Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 521 »
Finfan
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 25th, 2010, 3:27 pm
SpamBot 454 wrote:
Quote:
I'm quite impressed by your map. How did you draw it? (And can you add a scale? )
Thank you. I didn't exactly draw the map, (having no real artistic skill) rather I took an existing map of the Falklands, erased all the names, pixel edited the contours back, joined the islands together, adding a few features of my own, then named all the cities, and expanded the roads a bit. I haven't added a scale just yet, as I haven't determined the final size.
Although the editing is good, I find that making a simple mspaint map is nicer than using an RL one, as people seem to immediately associate it with that place, and with a lack of originality. At least you chose an out of the way archipelago that some might not recognize and not something really obvious like Italy or something.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 25th, 2010, 4:04 pm
It was still hours and hours of work, especially reconstructing the contours after erasing the names. I could have created an original, in fact, I have created maps, but It wouldn't have looked as good. I think there are plenty of out of the way places that can make interesting nations, if rearranged a bit. Some of my favorites are those northern Canadian islands, Like Baffin and Prince Edward Island. They are big, however, so they show up on even a casual glimpse of the globe, so would require heavy editing to properly break up their outline, so as not to be immediately recongnizable. So far, not many have been able to immediately peg the place as the Falklands, because I joined the islands together.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 25th, 2010, 7:51 pm
I figured it was the Falklands, but either way your edit of it looks fine. There was a guy on WikiStates who just stole the geography whole and used it for his nation. Pretty cheesy I think.

I like the way you joined the two main islands together.

PS, as much as it pains me to say it, I don't think the Alaskas would be serviceable in 2010. I remember having a lengthy debate about it on the #draftroom IRC channel, which basically ended with me retiring North Point's Alaskas in the mid-1970s.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 25th, 2010, 10:02 pm
I'm not sure why they wouldn't be servicable, as vessels like the Salem class could still be active. They saw very little use between 1945 and 1960. In the altered history, they both recieved a pretty lavish refit 1960-1963, aimed at extending their lives. Unlesss there was some glaring structural defect, they should stay in use as long as someone is willing to spend the money to keep them that way. Assuming this is the case, however, does raise the interesting possibility of Vanguarding them, building a new vessel around the old turrets. It would only be a minor POD to say that there were actually spare turrets for Hawaii which were purchased along with the Alaskas. For the actual fighting cability possessed by such vessels, the expendature would not be worth it, though they could certainly have their uses, but the true value is as national symbols of power and prestigue in the national conscience. Most of the nations in that region aren't the most advanced, and I think would equate the value of a large vessel like that as being much higher, and hold the operating nation in a certain respect. Also, such visually impressive beasts tend to reassure the public; I think there were actually congressional hearings over the Spruance Class DDGs because they looked so outwardly unimpressive.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 25th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Why spend all the money refitting and upgrading them over the years when you can just buy new ships at a fraction of the cost?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 25th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Why spend all the money refitting and upgrading them over the years when you can just buy new ships at a fraction of the cost?
Because they're cool :D .

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 25th, 2010, 11:22 pm
I've been exploring the idea of Vanguarding them a bit further. The only period hull I could find that fit them really well was a Kirov Class, and when I did a quick drop study of placing the Alaska superstructure on the Kirov hull, the result wasn't too bad. That said, I think what would happen after the class started to show its wear in the late 70s would be to contract an American yard to simply build a new hull based on the old one, with upgraded systems. Will keep fiddling with it to see where it leads....

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 26th, 2010, 3:02 am
[ img ]

Last edited by Obsydian Shade on October 26th, 2010, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 26th, 2010, 4:30 am
You are going to need a search radar to complement the APAR, it's not a stand-alone radar ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: October 26th, 2010, 6:52 am
[ img ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hopefully, this corrects the problem. Thanks for pointing out that particuliar design flaw.

the Cybele Klasse, which are to become the largest class of vessels in the RZM, with 6 in service, and another 9 planned, where they will finally replace all units of the Adriane Klass currently in service. The basis for the design is the European FREMM, but Pallamara's insistance on American weapons systems, meant using the same APAR radar as on the German Saschen and Dutch De Zeven Provincian Klasse frigates, with the missile armament is carried in a modified 48 cell Mk 41 VLS.

From the very beginning, the programme ran into both politcal and technical difficulties. The FREMMS were intended by the French to be a cheap vehicle for the expensive Aster 15/30, and Pallamara's insistance on American weapons caused considerable opposition on the grounds that if other nations could both purchase the relatively cheap frigates, and then equip them with less expensive American systems, then it might endanger the entire program. It was only with Italian backing that the French were pursuaded to accept Pallamaran participation in the program. At that point the technical difficulties came to light. Originally, it had been planned to fit the APAR in place of the normal radar found on the French and Italian boats, and while this was done with relatively little change of design, the APAR was not a stand alone system and required another search radar, which the frigates weren't intended to be fitted with, meaning the design had to be considerably modified, adding both time and expense to the system. Despite the considerable cost overruns due to the more comprehensive systems fit, the vessels are extremely capable, almost as much so as the larger Athene Klasse DDGs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 521 »

Jump to: