Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 12  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 6:11 pm
Question. What's with the overly long hull?

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 6:14 pm
Against jets, no, the 20 mils would be pretty much useless. The US Navy phased out the 20mm and 40mm immediately after WW2 and replaced them with 3inch guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 6:14 pm
Look at CA-139 in the archive and the most recently updated Iowas for a general idea. Colo has also done some examples of late-war radar fits in the USN parts thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
KES Paige captain
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:23 pm
except, as u can see, the KES Graceling is equiped with two turrets of three railguns. thses guns are able to lob a shell 45 miles accurately. is there a rangefinder and RADAR like that? i will look

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:27 pm
KES Paige captain wrote:
except, as u can see, the KES Graceling is equiped with two turrets of three railguns. thses guns are able to lob a shell 45 miles accurately. is there a rangefinder and RADAR like that? i will look
So it's a ship with WWII weapons... and railguns?

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:27 pm
If that's the case, why is it equipped with WW2-era 5inch turrets and 20mm Oerlikons? If the country or organization that supposedly built it has access to that kind of technology, why would it use 1940's era equipment?

[Profile] [Quote]
gordo8000
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:29 pm
Pardon me, but aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Your ships so confusing!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:35 pm
KES Paige captain wrote:
except, as u can see, the KES Graceling is equipped with two turrets of three railguns. These guns are able to lob a shell 45 miles accurately. is there a rangefinder and RADAR like that? i will look
No. You are firing over the radar horizon. To get a radar that can spot a 15m high target ~83km (~45n.m) away requires a radar that is ~266m off of the surface. To put that into perspective, Think about the Eiffel Tower. This is why targeting tends to be offloaded from the launch platform.

Also, you've got equipment on there from way, way to many eras. A modern ship with rail guns isn't going to mount 5"/38s.

[Profile] [Quote]
KES Paige captain
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:38 pm
yeah, i know. i just started so help me. btw, would the radars and rangefinders from this ship work? and if you had a Rangefinder strapped to a small RC blimb tied to a cable, could u see over the horizon?

Last edited by KES Paige captain on April 10th, 2012, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
KES Paige captain
Post subject: Re: long range rangefinders and RADARPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:40 pm
and i guess the railguns in my AU where invented early, but i will try to replace the 5"s. what guns should i use, for AA and secondary batteries?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 12  [ 117 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 512 »

Jump to: