Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23137 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 2:36 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
That front pom-pom / Bofors is going to be fun to crew...
yeah, thats one of the things I was thinking about. Its not without precedent though as both the Alaska and South Dakota classes had A/A guns in similar positions. That said, though, I may as yet move it. Perhaps just a bit further off the bow, or maybe raise the platform a hair, but move it nonetheless. Still "early days" on this design.

Of course, it would be nice if I got some feedback on that which I had asked about, which is about the hull vs superstructure ratio. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 2:38 pm
SrGopher wrote:
Armored cruiser post-WWI? I think large cruiser or battleship would be the better designation.
Not without precedent. Remember what the official designation of the Deutschlands was? "Panzershiff" i.e. "Armored Ship". Not cruiser. Not Battleship. Armored Ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Hnh. I believe I may have just succeeded in drawing perhaps the ugliest main mast in the history of battleship drawings.

[ img ]

Don't ask "Why is [insert radar type here] where it is?" or "Why did you use [insert radar type here]?" because my answer will be "I don't know." followed by a request to point out the correct type and a possible location. :lol: If you see something incorrect, dumb looking, inconceivable, or just downright WTF... just tell me what is a better solution. Please, posts which contain nothing more than "Thats wrong" are of absolutely zero help to me. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 8:26 pm
The hull might be a little bit too short to have four main turrets (Which I must say, look very nice with the banded colors on the barrels). That dip in the hull on the stern would also screw things up a little bit. I think it would be better to level the deck and just raise the other main turret up a little bit more. The hull would be a little bit weaker around that area with a dip. The only other major thing that I see is that there is a little too much sheer at the bow. Either raise the rest of the hull up a little bit or lower the bow down.

It is a very sharp-looking battleship!

And about the Matchless class looks nice! Although I think with that style ship, this would be the precedent for the Deutchland class instead of vice versa.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 6th, 2012, 8:40 pm
ok, lower the sheer.

I forgot to mention about the turret arrangement, not that it would make that much difference, is that its not 4 triples. The A and X turrets are triple, but the B and W superfiring turrets are only twins; a total of 10 guns, as a weight saving measure. Right now I have the length at 868 feet, about 20 feet shorter than the Iowas, so maybe a few more feet wouldn't go amiss.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 7th, 2012, 4:32 pm
try 2

moved the catapult aft. added some length, from 868' to 900'. relocated the fore and aft quad 40's to midships. added a pair of twin 20's aft. added a couple more boats. cut down the forward sheer.

armament (so far)
10 x 16"/50 (2 x 3, 2 x 2)
16 x 5.25" (8 x 2)
24 x 40mm (4 x 6)
28 x 20mm (2 x 2, 12 x 1)

probably need more 20mm, maybe some more 40mm as well?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 8th, 2012, 12:01 am
I doubt that you can squeeze one more sixteen inch turret within the space of ten feet compared to Iowa.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 8th, 2012, 12:29 am
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
I doubt that you can squeeze one more sixteen inch turret within the space of ten feet compared to Iowa.
He can, but he must the cut severely down on armor and engine. That means she will have a bad protection, and a low speed. that would be funny :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 8th, 2012, 5:15 am
heuhen wrote:
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
He can, but he must the cut severely down on armor and engine. That means she will have a bad protection, and a low speed. that would be funny :shock:
I believe I would have to disagree as there have been other 4 turret battleships which had good protection and good speed, the Bismarcks being an example of that. Another would be the started but cancelled South Dakota class (BB-49 through 54). They had 4 triple 16 inch turrets. Yes, they had a slow speed of 23 knots, but I have a considerable size advantage over them (900' to 684'). So, I don't believe this to be an unworkable design. *shrug* Not everything is the USS Iowa.

Also, I don't know if you saw where I posted they are not all triples. It is two triples and two twins superfiring.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 8th, 2012, 7:58 am
I like it. I might adjust the funnel detail (the detail on the front of the front funnel might turn with the rest of it), but I think she's got some good lines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 119 20 21 22 23137 »

Jump to: