Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 30 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 128 29 30 31 32137 »
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 3:42 am
Or put them above everything else in a sort of radar tophat like the Norwegians have done. :p

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 3:48 am
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
Or put them above everything else in a sort of radar tophat like the Norwegians have done. :p
ummm..... don't think so. ;) I like sleek and elegent. Of course, that may not be readily apparent with my ships, which seem to tend to be clumsy, ineffective, nearly "wikistates gems" quality and would probably have a difficult time besting the Royal Liechtenstein Navy..... :shock:

Honestly, I don't see their current location on the Mars I class as being all that disastrous. *shrug*

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 5:25 am
Off the topic of my latest attempt at a cruiser for a minute....

Would either of these 6 inch twins be appropriate for the 50's-60's time frame? I'm not going for anything specific to any real country, but trying to get something unique to Grays Harbor, more so for the left turret than the right one, obviously.
I was hoping that the left turret would be 50's-ish and the right turret 60's-ish? Maybe? Or have I once again missed the mile marker and gone off the main road?

[ img ]

The left one I just kinda made up. The right one is an somewhat enlarged version of the 3"/70 turret.

Feel free to ignore the "below decks" bits. I just tossed those on there to give myself an idea of placement on hulls. Unless of course they are wrong too, then let me know.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 5:41 am
I think the right turret looks 50's-ish and the left one looks 90's-ish.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 5:46 am
Really? Hnh. Well, it seems that not only was I off the main road, I was driving in the cornfield. :lol: Go figure. Ok, I can live with that. Would the right hand one be appropriate for a mid-60's ship though? (and yes, I'm starting work on a mid-60's cruiser soonish. I'm gradually working my way backwards.)

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 6:14 am
The left one - honestly I try to shy away from making aesthetic judgements based on time period because you can find all sorts of weird examples. But I don't see a lot of reason as to why it's shaped like that. Ultimately though it's just a style choice.

The right one - no because all you've done is enlarge the 3/70 turret by your own admission and especially for you that's just damn lazy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 6:19 am
klagldsf wrote:
The left one - honestly I try to shy away from making aesthetic judgements based on time period because you can find all sorts of weird examples. But I don't see a lot of reason as to why it's shaped like that. Ultimately though it's just a style choice.
Well, mostly because I'm trying to wean myself off the RN box shaped plain turrets used from th 30's up through the 50's and 60's. No real reason other than that, just for something different and recognizably Grays Harbor. For good or ill. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 6:20 am
I rather like the one on the left. If you don't use it, can I? It looks like a German equal to the 3"/70, and would fit perfectly with my ships.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 6:22 am
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
I rather like the one on the left. If you don't use it, can I? It looks like a German equal to the 3"/70, and would fit perfectly with my ships.
Well, you'd probably have to change the barrels to get it as a 3 inch, because both of the turrets have 6 inch guns. But sure, if you want to use it, go right ahead. :D I'll be using it too, but nobody ever said that two seperate navies can't have similar equipment. Either that or my armaments industry could get rich selling them to you... :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 25th, 2012, 1:41 pm
I'm not sure they're big enough to be 6 inchers. They look to be about two thirds the size of the guns on the Tiger Class.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 30 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 128 29 30 31 32137 »

Jump to: