Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 31 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 129 30 31 32 33137 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Thiel wrote:
I'm not sure they're big enough to be 6 inchers. They look to be about two thirds the size of the guns on the Tiger Class.
Yeah, I was discussing that last night and now have somewhat enlarged turrets for them. Another thing, though, is that while they may be smaller than the Tiger class twin turrets, they are about the same size as the triple 6-inchers on the Tre Kroner Class, which is the class I will most likely be using them on. I plan on doing a few modifications of my own to that class because I really like the design. Heck, I've already done a couple mods to it here and here.

and a comparison of various 6 inchers
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 6:35 am
Have all variations of the Mars Class here, groups 1, 2 and 3. These are "as built" pics, so the timeframe is important. By that, I mean, if you spot any discrepencies in radars or other electronics, i.e. newer sets which would be more appropriate than what I have on there please let me know. Hopefully, I'll even understand what you said. :lol:

So, here goes nuthin'
The year in (xxxx) is the commissioning date.

GROUP 1A
Mars (1980) {to North Justorica 2004}
Saturn (1981) {to New Kandor 1996, renamed Vancouver}
Athena (1981) {to Salish Confederacy 2001, renamed Kweyechun}
Artemis (1982) { to New Kandor 1996, renamed Ksanti}
Armament:
2 x Mark 26 twin arm launcher with SeaDragon Mk IV (RIM-66C) and SeaTiger (ASROC)
2 x 4.5" guns
4 x Tarantula (SAAB RB-08) Missiles (2 x 2)
2 x Moray TT (Mark 32 SVTT)
[ img ]

GROUP 1B
Heracles (1983) {to Amandaea 2002}
Diana (1984) {to New Kandor 1996, renamed Lowell Bay}
Armament:
2 x Mark 26 twin arm launcher with SeaDragon Mk IV (RIM-66C) and SeaTiger (ASROC)
2 x 4.5" guns
8 x Scorpion Mk III (SAAB RB-15 Mk 3) Missiles (4 x 2)
[ img ]

The Group 1A ships had their Tarantula launchers rmoved and replaced with Scorpion launchers in 1986-90. All 6 Group 1 ships were retired early and transferred to various Dominion navies owing to the lack of VLS on them. There has been some discussion of refitting them all with VLS systems, but it is currently being debated for cost effectiveness of doing this vs construction of newer cruisers.

GROUP 2A
Minerva (1984)
Juno (1985)
Hermes (1985)
Vesta (1986)
Armament:
2 x 61-cell Mark 41 VLS with SeaDragon Mk IV (RIM-66C), SeaTiger (ASROC) and Tsunami (Tomahawk)
2 x 4.5" guns
8 x Scorpion Mk III (SAAB RB-15 Mk 3) Missiles (4 x 2)
[ img ]

GROUP 2B
Group 2B had their seperate Scorpion launchers deleted from the design as the newer Scorpion Mk V VLS capable missile was available. They also had their VLS increased from 61-cell to 64-cell by the removal of the loading crane, which had proven itself rather useless in practice. 2B was the largest single group of the Mars Class.
Ceres (1986)
Doris (1987)
Orion (1987) (Renamed Paul Emil II - 2005)
Myrmidon (1988)
Cronus (1989)
Cassandra (1989)
Rhea (1990)
Diomede (1990)
Argonaut (1991)
Icarus (1991)
Tyr (1992)
Gwydion (1993)
Neptune (1993)
Agrona (1994)
Thor (1995)
Armament:
2 x 64-cell Mark 41 VLS with SeaDragon Mk IV (RIM-66C), SeaTiger (ASROC), Scorpion Mk V (SAAB RB-15) and Tsunami (Tomahawk)
2 x 4.5" guns
[ img ]

GROUP 2C
Group 2C is comprised of a single ship and is widely regarded as the transition between groups 2 and 3. Essentially the same to the 2B ships, the only difference being the flight deck was slightly lengthened by squaring off the end of the platform instead of having it angled inwards, and the aft mark 41 was moved further aft to accomodate this.
Tamesis (1995)
Armament same as Group 2B
[ img ]

GROUP 3
Group 3 ships were lengthened by 20 feet in the stern to accomodate the new turret in the X position. They were also the first to receive the new Mod 1 4.5" turret. Three further un-named cruisers were cancelled in 1998 prior to being laid down in favor of the next class of ship, the St Edward Class. They are, so far, the only ships to receive the twin 6" turrets.
Poseiden (1998)
Taliesen (1999)
Ares (2000)
Armament:
2 x 64-cell Mark 41 VLS with SeaDragon Mk IV (RIM-66C), SeaTiger (ASROC), Scorpion Mk V (SAAB RB-15) and Tsunami (Tomahawk)
1 x 4.5" gun
2 x 6" guns (2 x 1)
[ img ]

All Group 2 and 3 ships have, since 2003, had the Scorpion missiles replaced with the newer Viper (NSM) missile. Newer marks of the SeaDragon have also been loaded as they become avialable.

Last edited by Zephyr on February 28th, 2012, 2:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 6:45 am
Zephyr wrote:
Thiel wrote:
I'm not sure they're big enough to be 6 inchers. They look to be about two thirds the size of the guns on the Tiger Class.
Yeah, I was discussing that last night and now have somewhat enlarged turrets for them. Another thing, though, is that while they may be smaller than the Tiger class twin turrets, they are about the same size as the triple 6-inchers on the Tre Kroner Class, which is the class I will most likely be using them on. I plan on doing a few modifications of my own to that class because I really like the design. Heck, I've already done a couple mods to it here and here.

and a comparison of various 6 inchers
[ img ]
Here I'll let you consider some of my designs, if it helps:

[ img ]

Just be careful how you ship that 6-inch turret...it's not quite what it seems just from this side profile....

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 6:51 am
Thanks. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 7:34 am
another, more general, question. Is there a good formula to figure range, something besides the tried-n-true but wholly innacurate method of "pull a vaguely reasonable number from your backside"? And by "good formula" I mean something us mathematically challenged History majors can understand. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 8:12 am
no formula. it all depends on the displacement, the shape of the hull, the weather conditions, the speed, the engine systems, the fuel capacity, the efficiency..... of these the speed, engine systems, fuel efficiency and displacement are given or can be estimated for an design (if you do the design work right, you should be able to estimate at least a few of them.) with this you can take an look at ships with similar setup, and you can give an rough estimate with that. formula's exist, but those are based on other formula's (for example that of hull efficiency) so you would have designed an entire ship before you have everything you need for those calculations.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:13 am
Ah. Ok, I see ... I think.

(No comments on the Mars class? :cry: )

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:42 am
Hmm, the funnel looks like a tight squeeze. Maybe one larger funnel will be better. Three Phalanxes? That is somehow overkill IMO.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:49 am
The Phalanx's seem okay, I agree there seems a bit too much but I see two might, unless the positioning is altered, to be a bit lacking

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:04 am
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
Hmm, the funnel looks like a tight squeeze. Maybe one larger funnel will be better. Three Phalanxes? That is somehow overkill IMO.
Earlier versions had a single funnel. It looked weird, blocky and like a 20 pount turkey on a salad plate. After much discussion, the "two funnel" alternative was deemed more appropriate.

As for the 3 phalanxes... I wanted 2 initially, 1 forward and 1 aft, but there was no good place for the forward phalanx that I could see, so I opted for 1 aft and 2 forward, one on each side of the superstructure. If you can come up with a better forward location, I will give it all due consideration. Seriously.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 31 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 129 30 31 32 33137 »

Jump to: