both turbine access and air flow. For examples, look at any of the modern APAR and AEGIS ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 721 »

Jump to: