Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 14 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1627 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 3:22 am
Peder Skram Class Destroyer
[ img ]
The first ship in the Peder Skram class, the D351 Peder Skram, was laid down in 1965 and commissioned into the RDN in 1967.
For the RDN they were a quantum leap in capability and technology. Amongst other things they introduced SAMs and aluminium construction to the RDN and they were the first major warships in the world to use CODOG propulsion.
Three units were built in all, the other two being the D352 Herluf Trolle and the D353 Ivar Huitfeldt.
Despite some teething problems the class proved out to be a success and they were well liked by their crews. They were less cramped compared to other ships in the RDN and like the post-war ??? class frigate they featured cafeteria style mess-rooms rather than the traditional sleep-eat-live style messes found on the older, mostly WWII surplus, units.
The first shot to be fired in anger by the class was done in 1969 by the Ivar Huitfeldt. The target was a French trawler that had been caught fishing in Danish territorial waters but refused to stop for inspection. In order to stop her the Ivar Huitfeldt first fired several warning shots with the 40mm, then proceeded to fire disabling shots at the steering gear. When that failed to produce results she fired a number of 120mm warning shots before finally placing a single 120mm shell round in the trawlers bow.

Armament:
  • 2 x 2 Bofors TAK120
    4 x 1 Bofors 40mm/70 M1948
    1 x Mk 13 GMLS with 40 Standard 1
    2 x 2 T61A Dual Mode torpedoes
[ img ]
In 1979 the class received a Mid-Life Upgrade.
Changes included:
  • B-gun replaced with Mk-19 Sea Sparrow Launcher
  • Two Contraves Denetzy directors replaced with SPS-65
  • An additional more capable Nav radar installed
  • Satcom installed
  • Denetzy was digitalized and other electronic upgraded
  • SRBOC installed amidships
  • Harpoon SSM
When the Iranians started shooting up tankers in the mid eighties it was decided that the RDN should deploy ships to the area to protect Danish shipping. As a result one Peder Skram class destroyer, a Town class frigate, Niels Juel corvette and two Fjord class minesweepers were deployed to the Persian Gulf in 1985. They were soon joined by Swedish and Norwegian ships and a Danish supply ship.
In November the same year things inevitably boiled over when the Herluf Trolle was attacked by an Iranian F-4 Phantom II. Luckily the Maverick missile malfunctioned and fell into the sea several hundred meters short of the ship. The F-4 escaped unscathed. Later that month she was attacked again, but this time the crew were ready and they managed to shoot down the F-4 before it could launch its missiles. Two months later in January 1986 Ivar Huitfeldt successfully shot down two J-6s that were trying to strafe the convoy. A week later she damaged a J-7. Three months later she engaged and sank three Boghammers with 120mm fire.
In July The Peder Skram shot down an F-5. Finally, in April 1987 the Peder Skram snak the IRIN Kooseh (Ex USS Trout) with a T61A torpedo.

[ img ]
Their experience in the Arabian Gulf had shown the RDN a number of shortcomings in the Peder Skram class. The 1988 Life Extension Upgrade sought to address them.
  • The 40mm/70 were replaced with 57mm/70 Mk 2 since they'd turned out to be incapable of engaging jets like the Phantom.
  • The Denetzy fire control system was replaced with the much more capable Rakel system.
  • New Nav radar
  • Improved SatCom
  • SVTT installed.
  • Upgraded electronics
In 1990 the Ivar Huitfeldt returned to the Persian Gulf again, this time to take part in Operation Desert Storm
In 1991 a ferry collided with the Herluf Trolle while it was moored to a buoy in Copenhagen Harbour. The damages were extensive enough that she was deemed beyond economical repair.

[ img ]
In 1992 the two remaining ships received their last upgrades.
  • SRBOC replaced with SeaGnat
  • Civilian SatCom installed so the crew could call home
  • Dual Stinger launchers installed on the empty 40mm platforms.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 11:19 am
I realise its an AU, but could you please go back in time Thiel, and persuade the Danish goverment to order this design?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 11:47 am
I wish I could. Unfortunately, neither the left, right or centrist political blocks at the time cared much about the military.

Anyway, there's still a few things I need to correct (Like actually replacing the SRBOC) but by and large I consider the class finished.
Next up is the Fjord class minesweeper and the Town class Frigate.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 2:10 pm
Nice work. Lovely drawings and a good backstory and some excellent modifications along the way.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 7:25 pm
Good design but I honestly question why you went with the Mk 110 (as we call it in the USN as equipped on LCS and Coast Guard cutters):

- it's a very poor anti-surface weapon lacking the surprising hull-punching power of the Mk 76 (plus, you have a 5-inch gun for that)
- it's still a very poor anti-aircraft weapon lacking any real engagement capability of SAMs, including ones more or less specifically designed to replace weapons like this, like Sea Sparrow (which you also have)
- it's claimed to have CIWS capability but I for one, in my barely-informed, unprofessional opinion, remain unconvinced. Besides there are 40mm systems and below that have a more proven CIWS capability while being lighter and have anti-small boat capability too.

It just seems like an odd choice given lighter alternatives. I see the Mk 110 as being a primary weapon system for littoral vessels where a high RoF for engaging small attack craft is the most important thing (hence why it's on the LCS).

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 9:04 pm
-The color of the Mk29 does not much with the colors of the ship's superstructure (in my computer).
-Mk110 would be more effective against aircrafts with AHED projectiles.But if you want CIWS use Phalanx.I do not know if my CIWS/SAM can be used also.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 10:34 pm
odysseus1980 wrote:
-Mk110 would be more effective against aircrafts with AHED projectiles.
Theoretically but if a plane gets that close in the first place you've ever started a major international incident or that pilot just deserves to get shot down.

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 14th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Interesting ships, I have a few comments:
The 57mm has ciws capability with (of course depending on FC) its high rate of fire (200rpm) and proximity fuze shells. In the 1980s refit I would give the ship a 9Lvm2 or i early 90s mk3 Fc system with a director for each gun.

Facts from Navweaps, It is a more, accurate, faster and more reliable gun than the 76 OTO Falera.

1. I doubt you can replace a 40mm with a 57mm because the 57mm is much heavier, has hoists down to the main magazine. I would replace the Seasparrow with 57mm gun with its own 9LVmk 2 FC, and keep the 40mm. It would not carry the mk110 or mk3 but the mk2 which is similar.

2. What kind of torpedo is the T61A - is it the Bofors type 61x? (613 inSsweden, 612 in Denmark, 617 in Norway?) It is a 21" weapon that weights about 1800kg and is 8m long, but I can just see lightwigt tubes?

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 15th, 2012, 1:58 pm
klagldsf wrote:
odysseus1980 wrote:
-Mk110 would be more effective against aircrafts with AHED projectiles.
Theoretically but if a plane gets that close in the first place you've ever started a major international incident or that pilot just deserves to get shot down.
Oops!These projectiles are from land-based AA guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 16th, 2012, 6:31 pm
[ img ]
I decided to do a basic topview to see how much space I had and as a result I had to make quite a few changes.
I've yet to decide on which CIWS I'll use, so consider the phalanx a stand-in.

Btw, does the 57mm Mk 2s shield need to slope backwards or is it just empty space?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 14 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1627 »

Jump to: