Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 13 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1527 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 11:22 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
I like it very much! Looks like old 'Skram' is ready to kick some serious a**! Very good placement of the retractable dome and nice re-sizing of it too! I'm suitably impressed, my friend!

Oh, and btw, she is not commanded by a Vice Admiral, right?!? Or does the Konglige Flåde possess that many supernumerary flag-officers? 8-) - What you meant to say is that she's the flagship of a taskforce, e.g. STANAVFORLANT, where a Vice Admiral could quite naturally be in command! Her commandant's title would be Orlogskaptajn, right?
You are, of course, correct. I've depicted her as the flagship of the Destroyer Squadron. The admiral commands the squadron, though outside the MTB squadron the ships rarely operate together. It's a bit odd, but it worked well enough during the Cold War.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 6th, 2012, 9:02 pm
Looks great, one of the best and most plausible AU versions of a real ship/ concept I've seen for a while.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 6th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Hood wrote:
Looks great, one of the best and most plausible AU versions of a real ship/ concept I've seen for a while.
Thank you. Especially since I pretty much pulled it out of my imagination.
bezobrazov wrote:
I like it very much! Looks like old 'Skram' is ready to kick some serious a**! Very good placement of the retractable dome and nice re-sizing of it too! I'm suitably impressed, my friend!
It seemed like the logical place to put it really. Further forward and you run into the gun magazines, and further forward the hull gets much too lively. Further aft and you run into the engineering spaces.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 6th, 2012, 9:26 pm
It does strike me as a Danish version of a Charles F. Adams which were very effective destroyers for their time and much less compromised-looking than the OTL-version. I'd imagine an MLU would include midship Harpoon and Sparrow in place of the B-turret but you've hinted that you've got your own updates in mind ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 6th, 2012, 10:23 pm
klagldsf wrote:
It does strike me as a Danish version of a Charles F. Adams which were very effective destroyers for their time and much less compromised-looking than the OTL-version. I'd imagine an MLU would include midship Harpoon and Sparrow in place of the B-turret but you've hinted that you've got your own updates in mind ;)
I do indeed, though I'm not entirely certain what they'll entail. Harpoon is obvious and easy, since it fits in the Mk. 13. Not sure about Sea Sparrow though. I expect to piggy-back on the NTU program, so by 1979 (When the real world Peder Skram received NSSM) I'll be shooting SM-2MR Block I (AFAIK it's compatible with the Mk 13.) so I'm not sure I'll fit Sea Sparrow at all.
Other upgrades will included replacing the depth charges with light-weight ASW torpedoes, probably Mark 46, replacing the small boats with RHIBs, upgrading the Denezy gunnery system (Automatic visual tracking, multi-spectrum cameras, fully digital computers etc.), fitting better decoys (The 103mm rockets never really worked) and a general upgrade in electronics. I'm also considering replacing two of the 40mm guns with some sort of CIWS. Sea Trinity perhaps?
Also, I'm not entirely sure how to fit Sea Sparrow. The launcher is simple enough, but where to put the directors?

Anyway, I'm currently planning on introducing the above changes in two upgrades. One in the late 70ies and the other in 86-88 or so.
The first one because that's when it happened historically and it give me the change to piggy back on the USNs NTU program and the second because I plan on making the Tanker Wars even more explosive than they were IRL and I plan on sticking one of my destroyers in the middle of it.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 6th, 2012, 10:26 pm
Awesome work indeed!!

[Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 6th, 2012, 10:47 pm
Sea Sparrow directors can pretty much be dropped-in place of the current light gun directors and there's more than enough space on top of the bridge to mount them too. It wasn't uncommon for Standard-equipped ships to have Sea Sparrow or be retrofitted with them (for example, the Italian Alsace class with a nearly identical layout swapped a 5-inch turret for Sea Sparrow). It acts as a layer of defense more or less below the minimum engagement range of Standard and well above the maximum engagement range of small-caliber guns and CIWS, even if the missile itself isn't particularly spectacular.

Sea Trinity is an option but I recommend using the Breda 40mm since it's literally the same weapon but IIRC is specifically designed to be compatible with multiple directors, i.e., for 5 inch guns or for Sea Sparrow. Sea Trinity might have a similar feature though. And if you're going to be replacing some of the 40mm weapons with them, you might as well replace all of them or scrap the two other mounts entirely. Sea Trinity/Breda-40 are modern 40mm weapons designed to take advantage of more modern, more sophisticated tracking gear so carrying around anything older at the same time is just carrying around obsolete junk and dead weight.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 6th, 2012, 11:46 pm
[ img ]
A quick mock-up of the 1979 MLU.
The B gun has been replaced by a Mk 29, and the two foremost Denetzy radars have been replaced by two SPS-65s. Right now they've just been dropped straight in, but I'll probably move one of them forward to give it a better field of view. The small boat have been replaced by a RHIB and she now ships Harpoons.
What we can't see is that the Denetzy has been upgraded with digital computers in order to compensate for the loss of two sets, since two guns will have to share the one dish.

The second upgrade will take place in 1988 takes advantage of British experience in the Falklands and the RDNs own experience from the Tanker War and will incorporate the following features
  • Removal of all 40mm guns. The two aft mounts will be replaced with Sea Trinity or Single Fast Forties
  • Depth-charges replaced with light-weight ASW torpedoes. Not quite sure how they'll be launched yet.
  • Upgraded sonar and electronics. Mostly on the processor side.
  • Streamlined Link 11 (16?) compatibility (The IRL Peder Skram class' Achilles heel. As built it was completely incompatible. The 1979 MLU introduced a rather unwieldy adaptor.)
  • Fitting of mortar based countermeasure launchers. Not sure which, it's too early for SeaGnat. When was SRBOC introduced to the USN?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 8th, 2012, 2:37 pm
Nice work Thiel!A very good,plausible ship for Denmark.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 8th, 2012, 3:33 pm
SRBOC began to be introduced into the USN, BM, RAN and RCN by 1977. The HMCS Terra Nova was test bed for the system, in fact!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 13 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 111 12 13 14 1527 »

Jump to: