Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 965 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: September 29th, 2010, 3:55 pm
I do agree that the stern is of questionable sense. I suspect the sonar dome (being a rather higher frequency unit) is narrow enough that anchors aren't a huge issue, but I'm not going to stress too much about it. Definitely the less important issue right now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: September 30th, 2010, 6:25 pm
[ img ]

Total redesign of the thing. I'm aware this will probably attract more shit to the fan and odd looks than the previous design but hey, it's only me.

I'm not overly sure on the shading for the funnels. They're meant to cant outwards but as it is the shading just looks odd to me.

Weapons fit for now has been changed to one using real life weapons until I sort out a proper sheet with the indigenous ordnance and systems on it.

(1x 127mmm/64, 2x SeaRAM launchers, 8x RGM-84M, 4x 8 cell launchers mounted with the Harpoons and 4x Oto remote 12.7s)
(1x Medium general purpose helicopter 2x MQ-8Bs - For the GP/AAW version) (2x medium ASW helicopters - for the ASW version)
(2x RIBs / USVs in the stern launched and retrieved via crane - the area can also or instead of the boats take modular containers) - (distributed around the ship are another 4x RIBs)

EC645 is sitting in for the Seahawk for now due to the hoo-hah about the dimensions of the existing ones.

Got rid of the pumpjets from the powerplant, now they'll run on two shafts (CODLAG)

Now, time to hide from the inevitable deluge of things I've done wrong. Regards, Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: September 30th, 2010, 7:35 pm
beautiful ship! However IMO when you equip a ship this size with a Smart-L, I would at least fit a weapon like the SM-2 on board. Placing the SeaRAM on the forward platform looks like a waste of space, you might want to rethink the option of installing the main VLS there and a secondary midships (like you already have). This would allow you for the ship to carry long-range SAM's and/or cruise missiles.

Otherwise excellent work!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: September 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm
Blackbuck wrote:

Total redesign of the thing. I'm aware this will probably attract more shit to the fan and odd looks than the previous design but hey, it's only me.
I don't know why, since it actually conforms closer to modern conventional DDG/FFG engineering principles than your previous design.

The only points of contention I see is that the stab fins might be too large still (though that's not a bad design feature; in fact there are more benefits than negatives to larger fins) and as pointed out above, your weapons are lacking for SMART-L/S1850. Actually, the forward "bay" where you have RAM right now looks like it might be a good place for a second VLS bay, which would be something more befitting a sensors suite like this (though I'm aware that currently all SMART-L/S-1850 equipped DDGs/FFGs are "single-ended").

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: October 1st, 2010, 12:36 am
With that sensor suite SeaRAM isn't what I would mount, I'd mount a full RAM launcher.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: October 1st, 2010, 7:07 am
Deleted

Last edited by Colombamike on March 30th, 2011, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: October 1st, 2010, 10:08 am
Your ship looks much better. The shafts for the props will not emerge from the skeg but from the hull much further forward. I like the little ladders down to the waterline from those side doors even though I can't work out why anyone would want to climb down there.

There is no issue with the Seahawk size. The concern was raised using a wrong length measurement: the length of a Seahawk with the tail folded with a picture of the Seahawk with the tail locked in flight position.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: October 1st, 2010, 10:50 am
Colombamike wrote:
Blackbuck wrote:
Now, time to hide from the inevitable deluge of things I've done wrong. Regards, Mark.
I disagree with you on some points. is the dokdo an air defence ship? it has smart-l.
section 3 isn't too large, because it has an VLS bay inside (If I'm not wrong)
on the other points I more or less agree with you.

@ blackbuck: it's looking really good! it needs some improvements, but I suppose this is just the first version.

btw, I thought the smart-l couldn't work together with an I-mast?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: October 1st, 2010, 10:58 am
TurretHead wrote:
Your ship looks much better. The shafts for the props will not emerge from the skeg but from the hull much further forward. I like the little ladders down to the waterline from those side doors even though I can't work out why anyone would want to climb down there.
The pilot would, for one. And they're also usefull if you're transferring personnel via smallcraft that won't fit in the RHIB bay. And in a pinch it'll serve as a way for someone who drops over board while the vessel is at anchor to get back on board. Actually, with that in mind, I'd extend the ladder a meter or so below the waterline.
And one thing this ship lacks is a gangway.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Dominion of AtlantiaPosted: October 1st, 2010, 12:44 pm
I could go for the same sort of fit as the T45 radar wise considering Atlantia's location I suppose.

Section 3 does indeed hold a VLS in it as well as the 'normal' launchers for the Harpoons.

@ Other points, will get around to editing them this afternoon / evening after I dry out from the deluge I've just walked home in...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 965 »

Jump to: