Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 4 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Dreadnaught
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 6th, 2010, 11:39 pm
I say break the USS New Jersey out of mothballs and start punching 16 inch (406mm for you metric folks) holes in its hull. lol

[Profile]
Finfan
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 12:17 am
Colosseum wrote:
What's the point of electronic countermeasures and chaff? The ship's already so big that you'd have to just accept missile hits anyway.
but perhaps you can confuse the missile and make it hit the cheap cabins rather than the first-class ones

[Profile]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 4:23 am
I copied several parts of the ship from my 'Super Fleet Command Ship', so at this moment it has way to much military stuff on board. Don't mention the gun, I'm still looking in what sort of armament she needs. Any suggestions?

114 lifeboats are ofcourse not enough, but in reality there are 228, as they are carried side by side. On board of all the lifeboats there is room for 13.680 people. But that's only because in case of emergency small parts of the ship have to be evacuated. In case of all out emergency every resque method is being put in (about 5.000 self-inflatable liferafts carrieng 250.000 people, 13.680 in lifeboats (important people) and the rest will be evacuated by airplane or other ships. But she is unsinkable, just like Titanic :lol:

Update:

Displacement: 57.400.485 (57 million) tons full load, 14.300.870 tons empty
Length: 1708.48 meters (5605 feet)
Beam: 230.78 meters (758 feet)
Height: 148.27 meters (487 feet) from waterline to the top of the control tower.
Draught: 36.52 meters (120 feet)
Decks: 41 on average
Installed power: 8 modified C7W nucleair reactors (each 2,963 MW) generating a total of 23,704 MW
Propulsion: TBD
Speed: 22 knots (reached after 2 hours of full power)
Capacity: Accomodation for 1.560.400 people, capable of housing another 500.000 one-day tourists.
Crew: The ship is not a cruiseship, most of the people on board are employed on the ship itself.
- 23.400 employed in propulsion, power, water maintenance
- 88.700 employed in general maintenance
- 43.000 employed in shops and stores
- 260.200 employed in schools, restaurants, bars etc.
- 135.500 employed in govermental jobs, police force, security etc.
- 745.385 employed in offices
- 20.500 employed in food production
- 4.670 employed in air groups
- 80.000 employed in entertainment
- 230.000 employed in various others.

Facilities (I could bring up so far):
- 620.000 appartments
- 25.000 luxery appartments
- 9 International hotels
- 840 companies
- 240 conference rooms
- 462 restaurants
- 78 bars
- 26 cinema's
- 12 theater's
- 28 museums
- 20 schools
- 49 supermarkets
- 6 super-size malls (over 1400 stores)
- 12 swimming pools
- 8 footballfields
- 20 gyms
- 2 natural parks

[Profile]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 5:58 am
I really, really want to know what the purpose of this ship is. Well...screw it, it can be whatever at this size.

Let's commission it as the world's first literal floating city.

[Profile]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 6:09 am
Well you should see it as this:

Most of the western world has become so full of people and living space has become so rare that people began started to look for alternatives. The Netherlands have always invisioned floating cities and combined with enough rich people this ship was designed.

It's just the very beginning of my fantasy on these kind of things.

[Profile]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 7:07 am
one little thing: an boeing 737 needs an MINIMAL runway of 1,5 km. that is with special short field equipment and with non-full load. I suggest you lenthen the aircraft deck, or do you have arrestor gear and catapults on board?
I suggest lenthening the flight deck from the bridge to the stern, and put the radars and masts on the control tower. you will need an larger tower then, but I think space is not the issue on this ship :D
btw, for defensive purposes, why not just put some military aircraft on board? orion patrol craft, maybe some jsf or gripen fighters...... more plausible then anti-ship guns on a ship that can't be missed when it's in gun range.

Last edited by acelanceloet on October 7th, 2010, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 7:58 am
I think about the structural stress. Not caused by usual storms, but a tsunamiwave could make it brake into pieces.

Now for a strange idea: how about making it submergible for 3/4?

[Profile]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 10:21 am
Having it submerged won't be very attractive to people who will eventually live there. People want to see the air and sea...
I'll have a look at the Airfield, maybe I just keep it's capabilities limited to prop-only, or will reconfigure the entire flight deck.

[Profile]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 11:27 am
[quote="Ashley"]I think about the structural stress. Not caused by usual storms, but a tsunamiwave could make it brake into pieces. [quote]
You don't need tsunamies to break this thing apart. The longtitudinal (sp?) compression and stretching is going to be enourmous. Despite being only a third or less the size, the big ULCCs from the seventies and eighties had severe problems with them, and many of them had restricted sailing patterns during the worse parts of the year.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Pushing shipbucket to the limits.Posted: October 7th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Even if we rape structural factors, the wind over the deck is going to be hellacious.

And it's never going to get close enough to anything to use those vehicle ramps.

I Christen thee, Physics Rapist! (and give it a -10 vs. Reality)

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 4 of 6  [ 59 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: