Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1427 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 8:48 am
[ img ]
More progress on the 1965 Destroyer

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 11:53 am
Even not complete yet,it starts to seem very good.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 3:46 pm
[ img ]
There's still a few tweaks left, but overall I think she's done.
I want to fit her with a drop-down sonar, but I'm unsure if it's possible. Depth restrictions means that I can't accept the increase in draught a permanent sonar dome would bring along.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 4:10 pm
look at the solution that the Canadians used on their Tribals. Your retractable sonar might be smaller than theirs and so the cupola also smaller. However, bear in mind that your ship would've been in high demand for the STANAVFORLANT! So depth concerns should probably not be too great then!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 4:25 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
look at the solution that the Canadians used on their Tribals. Your retractable sonar might be smaller than theirs and so the cupola also smaller. However, bear in mind that your ship would've been in high demand for the STANAVFORLANT! So depth concerns should probably not be too great then!
True, but she'll also have to fit into existing shore facilities, and she'll also spend a lot of her time in Danish and Baltic waters.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 4:41 pm
Exactly! Hence a retractable dome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 5:53 pm
This is an excellent project; giving the Peder Skram class so much more 'bottom'. The actual class always looked larger than they were in real life, but now you have the space to allow so much more: one the best designs for ages :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
This is an excellent project; giving the Peder Skram class so much more 'bottom'. The actual class always looked larger than they were in real life, but now you have the space to allow so much more: one the best designs for ages :)
Thank you. Size really was the downfall of the real world Peder Skram class for two reasons. 1: They had a radar cross section the size of a ferry and 2: their armament looked comparatively small. Like our Chief of Defence in the mid seventies said: "We could the same weapons on a ship half the size." Unfortunately he said that where our politicians could hear it, and that's were the Niels Juel class came from.

Anyway, I've added a retractable sonar and the screws and a few other details.
[ img ]
Final armament
  • 2 x Twin Bofors TAK120
  • 4 x Bofors 40mm L/70
  • 1 x Mk 13 GNLS with 40 RIM-66 Standard MR
  • 2 x 2 21" ASW/ASuW Torpedoes
  • ? x Depth charges

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 9:06 pm
[ img ]
I realized I'd forgotten to ad the bunting. For those of you who're wondering, the two white dots on the flag means she's commanded by a Vice-Admiral. The pennant is the commissioning pennant. Normally, you're supposed to fly the flag from the aft mast, but the ships design doesn't allow that. Similarly, the commissioning pennant is supposed to fly from the top of the main mast, but that just looked wrong when I tried it, hence the somewhat unorthodox placement.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: January 4th, 2012, 10:58 pm
I like it very much! Looks like old 'Skram' is ready to kick some serious a**! Very good placement of the retractable dome and nice re-sizing of it too! I'm suitably impressed, my friend!

Oh, and btw, she is not commanded by a Vice Admiral, right?!? Or does the Konglige Flåde possess that many supernumerary flag-officers? 8-) - What you meant to say is that she's the flagship of a taskforce, e.g. STANAVFORLANT, where a Vice Admiral could quite naturally be in command! Her commandant's title would be Orlogskaptajn, right?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1427 »

Jump to: