Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1768 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: December 29th, 2011, 11:29 pm
I'd fit a couple of Maxim guns or your equivalent on her for close in protection against torpedo boats. They can also double as crew served weapons for any marine attachment you might send ashore, or as boat guns.
Torpedo boats were the boogeymen of the time and the fairly calm waters of the Mexican Gulf is ideal for their operation.

Btw, aside from the navy you post here, are you posting other parts of your AU on other sites? The hints you drop about the army from time to time is intriguing.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: December 30th, 2011, 3:27 am
Quote:
Btw, aside from the navy you post here, are you posting other parts of your AU on other sites? The hints you drop about the army from time to time is intriguing.
I haven't posted on other sites for my AU. Not sure which ones are out there, really. I've just quietly worked on it from my desk at home for several years. SB is really the only place where I've posted any of it, and only for the Navy so far. As I get into WWI I think I'll be able to include more of the other services into my posts.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: December 30th, 2011, 5:09 am
Looking forward to seeing where this goes...as a Texan myself, I feel a certain connection to this thread! :)

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: December 30th, 2011, 2:48 pm
In 1910, another revolution begins in Mexico. As with previous revolutions, the Army's garrisons in El Paso, Brackettville, Laredo, Rio Grande City and Brownsville are alerted and begin active patrolling of the Rio Grande to prevent rebel incursions into Texas. Neglected for several years while the Navy expanded, the Army was given a 15% pay raise to compete with Naval Pay and Allowances, but still maintained excellent weapons and equipment.

The Navy pays little attention, concentrating on fleet expansion as the Mexican Navy is no threat to the Gulf Coast. It devotes its time to construction programs and achieving parity with other South American navies.

The years 1910-1920 will be the most difficult, most active period for the Armed Forces since the American Civil War and the French Intervention in the 1860s.

When doublechecking my fabricated history, 1910 is the place to start expanding what I post about the Republic of Texas. I've got more material for this AU than just for the Navy, so with the approval of the moderators, I would like to begin making additional posts to include activities and developments for the Army and, starting in 1920, the Texas Air Force. These posts would include FD scale drawings and other (properly credited) drawing formats that may come from other sites.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: December 30th, 2011, 5:11 pm
You have my approval.

-TimothyC

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: December 31st, 2011, 2:59 pm
Report of the Congressional Naval Review

1. In the achievement of parity with rival nations, such as those possessed in several navies of the South American Continent, partial progress has been made. Therefore the following resolutions are proposed to the Congress:

A. Authorization of the construction of two battleships, of the type currently possessed by the great powers and the United States, and as recently delivered or laid down for Brazil, Argentina, and Chile. The armament shall be equal to or more powerful in quality than that currently proposed or constructed.

B. In the possession of both light and heavy cruisers, our current strength of six and two may be considered adequate, however only the heavy cruisers and the reconstructed cruiser Invincible (now armed as a light cruiser) are capable of attaining the previously mandated minimum speed of 20 knots. The remaining light cruisers, the oldest of which approaches twenty years and the youngest three, will be surveyed for the feasibility of attaining the required speed on reconstruction. Should the studies prove reconstruction as infeasible, the Congress should authorize the immediate construction of a replacement to maintain the current hull strength.

C. In the establishment of a destroyer force, the current hull strength of eight ships is adequate, and the speed attained also, however, it is recommended to the Congress to authorize the construction of twelve more vessels to attain a ratio of two destroyers per existing or projected capital ship.

D. In the expansion of the Submarine Squadron for the purposes of mobile coast defense, the current fleet of six boats is considered adequate. However, two of these boats are approaching technological obsolescence and marginal effectiveness and are recommended for transfer to reserve status for the establishment of a Submariner’s School. Two replacement submarines are recommended for authorization.

E. Authorization for the construction of two auxiliaries, oilers to accompany squadrons or naval groups to extend their range when needed, or to offer refueling in designated friendly ports where fuel oil is not available.

F. In the authorized strength of the Navy, an increase from 6500 to 10,000 men is recommended.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: January 1st, 2012, 8:50 pm
BBs about the same as those for Brazil, Argentina, and Chile, eh? So I'm guessing they'll mount 12- or 13.5-inch guns, then?

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: January 1st, 2012, 9:02 pm
Lotsa good unused BB designs from that time... can't wait to see what Texas uses!

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 9:26 pm
Congress approved the recommendations made to it by the Navy, and in one single appropriation bill the hull strength of the Texas Navy nearly doubled yet again.

The two battleships were contracted to yards in the United States, and two new Light Cruisers were authorized to replace the Guadalupe Class, which could not be economically rebuilt for oil-fired powerplants and maintain expected demands for increased speed. The Light Cruisers were awarded to Gray's Iron Works, the only shipyard in Texas big enough to construct vessels with the deeper drafts allowed by the Galveston Ship Channel.

Four of the 12 planned destroyers went to Levingston on the Sabine River, which put all four of its slipways to work on the contract. Another four were awarded to an upstart yard in Orange called National Shipyard. These were the Dallas class destroyers, the first class of ship ever built in such a great quantity for the Texas Navy:

[ img ]

They were unique in that they were powered by British Parsons turbines, which made them very efficient at high speed but widened their turning radius. They could make a respectable 24 knots, though there were rumors they were faster (if the turbines were allowed to run at capacity - someone was worried that the new powerplant wasn't as reliable as the expansion engines).

The remaining four destroyers were evenly split between Levingston and National the following year, while Gray's remaining slips were used to build two fleet oilers.

Two submarines were contracted to Electric Boat in the Unites States, and in two years all the authorized vessels would fly a Lone Star Flag except the battleships. They would be delivered much later, since their size required more time to construct them.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

Last edited by Redhorse on July 1st, 2012, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 9:36 pm
Heh, cute design :)

I think people forget what it was like to serve in the navy (any navy) back then, especially on small ships like this. Most people will probably look at that drawing and assume the bridge crew were in that small little "conning tower" (emphasis on quotes indeed) - Nope! The bridge crew - even the captain - were expected to be exposed to the weather and conducting operations on this small little deck barely big enough to actually accommodate them, even under battle/stormy conditions, and to be standing the whole time no less. And that during WWII these conditions improved for Tin Can bridge crews in that they at least added something of a wall around them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1768 »

Jump to: