Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 32 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 130 31 32 33 34137 »
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:16 am
Zephyr wrote:
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
Hmm, the funnel looks like a tight squeeze. Maybe one larger funnel will be better. Three Phalanxes? That is somehow overkill IMO.
Earlier versions had a single funnel. It looked weird, blocky and like a 20 pount turkey on a salad plate. After much discussion, the "two funnel" alternative was deemed more appropriate.

As for the 3 phalanxes... I wanted 2 initially, 1 forward and 1 aft, but there was no good place for the forward phalanx that I could see, so I opted for 1 aft and 2 forward, one on each side of the superstructure. If you can come up with a better forward location, I will give it all due consideration. Seriously.
You can have one on left side and one of right side. And for the funnel, a little more space between will certainly be nice. It'll also be a good place for the SSM.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:24 am
The majority of the ships, starting with group 2B, carry their SSM as part of their VLS loadout.

By one on the left and one on the right, I'm assuming that your suggestion in for port and starboard midships locations for the phalanxes? If thats what you mean, then that could solve any potential interference between the SPY-1 and Phalanx electronics? The only thing about location that I would have concerns about would be fore and aft coverage. Right now with the 3 of them I seem to have a pretty good 360 coverage of fire.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:26 am
You could do like the Royal Navy has done on the Darings and put them on sponsoons.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:31 am
Thiel wrote:
You could do like the Royal Navy has done on the Darings and put them on sponsoons.
I love the look of sponsons. It just seems that everytime here I've put them on a ship I've been called down for them. :cry: I may give that a try though.

(Still looking for commentary and suggestions on the electronics gear though...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:42 am
The key is to carry them up high away from the sea, only mounting weapons that doesn't have deck penetration and making them big enough that the crews can work the weapons. Since the Phalanx has no deck penetration and is fully automated it's the perfect candidate.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 6:00 pm
ok, it is now once again time for our favorite weekend passtime! Begging for Help! YAY!

But seriously, folks, could use a wee bit of advise here. I'm still trying to get used to the "choice and placement of radar and other electronics" concept. I'm getting better, I think. I can tell an air search radar from a gun control radar 5 times out of 8 now.

Background of this class... Developed in the mid-30's as a standard 6 inch light cruiser, several of them commissioned between 1937-42. In 1939 it was decided by the Admiralty that there was a need for some dedicated A/A ships to protect carrier groups, so they decided, in order to save money and design time, to use the same basic hull upperworks of the 6 inch cruisers, replacing the 6 inch guns and single 5 inch secondaries with the 5.25 DP turrets. It shouldn't be much of a problem, I wouldn't think, as this hull is nearly the same size as the Clevelands, and they had 4 x 6 inch turrets + 6 x 5 inch turrets. This has 10 x 5.25". (I'm also working on the 6 inch cruisers too, but I'm going at this backwards, apparently) There were 8 of these A/A cruisers commissioned between 1941-44.

So, what I need is some advise on placement of the various directors and radars, perhaps point out alternate, or better, choices. I'm not asking anybody to design this for me, just advise. As for the current beginnings of a tripod mast that is already on there? Wouldn't hurt my feelings one darn bit if I am told it looks like crap and to lose it. I'm not very happy with how it is turning out so far.

[ img ]

(and yes, it is essentially an Atlanta, sized like a Cleveland, with Dido main guns.)

Last edited by Zephyr on March 3rd, 2012, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 6:04 pm
first of all, you lack draft. maybe a little more freeboard wouldn't hurt too.... but other then that it looks quite solid. this is not really the time era I know a lot off, so apart from the basic outlines of the hull I have to leave it to more knowledgeable members.....
oow btw, watch out underneath the bridge, that deck looks quite cramped :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 6:11 pm
more draft and freeboard? Hmm. Kinda funny, because just just this morning, prior to doing this post, I lowered the freeboard and cut the draft back some because I thought it looked too big. LOL
Quote:
watch out underneath the bridge, that deck looks quite cramped
midget crewmen? :? Yeah, I see your point. This is pretty much just a rough draft so far, so any suggestions will be taken seriously. or as serious as I can get. which according to the wife, isn't very.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 6:23 pm
This was the original freeboard and draught, on this rough version of the 6 inch class

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 4th, 2012, 5:25 am
a little more done...

[ img ]

still looking for some suggestions/ideas on radar stuff, and how to make the mast a little less bare looking. Also, should I add a few more HA directors? Just 2 for 10 turrets doesn't seem like enough.

Last edited by Zephyr on March 4th, 2012, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 32 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 130 31 32 33 34137 »

Jump to: