Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 2nd, 2012, 9:46 am
Quote:
You're aware that on the DDG you have green positioning-lights on both port and starboard!?!
will fix
Quote:
I think sales of AEGIS to an ally are unlikely, especially in that era. But never mind that.
after discussion with TimothyC we decided this would be the earliest possible year an export could have been done. and if it would have been done, the Dutch were one likely customer, except for the fact that they designed their own stuff. it might even have been that they licence build or bought the SPY-1 and connected it to their own SEWACO system.
Quote:
I get that you want a gun, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Shrinking the Mk 26 magazine is a BIG hit to ship capability, and for all that I'm not sure how much it helps here. You've freed up a ton of volume, sure, but it's not in the right place. You have to move around a ton of internals. So much so that shrinking the magazine might only be a small fraction of the total work you have to do. Honestly, I think it might be easier to go the Type 42 direction and stretch the ship a little bit. Then you could keep the full-sized magazine.
Regarding the above, you're not subject to Zumwalt's extremely picky limits, so a stretch could surely be worked in. Hell, you'd want to do it anyway to have any potential for future growth.
the problem is that resizing is out of the question. the Dutch will most likely classify this ship as an frigate politically, because the government is unlikely to pay for an destroyer. any enlarging will make it more unlikely they will pay. stupid, I know, but that is how the Dutch government works :P
that said, indeed, the capability goes down. but with 44 cells, this ship is just as capable in missiles as the recent LCF (which has 40 cells and space for another 8) before that the RNLN never had anything larger then an mk 13 on an frigate, with also 40 missiles. the only thing that might have been done is the fitting of some mk 141s.
it might indeed take a lot of reconstruction, but in reality that would be just what the Dutch would do :P in fact, I think they would have rebuild the mast and bridge as well. easier to keep the original design? yes, that is true, but with this modification it would better fit the Dutch requirements.
Quote:
I'd consider a shift to a Dutch sonar system. It would be better suited to the areas of patrol typical to their NATO duties, rather than the super deepwater capability emphasized by the USN.
good point. I will fix that, didn't even think of it, to be honest
Quote:
You already have two directors. The third smaller director for gunfire use is unnecessary.
I added it for 2 reasons:
- back up, both in case of damage or if too many targets pop up for the 2 240's, seeing that the STIR is not as capable as the SPG-62.
- CIWS. the original design had 360 degrees cover of the phalanxes, this design has 200 of the GK and 200 of the gun (approximately) to have this gun working as CIWS an additional director was needed, while the STIR 180 is a bit big for only that role the above role justifies it.
Quote:
Remember your helo is quite a bit smaller than SH-2. You definitely have the volume to shift to Goalkeeper. I might try to raise it a little bit. Remember you want the Goalkeeper as close to centerline as possible so as to not block the SPY-1 field of view.
the goalkeeper is in the centerline. can't get it better than that ;) the hangar is at one side, the reload room and the boats on the other. I am positive this will work, looking at the hangar arrangement of the perry and S frigate. I am not certain the SH-2 would still fit in there, but with lynxes it would fit for sure ( especially as we consider the same thing for the Dutch perry above, which has the same arrangement but with an double hangar)

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 2nd, 2012, 10:22 am
acelanceloet wrote:
Quote:
I get that you want a gun, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Shrinking the Mk 26 magazine is a BIG hit to ship capability, and for all that I'm not sure how much it helps here. You've freed up a ton of volume, sure, but it's not in the right place. You have to move around a ton of internals. So much so that shrinking the magazine might only be a small fraction of the total work you have to do. Honestly, I think it might be easier to go the Type 42 direction and stretch the ship a little bit. Then you could keep the full-sized magazine.
Regarding the above, you're not subject to Zumwalt's extremely picky limits, so a stretch could surely be worked in. Hell, you'd want to do it anyway to have any potential for future growth.
the problem is that resizing is out of the question. the Dutch will most likely classify this ship as an frigate politically, because the government is unlikely to pay for an destroyer. any enlarging will make it more unlikely they will pay. stupid, I know, but that is how the Dutch government works :P
that said, indeed, the capability goes down. but with 44 cells, this ship is just as capable in missiles as the recent LCF (which has 40 cells and space for another 8) before that the RNLN never had anything larger then an mk 13 on an frigate, with also 40 missiles. the only thing that might have been done is the fitting of some mk 141s.
it might indeed take a lot of reconstruction, but in reality that would be just what the Dutch would do :P in fact, I think they would have rebuild the mast and bridge as well. easier to keep the original design? yes, that is true, but with this modification it would better fit the Dutch requirements.
I have to say that I am a fan of a hull stretch to get the 76mm gun and the full Mk-26 Mod-2. I'll look at placement options for this later today.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 2nd, 2012, 6:18 pm
Cutting down the magazine for the gun does make sense if cutting down the magazine is the whole point for political purposes.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 2nd, 2012, 6:28 pm
uhm... we are talking about the mk 26 magazine, not the gun.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 7th, 2012, 1:01 pm
[ img ]
well, update. lenghtened the ship slightly to fit in both the mk 26 mod 2 and the gun, moved some cooling systems to the hangar (in the space which is free because the helicopter is much smaller)
because of this the cabinet room can be a bit larger and give room for the additional dutch systems, especially the STIR control cabinet.
I have modified the bridge to be a bit more 'dutch'.

well, any other comments or can I call this one finished?

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 7th, 2012, 2:14 pm
You've done something odd with your numbers on the left facing bottom one...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 7th, 2012, 2:17 pm
I know, one of the layers duplicated without me wanting it ;) fixed on my own version, will be fixed soon but I keep it for now, waiting for other comments.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 7th, 2012, 3:08 pm
I think you can fit two separate Mk.141 Quad behind the main mast or in front of the bridge like Type-23 since the Netherlands Navy always prefer separate Harpoon launcher over launcher them from Mk.13 GMLS IMO

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 7th, 2012, 3:11 pm
I could, indeed. there is no need for that though, because the mk 26 mod 2 has more then enough space and capability for some harpoons.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: January 7th, 2012, 5:43 pm
I'd be leery of adding anything like that above the main deck anyway. This was an EXTREMELY tight ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: